Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 10:34pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help please! Not enough randori!

It wasn't always like this. We used to have a good 30-45 minutes each Friday. However, that waned.

So last semester, my teacher told us there was going to be a new competitive class on Thursdays, and confirmed it when the season started last Monday. I was happy as all ****. I am, by all means, a competitor. I do not eschew kata, but my main focus lies in competition. I want to rumble, damnit. I got into Judo to rumble. So I'm always up for more rumbling.

So yeah, I thought it'd be great happy fun times. The competitive class was supposed to be upper grades (sankyu to dan ranks) only. There was a show of hands last Monday to see how many would be interested in a competitive class consisting of a warm-up, and randori. 6-7 of us, including me, raised their hands. We were told Thursday would be randori night.

So I show up. For absolutely no reason, lowbies show up when the teacher made sure to say that it was supposed to be upper belts only. Eh, if they want to rumble too, that's fine. I mean, randori isn't for upper belts only. We warm up.

Newaza randori! This is starting well. I am with a white belt. I pull guard, fake a sankaku and go for the armbar on the flailing arm. I think about cranking it. Just as I start to crank, teacher tells me to stop and be gentle. I forgot. It's my error, I take responsability. I was an asshole towards the lowbie, although I distinctively remember getting subs cranked as a lowbie by higher belts. I make a mental note to not use submissions against lowbies, only pins. I usually go with the brown and blacks, so I'm used to cranking stuff. I apologise and show the new guy some basic newaza stuff to repay my debt for trying to crank a sub (I did not crank it, for the record). After a few rounds where I showed him stuff, I decide I also want to improve. I work on my takedowns on knees. I successfully use kuzushi to pull off a knee version of tomoe-nage, tai-otoshi and kata-guruma. I go for pins. All is well. He does not seem to be angry with me. I am happy with newaza randori.

Next goes nagekomi. When is tachiwaza randori? No matter. I **** up an uchimata and my partner fucks up his ukemi (he was the same rank as me; we had switched partners beforehand). I then decide that since it's my second class after a 3 months hiatus, to just go for my tokui-waza, harai-goshi. I haven't lost my harai too much. Pretty cool.

Then...more nagekomi? Except curriculum nagekomi? Hold on, aren't we supposed to do tachiwaza randori? I practice my curriculum. We go with the gokyo, so I practice my go-to sacrifice throw, tani-otoshi. I screw around with sukui-nage, do not raise my leg enough for o-guruma, and teacher calls...matte? We're done? Really? No tachiwaza randori at all?

I decide to ask the teacher when we are supposed to rumble. A brown belt seems to wonder the same thing. I know he also is in that class to rumble. I instantly like him because he is competitive, but not in my weight class. Too bad. He (teacher) tells me that the brown belts want to go black and have to revise their curriculum. But we were supposed to randori, not revise curriculums. Not like they don't have Monday and Friday for revising. That day was supposed to be my Adventure Island of awesome, but I've lost it to jerks who want to do nagekomi all day.

I mean, if they got their points, then woohoo I'm happy for them. But when I will be ikkyu and have to worry about shiai to get points for shodan, how the heck am I going to get MY points if I'm barely used to rumbling and get ipponed each time I step on the tatami? I'm going to randori at ikkyu? I'm going to be one bad ikkyu.

Sorry for all the text but I wanted to make sure the context was there.

To the meat and potatos : I want to tell my teacher that I don't care about the jerks that want to do nagekomi all day, and to REALLY get us a day for randori. I mean, the man has tried. He is sympathetic to the idea. I don't blame him. I'd rather blame the nagekomi recreational jerks who make up the majority and show up to a competitive class to do yet more compliant nagekomi.

However, I ALWAYS pass as a smartass when I ask things like that. I give the impression that I know how to teach judo better than the teacher, which is obviously false. I mean, I enjoy my club, but there's a time for the nagekomi jerks to do their compliant drills, and I gladly do nagekomi when on their turf. There should be a time to randori too, and to have no nagekomi jerks ruin it.

How should I ask my teacher for a randori day clear of nagekomi jerks? I don't want to pass as a smartass. I thought about :

-explaining that I don't want to kiss the mat every time I step on it when it's time to go for my shodan
    -that I want to use what I learn in nagekomi and apply it in randori to get a fuller idea of the spirit of judo
    -that rumbling is fun

Are there any other arguments given the context above that you can give me?
    Last edited by kikoolol; 9/17/2009 10:47pm at .

