Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 6:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitchslapper View Post
    When it comes to nails how short is short enough? I thought my finger nails were pretty short, but I still managed to make a little piece flake off one.
    Don't let them extend beyond the finger. Make a T between your fingertip and your palm (like a "time out" sign) and if you feel nails, cut em. Make sure the edges are smooth too--use a nail file in one direction only.

Quote Originally Posted by bitchslapper View Post
    Ok i have a better question. When should you start competing? I asked a similar question on judoforum http://judoforum.com/index.php?showt...st=12&start=12 and got lots of obtuse answers.
    I say, as soon as it's safe--ie, you can breakfall and generally know the rules. The real answer is "your coach/sensei knows; ask them." Holding off doesn't really help you in any measurable way: it's silly to think "I'll get good first, then I'll compete. You get good by competing.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2009 12:02am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Ok i have a better question. When should you start competing? I asked a similar question on judoforum http://judoforum.com/index.php?showt...st=12&start=12 and got lots of obtuse answers.
    Yesterday

.....thread bump.....

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    2/24/2010 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nitpick.
    Dave Camarillo also has some words on what judo develops for the jujitsuka:
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/da...e-bjj-1018848/
    he appears to be talking about what judo develops for the jiu-jiteiro (bjjer), not jujitsuka (jjjer).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2010 8:57am

Style: Legalese

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are some good videos of Judo techniques, explained and demonstrated in exquisite detail. Copyright reserved by respective claimants.

For each technique, the video introduces the basics with demonstrations, followed by close-ups, different angles, and slow-motion playback. Variations are shown also. Then examples are shown from high-level competitions (world champs, Olympics, continentals, and the All-Japan). Narrations are given in surprisingly clear English.

These videos have personally helped me understand the techniques much better, and hope they will assist others to do the same. They can also be downloaded directly (see the "download video" link on each page) from Google Video, or can be converted and downloaded using http://keepvid.com/ or http://vixy.net/ (I haven't tested them).

Nage-waza part 1: Part1: Nagewaza (standup grappling) techniques in Judo

Nage-waza part 2: Part2: Nagewaza (standup grappling) techniques in Judo

Ne-waza part 1: Part1: Newaza (ground grappling) techniques in Judo

Ne-waza part 2: Part2: Newaza (ground grappling) techniques in Judo
    Last edited by 2Many; 3/09/2010 9:12am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 6:25pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, "sensei" is going too far even in a recreational club. I've never had any judo teacher ask me to call them "sensei". "Sir/Madam" is enough until you are on first-name basis. I personally would be a little turned off if an instructor ordered me to call him "sensei".

I'd like to mention that "attack and don't stiff arm" is equally valid in newaza as it is in tachiwaza. Don't turtle up and do nothing and don't attempt to camp in your partner's guard either.

One last thing. Don't do stuff you haven't being taught properly first. This goes hand in hand with "work stuff you've being taught during the day". The risk of injury to your partner is enormous considering that you're fucking dumping him on his back with little to no clue as to what you're doing. When taught and practiced properly, judo is very safe, even if it does not look like it. It's when people start aiming higher than they should shoot that injuries occur.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    In my experience, "sensei" is going too far even in a recreational club. I've never had any judo teacher ask me to call them "sensei". "Sir/Madam" is enough until you are on first-name basis. I personally would be a little turned off if an instructor ordered me to call him "sensei".
    although i call all the black belts in my dojo by their first names, i *certainly* address my sensei as "sensei". since this is a FAQ, i will point out that if your instructor is: japanese, in his 70s, and a hachidan from the kodokan, you address him as "sensei."
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 7:36pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    although i call all the black belts in my dojo by their first names, i *certainly* address my sensei as "sensei". since this is a FAQ, i will point out that if your instructor is: japanese, in his 70s, and a hachidan from the kodokan, you address him as "sensei."
    Well, point taken for Japanese nationals, but I've never met a white martial arts instructor who wanted to be called "sensei" other than Aikikai Aikido types. Granted, I haven't met -everyone-, but I think that if it were my first class, I would err on the side of caution and throw sirs or madams around instead of "HAI SENSEI!" It's certainly more neutral and well, to me at least, less overzealous.

Hell, it might even be a cultural distinction between schools in French Canada and schools in the US or elsewhere. We're not strong on formality in any context here - to the displeasure of the older and oldest generation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 9:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    Well, point taken for Japanese nationals, but I've never met a white martial arts instructor who wanted to be called "sensei" other than Aikikai Aikido types. Granted, I haven't met -everyone-, but I think that if it were my first class, I would err on the side of caution and throw sirs or madams around instead of "HAI SENSEI!" It's certainly more neutral and well, to me at least, less overzealous.

Hell, it might even be a cultural distinction between schools in French Canada and schools in the US or elsewhere. We're not strong on formality in any context here - to the displeasure of the older and oldest generation.
    It's totally different for Japanese nationals. They view it as the appropriate title for a teacher. Respect and the proper honorifics are significant in the Japanese language. I called every one of my Japanese language professors in high school and college "sensei [last name]" because that's the appropriate term in context. It isn't something out there to stroke their ego, it's just what you do. It isn't embedded in the culture of your average Anglo to be called "sensei"

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 12:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Howdy,

Judo was (remains!) my first choice, but I cannot find a Judo school in the Shreveport, La. area.
    I've been told that Judo might not be my "best" choice, since I'm 47 and very overweight. I can say that Judo has always looked like the most fun martial art I've ever seen.

Posted On:
    10/09/2011 12:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coach Josh might know if there's something in your area. He's from Baton Rouge or something.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12