Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 4:10pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF? Why do you guys crank subs? Did you study under John Kreese?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait. i'm confused. there's a version of judo where you don't try to throw each other and sub each other for 75% of the class?

i guess i should be glad to be in the dojo i'm in.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 3:08pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was randori Friday.

10 minutes at the end of class.

I almost feel like I'm being baited and taunted.

This is NOT enough.

We'll see how this week goes. If Thursday doesn't turn into the awesomeness it was supposed to be and that I am yet again taunted with a little piece from the steak, I'll consider voicing my complaints.

After all, I did take 3x a week to have a day where we were supposed to randori. Else I would've taken 2x. I'm a little pissed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 6:20pm

Style: Judo, BJJ & Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    There was randori Friday.

10 minutes at the end of class.

I almost feel like I'm being baited and taunted.

This is NOT enough.

We'll see how this week goes. If Thursday doesn't turn into the awesomeness it was supposed to be and that I am yet again taunted with a little piece from the steak, I'll consider voicing my complaints.

After all, I did take 3x a week to have a day where we were supposed to randori. Else I would've taken 2x. I'm a little pissed.
    I haven't visited your classes and I haven't seen you do judo. Unless you are a very talented 1st kyu for whom first dan is well over due then you club training method might actually be what you need.

I must also say that your posts make you sound like an arrogant, clueless, newb.

Nage Komi on the move, i.e. throwing on the move is far more beneficial to your kyu grade judo than "rumbling". If you lock horns you will pull off the odd throw here and there and progress will be slow. Throw for throw low resistance randori or nagekomi will help you internalise techniques far quicker. Once you can perform them smoothly and with easy then you start to up the resistance.

I've trained with several world medalists. We train light and loose allowing and giving opportunities. This way technique can be developed and the risk of injuries is reduced.

Thousands of uchi komi and nage komi are required to grasp the fundamentals of a throw. After this nage komi on the move and light randori take it up a gear.

Also don't be a dick and crank submissions on beginners.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 8:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds to me like your sensei got hosed by all the lower level beginners showing up. He had to change the practice to adapt to who showed up. I have had that happen when I teach class. I will plan on a kick-ass class, but then some total beginners happen to show up and I have to modify my plans.

He could have had randori, but just let the lower level beginners randori with each other, or use them as rest rounds for the more advanced beginners such as yourself, or just have them sit out and watch, or do some sort of drills off to the side.

My suggestion is you be patient, and try to realize that technical training is good for your shiai performance. I understand you want to "rumble", I like to do that too! Give your sensei more time to adjust to the situation and see what happens.

I would not personally speak to him at this time.

Sometimes, I, as a judo teacher, decide that randori is not a good idea for one reason or another, and that's just the way it is. I know better what students need to do than they do.

Anyway, good luck!

Ben Reinhardt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 10:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It sounds to me like your sensei got hosed by all the lower level beginners showing up. He had to change the practice to adapt to who showed up. I have had that happen when I teach class. I will plan on a kick-ass class, but then some total beginners happen to show up and I have to modify my plans.

He could have had randori, but just let the lower level beginners randori with each other, or use them as rest rounds for the more advanced beginners such as yourself, or just have them sit out and watch, or do some sort of drills off to the side.

My suggestion is you be patient, and try to realize that technical training is good for your shiai performance. I understand you want to "rumble", I like to do that too! Give your sensei more time to adjust to the situation and see what happens.

I would not personally speak to him at this time.

Sometimes, I, as a judo teacher, decide that randori is not a good idea for one reason or another, and that's just the way it is. I know better what students need to do than they do.

Anyway, good luck!

Ben Reinhardt
    You're most probably right. As I said, he knows how to teach judo better than I do.

I'm probably overreacting because I'm a spoiled brat.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 2:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my advice:

most clubs have several black belts who don't generally teach but have keys to the dojo. my guess is you have a couple, and that while they are not interested in teaching a real class with a curriculum like your main instructor, they'd be happy to come in and open the door for five senior guys to do randori for an hour. It's much easier to run a class that consists of 10 minutes of warmup, 10 minutes of uchikomi, and 40 minutes of randori than to run a real instructional class like your main instructor does. It should be possible to talk to one of the older black belts who has a key about this without being disrespectful to the main instructor(who might be grateful for the break of running one of the classes.)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 12:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do Shaolin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoolol View Post
    You're most probably right. As I said, he knows how to teach judo better than I do.
    Trusting your instructor is always a good thing...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 10:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well false alert. I'm getting the **** knocked out of at least 20-30 minutes each class.

And it feels good.

Carry on.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 10:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon do, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Just go up to people in the street and do it.
    I think that would result in a cranked face.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast