Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 10:13pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the WHO thing....could'a been a Rick Roll for all you guys know and I would never.....well maybe.. but I digress.

Me being a noob and all my attempt at bringing serious (albeit drunken) discussion to a serious thread was thwarted by my noob status and thus my post got relocated to newbietown completely out of context and exposed to the wolves.

Anyway my post started here: American Top Team, Say It Ain't So! - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

The OP Vince Tortelli(sp?) started thus:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I know we have a lot of guys from American Top Team on these boards, so I hope they can clear this up one way or another. Is it true that ATT is running a program where karate/taekwondo/wing chun/whatever high ranking belts attend a weeks worth of classes at Top Team in Florida, receive a bunch of instructional books and DVDs, then get a certification to teach MMA from Top Team?

Allegedly, there is at least one karate school in Memphis that has done this to add "MMA" classes to their curriculum, I'm praying that this is not true because Top Team is one of the most respectable schools/fight teams in the world right now and if they are selling out to McDojoism like this...is there hope for any of us?
    Why yes, there is hope. You have to but look to your nearest "karate/taekwondo/wing chun/whatever" school and determine if the curriculum they teach is right for you.

Let's see, so I have just moved to a new city and look in the phone book or on the internet for martial arts schools....no wait even better "MMA" schools and what do I see? Hmm well there is this no-name MMA school that has no credentials and then we have one that is successful and established and in some way affiliated with ATT and is allowed to fly their flag. WHO (here we go again with the WHO thing) but yeah who would you lean towards? And which one do you think will stay in business longer?

Ok yeah so the ATT affliliate is a TKD school and now they teach some ATT level 1 stuff or "MMA" hey it's mixed right?

By virtue of these folks having been in business for awhile presumably and trying to adapt to what's going on in the martial arts community and *gasp* maybe even make a buck they are being crucified. See, some people say oh, well you are just a shotokan school and by getting ATT certified you are just jumping on the latest bandwagon. But if some of these same schools fail to recognise t3h d34dly MMA or groundfighting you dismiss them out of hand. Can't have it both ways folks.

Anyway props to Kintanon's post he made probably the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    MMA is a ruleset, anyone can compete under that ruleset.
    Karate, TKD, Wing Chun, Wrestling, Judo, Muy Thai, BJJ, JJJ, Savate, Boxing, Ballet, Yoga, Pilates, anyone can try their hand at MMA.

Oh, and go tell Lyoto Machida his art sucks. I won't

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 10:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHammer View Post
    Oh, and go tell Lyoto Machida his art sucks. I won't
    Why you're scared. I have no problem doing it. Having done Shotokan for many years I will still say it sucks. Machida didn't change that. Why? Because he's not a pure Shotokan fighter he ALSO trains Muay Thai, Boxing, and BJJ. Thinking that Shotokan is solely responisible for his victories is ignorant.

FYI Machida is not the first or only champ to have a back ground in Karate. Hell GSP is a Kyokushin Karate BB as well. The reason for their success is because they are excellent atheletes with a outstanding work ethic.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 10:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    The reason for their success is because they are excellent atheletes with a outstanding work ethic.
    So based on your observation then any "excellent atheletes with a outstanding work ethic." will trump anyone else, style not important?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 10:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Why you're scared.
    Not really, never expect Mr. Machida to look twice at me. Or you, or anyone else for that matter. I don't try to start fights. But I can damn well assure you that I am more than capable of ending them.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 10:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the WHO thing....could'a been a Rick Roll for all you guys know and I would never.....well maybe.. but I digress.

Me being a noob and all my attempt at bringing serious (albeit drunken) discussion to a serious thread was thwarted by my noob status and thus my post got relocated to newbietown completely out of context and exposed to the wolves.
    It had nothing to do with you being a noob or noob status. That thread is discussing ATT and the bullshido vs McDojo vs a legit MMA program.

While your question may have been birthed through that thread, it added nothing to the debate topic.

Yes, see the link in my post?
    You know, the one directly below your first post?
    The one with the exact same link you just reposted?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It had nothing to do with you being a noob or noob status. That thread is discussing ATT and the bullshido vs McDojo vs a legit MMA program.

While your question may have been birthed through that thread, it added nothing to the debate topic.
    I believe my argument has credence relative to the thread despite your opinion to the contrary. Opinions + Admin power trump all I guess.

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 10:54pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So based on your observation then any "excellent atheletes with a outstanding work ethic." will trump anyone else, style not important?
    Don't be a penis, nothing in the world is simple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 10:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusdbrutus View Post
    Don't be a penis, nothing in the world is simple.
    So don't complicate it and add pithy comments irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 11:00pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe my argument has credence relative to the thread despite your opinion to the contrary. Opinions + Admin power trump all I guess.
    Of course you do. That is a MABS thread. You admit to being drunk when you posted.

See this:

Why yes, there is hope. You have to but look to your nearest "karate/taekwondo/wing chun/whatever" school and determine if the curriculum they teach is right for you.

Let's see, so I have just moved to a new city and look in the phone book or on the internet for martial arts schools....no wait even better "MMA" schools and what do I see? Hmm well there is this no-name MMA school that has no credentials and then we have one that is successful and established and in some way affiliated with ATT and is allowed to fly their flag. WHO (here we go again with the WHO thing) but yeah who would you lean towards? And which one do you think will stay in business longer?

Ok yeah so the ATT affliliate is a TKD school and now they teach some ATT level 1 stuff or "MMA" hey it's mixed right?

By virtue of these folks having been in business for awhile presumably and trying to adapt to what's going on in the martial arts community and *gasp* maybe even make a buck they are being crucified. See, some people say oh, well you are just a shotokan school and by getting ATT certified you are just jumping on the latest bandwagon. But if some of these same schools fail to recognise t3h d34dly MMA or groundfighting you dismiss them out of hand. Can't have it both ways folks.
    Althoug a rehash of things stated is relevant to a MABS thread.

This:
    WHO is responsible for MMA
    Legit question, not trolling I promise so don't get your rash ...er panties in a bunch. Given the tenor of this thread.... I just wanna know.......kinda stupid (I know, I know) where do I contact the governing body of MMA? No, really, who do I call? I mean... people train in MMA all the time right? I just read alot of posts by alot of people who are passionate about not having their MMA distilled by krotty or TKD, or for the love of Christ ATT wannabes so... I think my question is legit.....WHO is responsible for MMA??? OK flame away....
    Is a troll post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 11:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a noob I can't be expected to be responsible for my posts and so you guys know where the relevant noob posts go... I'm likely to **** myself too so we have to be careful of that..... one never knows.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast