Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just saw the match, I can't say anything that hasn't already been said here. I was 100% sure that they were going to score Rua the winner.

My other complaint other than the decision is the posters in this thread. Its annoying as hell reading through this thread when everybody hides their post in the "spoiler" box. I saw the fight 2 days after it happened, and that's exactly why I stayed away from the UFC 104 thread until then. I mean, seriously, what the hell do you expect walking into this thread after the fight is over?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 5:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I didn't expect Rua to be back in top shape this quickly, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I, too, feel the fight was scored rather badly. While it wasn't like Machida was overwhelmed, he certainly didn't manage to wrap his head around Rua's timing and was taking the harder shots during short the exchanges. Even in the one "lengthy" exchange where Machida came at Rua most of those punches missed or hit Rua's guard whereas Rua's punches were less but far more effective (that one right hand Rogan commented on).

Upon seeing the fight 5 times now (six later on today, it was that enjoyable for me!) I cannot help but disagree with those saying Machida's shots staggered Rua and were therefore much more damaging, when the fact of the matter is they seemed to be slight tags rather that full-on punches (check some of the pics at sherdog and other places). Rua seemed to have Machida's timing down for the duration of the fight and was looking in better shape by the end. Lyoto was visibly tiring at a slightly faster rate than Shogun and his legs surely paid the price of all those leg kicks; Machida had developed a limp by the start of the 4th round.

Personally, I believe Rua took it and Machida knows it. Whether he admits it or not, he was visibly flustered by Rua's gameplan. Good thing, too! Who'd want him to grow complacent?

As for the argument "to be the champion you have to beat the champion", it's hogwash. If such a thing were the standard Rampage would still be champion. Rua clearly outstruck Machida nearly 3 to 1 by my count. Those saying body and leg shots don't end fights or aren't damaging enough probably haven't had enough shots to their own midsections or legs (go spar with a kyokushin practitioner without using protective gear and see what that's like!).

Hopefully, Shogun will be able to add to his clearly effective gameplan and prepare pertinent contingencies for the changes Machida will obviously make to adapt to Shogun's new approach.

Can't wait for the Rematch as this was one of the most technically enjoyable full-distance title fights I've seen.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 5:57pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    You still didn't answer any of my questions, but I have one for you. How was he fucked up? His ribs were red and he had a cut lip. Shoguns body was just as bad.
    His legs, face and body all looked much worse than Shogun's. And for good reason, he took more damage in all three areas, especially the legs.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 5:59pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't look at his legs, but he was moving just fine at the end of the fight so they didn't stand out to me.
    This is wrong.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite View Post
    Machida was fucked up at the end of that fight.
    No worse than Shogun. I'd say Shogun was hurt a lot worse.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 6:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you honestly feel Shogun dominated that fight?
    NO, but he sure did some damage regardless.

Did you feel that that decision was worse than Bisping/Hamill?
    Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Machida said it himself: "All 3 Judges gave me the win, there was nothing I could do about it. Sorry guys". Bisping? Isn't that the guy that got his head ripped off by Hendo recently and will get pwned again by Denis Kang?

Did you feel that Joe Rogan wasn't swinging from Shogun's nuts?
    Joe Rogan is a pain in the ass, and Goldie is an idiot. When Randy retires he should take Joe's place, or bring in Bas or even Mir, IDK. And yes, he was swinging like a brazilian monkey.

Did you feel those WERE the most devastating leg kicks ever?
    NO. People should also look back at Ruas/Varelans (UFC 7), Couture/Rizzo (UFC 31), Spratt/Lawler (UFC 42), and even Jardine/Gouveia (TUF 3 Finale) come to mind. Randy actually said in an interview that he was limping for weeks after that beating.

Did I say I felt Machida won that fight?
    You said "it was an extremely evenly matched fight. I wanted Machida to win, but I would not be upset at all had Shogun won". Shogun clearly took it to him and executed his plan to perfection. To me, it feels like Shogun figured Machida out. Shogun looked amazing and very prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenclavicle View Post
    Man, I didn't expect Rua to be back in top shape this quickly, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    My thoughts exactly. An example to follow even by Machida, actually. Lyoto might have won the decision, but Shogun and his corner gave a clinic.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 8:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    No worse than Shogun. I'd say Shogun was hurt a lot worse.
    I'm assuming this is coming from your trolling persona.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 9:23pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Machida wasn't moving as effectively, and even said that the leg kicks hurt him by the later rounds.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 9:25pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you can make a good argument for Machida winning the fight, scoring on a round-by-round basis (and I discussed why here. You can't really make an argument that he took less damage than Shogun, though. Shogun clearly took damage - his face was pretty fucked up in the pre-fight press conference. But Machida had separated ribs from the body kicks and the damage to his legs was evident in round 5.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 9:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Cephalopod View Post
    his face was pretty fucked up in the pre-fight press conference
    There are nicer ways to call a man ugly.