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 10:38pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just go up to people in the street and do it.

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 10:47pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of JMA jargon in there but I feel ya man. I have yet to find a place that spars enough to my liking. Still all i've done is TMA. I wish the few guys I train with now sparred more. It's frustrating. I hate the whole "you must perfect everything" before you can fight mentality. I think you can work on both. One day focus on mainly technique maybe spar a round or two, the other day do the same or spar more, and on the weekend it's on fight fest! But no... you have to strike at the air 1,000 times and then more. Sure this isn't Judo i'm talking about here but damn I know the feeling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 11:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Talk to your instructor. He's the only one that can fix this. It would be best if you did so privately (to remove any appearance of grandstanding), but **** he's the one who called it a competitive class. You are not the one derailing this. Wanting to get better at judo strikes me as a fairly valid reason for training in it.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 12:09am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you talk to him in private, he'll probably be more receptive. Tell him you wanna compete in tournaments, but you're not getting enough experience in randori. He should be sympathetic to doing tournaments, but if he's not I'm afraid you might want to find somewhere else that is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 12:51am

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll second, and probably follow myself, the advice about having a heart to heart with sensei about high velocity physics.

I can sympathize because I go to an Enshin dojo that seems to* spar... only very rarely. For a few minutes. Considering that Enshin is a Kyokushin offshoot, this is Not Right, and considering that the sensei has been doing Kyokushin since the early 70s, is Very Not Right. Honestly, if I wasn't hard gay for Kyokushin(and its offshoots) I'd drop it and just train boxing five days a week, or boxing three and Wrasslin' based MMA the other two.

*I say seems to, as I've only been going there for five months; I do not know if there is extracurricular assbeating going down after class, or if they used to spar more before I joined, or what.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 6:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    If you talk to him in private, he'll probably be more receptive. Tell him you wanna compete in tournaments, but you're not getting enough experience in randori. He should be sympathetic to doing tournaments, but if he's not I'm afraid you might want to find somewhere else that is.
    Unfortunately, not an option. I live in the boondocks.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was a lot of text to tell us your coach advertised a randori session and then delivered a regular class.

How many of these sessions have you attended? Is there some kind of big grading thing coming up? Seeing as how you live in the boonies, I'm guessing there's less opportunities to get the necessary panel together to hand out dan ranks. It could be that while he had every intention of putting on a randori class, one of the browns voiced concern about an up coming grading and he thought "fine let's wait a two weeks, get these guys graded and then we'll switch up the training routine"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 10:19am

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the reason I left my Judo Dojo. Went from plenty of Randori, both Tachi and Ne-waza to almost none.
    When he started making Randori a treat, I left.
    Im planning on going back soon, seeing if its changed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    That was a lot of text to tell us your coach advertised a randori session and then delivered a regular class.

How many of these sessions have you attended? Is there some kind of big grading thing coming up? Seeing as how you live in the boonies, I'm guessing there's less opportunities to get the necessary panel together to hand out dan ranks. It could be that while he had every intention of putting on a randori class, one of the browns voiced concern about an up coming grading and he thought "fine let's wait a two weeks, get these guys graded and then we'll switch up the training routine"
    Only one to date. Today was the first week of Judo. I plan to give the class a couple more chances to deliver on awesome. If not I'll be dissapointed. Not like it was free. Though I suppose I'll gain technical proficiency that much faster, but that's not making me any better in shiai which was why I took a class more than I usually do in the first place.

I heard him say to the other competitive dude that he would do "45 minutes of randori after warming up" that day. Also when the cool brown belt asked if that class was the best one to get some rumbling done, teacher said yes. It's possible that some recreational jerk then went and whined because mister had a grading soon and wanted to do more compliant nagekomi to impress panels and thus robbed us of our fun. My instructor is a pretty cool guy and I have no reason to believe he decided to do nagekomi instead of randori to piss us off. I believe that the load of lowbies that had no business there in the first place + nagekomi jerkoffs forced his hand.

On another note, Friday used to be randori day. We are Friday and it will be the first Friday I attend this season. Perhaps he decided to make Thursday technical and Friday rumbling instead. I'll update after I go.

If I lived in Montréal I'd be all over the Shidokan like a crack whore. Unfortunately I'm quite far from there. Everyone knows Montréal is the sole city in Québec and thus has to have all the nice goodies *snickers*
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast