Posted On:
    9/18/2009 12:12pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Minden Sticks

I came across this page during my internet wanderings:

http://www.mongrelcombativearts.com/...sticks_62.html

To sum up the page, it discusses a training tool the author calls a Minden stick. A Minden stick is basically a curved, hardwood stick used to test proper body angling and footwork.

The page is pretty vague but the idea seems interesting. I haven't been able to find anything else on Minden sticks or something similar so I thought I would see if anyone on here has any experience with this type of training and could elaborate a bit more on it.

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 11:53pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks interesting I'd at least try it out. I'm curious though how it translates to using a regular straight stick. I need to see it in action. It seems to work similiar to a japanese kama if i'm picturing it right.

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 12:51pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically it makes you get in deeper on deflections, non?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 9:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    So basically it makes you get in deeper on deflections, non?
    That's what my thought was. It would make you come in for a deflection sooner, as well as getting in closer. Also, you would probably angle your body more to avoid the hook.

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 10:35am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course, just feeding hooking thrusts with a normal stick does much of the same thing, only moreso.

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 8:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Of course, just feeding hooking thrusts with a normal stick does much of the same thing, only moreso.
    That's kind of what I was wondering. If the goal of the sticks is to train one to defend against a specific type of srtike, why not just throw that strike? Still I haven't tried them out so whatever, they still might be cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 10:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd definitely like to see these in action cos at the moment I can't really see how they would be useful. That site seemed very taken with them though so I'm sure there is something I'm just not seeing.

As said above, maybe they are only used to defend certain strikes but even then I can't see why you just would not defend with a normal stick throwing that strike. I definitely can't see them being useful against every form of strike and indeed for some would imagine them to be counter-productive, for example if I want to use an augmented block against a kurbada strike in close quarter sparring it might condition me to throw my block out way further than it needs to go.

So, not convinced so far but would like to see them in action.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figure the only way we are going to get to see these in actions is for someone here to play with them. I plan on seeing if I can make a set of these to test out. If anyone has any ideas of were I could find something similar to them, please PM or post on here.

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 10:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by escrimador6 View Post
    I figure the only way we are going to get to see these in actions is for someone here to play with them. I plan on seeing if I can make a set of these to test out. If anyone has any ideas of were I could find something similar to them, please PM or post on here.
    Maybe just practice against a set of rattan practice kamas? I think i've seen them around, hell the majority of kamas i've seen couldn't do damage to a paper towel. Or maybe just cut off the end of a hockey stick and pad it a little, it's kind of hard to determine the overall size of the things from the picture I looked at.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 6:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some very blurry pictures of these being used on that website. They are in the gallery under 'The Roof'. There may be something in the video section but I only had a quick look and couldn't see any demos of them there.

As for size I reckon they're probably the same as your regular rattan stick judging from the triangle on the floor they're sitting on (assuming that triangle is used to practice footwork).

I'd be very curious to hear how you get on with these escrimador6. The fact they've been around since before 2003 but are not known kind of suggests to me that they're not that useful but you never know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast