Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 1:53am

Style: Muay Thai, Kenpo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Backup Gun

As a rookie in the art of self-defense (and everything else, for that matter), how many of you on bullshido.net carry a backup pistol? I've always wanted to know the pros and cons of packing two pistols. In addition, what carry option do you use for your BUG? I did a search on this and didn't find what I was looking for. I say this because I'm thinking about purchasing a Glock 27 .40S&W to complement my G23. What about legal repercussions?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 9:19pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry 99% of the time and BUG about 85% in the Fall and Winter, none in the summer. I am a bit different in my approach to carrying. My primary carry ATM is a Glock 17 with my backup my Glock 21. I know what you are thinking, why carry the 9mm and backup with the .45? It is simple, the G21 is too damn big to carry all of the time. I have carried a Kahr CW9 and a little S&W .357 as a backup, but the 21 is my go to backup.

Legal repercussions? About the same as carrying 1 gun, but you end up less dead.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 12:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never ask "what gun should I get"----because these questions always come back to the MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION---which is---> "How much money do you have to spend?"

If you have less than $350.---do yourself a favor and get a hammerless, .357 Taurus. Between 400-500? Roll with a Glock 26-27. A Glock 23 is a good BUG, but consider the size. a Glock 23 IMHO is a little big for a BUG.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 9:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    Never ask "what gun should I get"----because these questions always come back to the MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION---which is---> "How much money do you have to spend?"

If you have less than $350.---do yourself a favor and get a hammerless, .357 Taurus. Between 400-500? Roll with a Glock 26-27. A Glock 23 is a good BUG, but consider the size. a Glock 23 IMHO is a little big for a BUG.
    So the BUG doesn't have to be the exact same model? I was thinking about the Glock 27, yet 90% of the Kahr series pistols are more concealable. My next question is how much ammo should I carry?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    I carry 99% of the time and BUG about 85% in the Fall and Winter, none in the summer. I am a bit different in my approach to carrying. My primary carry ATM is a Glock 17 with my backup my Glock 21. I know what you are thinking, why carry the 9mm and backup with the .45? It is simple, the G21 is too damn big to carry all of the time. I have carried a Kahr CW9 and a little S&W .357 as a backup, but the 21 is my go to backup.

Legal repercussions? About the same as carrying 1 gun, but you end up less dead.
    I was thinking about the Kahr series of pistols, yet their low magazine capacities kept me from fully committing. In addition, how much ammo should I carry? While there is no such thing as too much ammo in a gunfight, I have to think between comfort and concealment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 11:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will answer your last two posts as best I can without smashing my head into a wall.

1) No, your BUG does not have to be the same in any sense. I used to think I wanted to keep it all the same caliber, but I could care less about that now. I carry a BUG in the off-chance that my main carry go goes down, nothing more.

2) How much ammo? As much as you can. I have at least 1 extra magazine for each gun. When I teach an NRA class I let my people know that there is no magic amount, but nothing will turn your stomach than when you pull the trigger and it goes click and not bang. Some think I am nuts for carrying as much as I do, others think I should carry more. As long as I make it home alive, who cares?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 4:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    I will answer your last two posts as best I can without smashing my head into a wall.

1) No, your BUG does not have to be the same in any sense. I used to think I wanted to keep it all the same caliber, but I could care less about that now. I carry a BUG in the off-chance that my main carry go goes down, nothing more.

2) How much ammo? As much as you can. I have at least 1 extra magazine for each gun. When I teach an NRA class I let my people know that there is no magic amount, but nothing will turn your stomach than when you pull the trigger and it goes click and not bang. Some think I am nuts for carrying as much as I do, others think I should carry more. As long as I make it home alive, who cares?
    Thanks. Please forgive me for my ignorance.

Infidel

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 4:53pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, even though it's a military forum you don't need to come up with acronyms.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 10:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleau View Post
    Please forgive me for my ignorance.
    About what?

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post

To which acronyms areyou referring?

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    BUG is a common acronym in the USA among LEOs and NRA members concerned about CCW.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast