Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 5:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is from Demi Barbito's website at :
    http://www.demibarbito.com/thewall.html

The Status Quo - The state of things as they are at the moment. The current state of affairs.

The status quo in martial arts...

* Instructors are allowing people to believe that there is some type of martial majic in the world.
    * Students are still looking for some kind of martial majic.
    * Instructors are looking for disciples not students.
    * Students are star struck by thier instructors.
    * Instructors do not teach all they know, even to thier advanced students.
    * Instructors/schools look at students as resources, not people.
    * Instructors/schools are still teaching people how to fight instead of how to end violence.
    * Certification is placed over abilty.
    * Weapons, ground fighting, OC Spray and firearms are horribly neglected
    * Combat Athletics (Attributes) are totally neglected.
    * Students accept what they are told instead of evaluating what they are told.
    * Schools/Instructors do not evaluate themselves or their programs periodically to see where improvements can be made to the tactics or training. Iíve been doing it this way since... and I will always do it this way...
    * Instructors donít train with their students.
    * Students are still being trained to fight against an opponent of the same style.
    * Instructors and students do not spend time training against uncooperative opponents.
    * Instructors and students are still repeating the same material for years and years.

Death to the status quo...
    He is the anti-McDojo. I would identify a McDojo the same way Demi identifies "the status quo"

Comments?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 5:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I couldn't agree more.

All those listed points are all the reasons I stopped wasting money on sham busnessman instructors, and started training myself. I have never saved more money or advanced so quickly.

All those reasons are also the reasons I train those I care about for free

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 6:00pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And he's JKD. Figures, hey?

The OTHER Vampire Slayer.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He "was" JKD. I don't think he likes to label himself with the term "JKD" anymore.

Many of the "reality in combat" people are walking away from their old organizations, not because they are disapointed in the organization itself, instead it seems to typically be because they feel confined by the definition of their own structure that being a member of the organization tends to label them.

And yes, many of them are, or were, JKD.

However, don't think all JKD is progressive. We could have an entire website on JKD McDojo's.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 6:02pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I've run into the JKD McDojos before.

Have you seen those guys that advertise their "combat" tapes with stuff like "After 20 minutes with this video, you will be able to kill anyone alive!" and it turns out that Paul Vunak's in the videos? He is so embarrased about those guys. I won't even name them but you can still find their ads in martial arts magazines.

The OTHER Vampire Slayer.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 6:03pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like TRS. They claim to be able to train you to black belt level in 30 days.

Speaking of which, there should be a 'Nuff Said section on the site. Something where something short like that clearly shows it to be a McDojo and no elaboration or article is necessary

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2002 6:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...Finally digging down in the forums.

Should be added to the list:

* Veneration of any martial art through legend/tales and not what can be seen.

The rabidity of FMA, IMA, etc. practitioners is understandable to extent. It's nice to have such strong support for 'your style', but it should be tempered by reality.

"The Spanish gained a foothold on the islands in the 16th century, but never in the Southern Phillipines. Even the parts they did control were plauged with constant bloody uprisings for hundreds of years."

You know, using only a few hundred troops or so for islands consisting of hundreds of thousands of people, will do that. I seem to recall something about several THOUSAND native WARRIORS not being able to kill about 100 Spanish soldiers... that's what lead up to the Spanish takeover. The names of the 'top' FMA families? Spanish. The names of most of their techniques? Spanish. The Filipino people truly had heart and had some great warriors, but they LOST to superior forces of much smaller numbers. As time passed, Spaniards established their own families and intermixed with the natives, blending Filipino art with Spanish art. However, as has happened to every empire that existed, they were far away from their homelands and 'went native', merging with the indigenous culture. That is why the FMAs exist today.

There's nothing shameful about being beaten. Just don't hide from the truth. Learn.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2002 12:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good thing to remember, too.