--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Saigo ha daito ryu.

I'm posting following reading the this in the old bushido thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ht=saigo+daito

I found this while looking up information on the association. I started training under Martin Rodgers over 6 years ago, and at the time he was not affliated to Saigo ha daito Ryu. I was also training under him at the time he became affliated, and when he broke away.

He is currently a member of the BJJA, and the club has returned to it's former name.
    http://www.bjjagb.com/index.cfm?page=20

I'm writing this as an update to the information in the previous thread, mainly because I do not believe my instructor was a fraud, but that the club got ripped off by John Williams. (Who incidently offered to teach a seminar in England, but never actually kept his word.)

Thanks.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've read (E-budo and Aikidojournal have lots of discussion) the lineage is highly suspect. OTOH, some of the guys connected to them are pretty good.

There's also confusion in that there's a Japanese Saigo line that is legitimate and has nothing to do with the one being taught in N. America and the UK.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything containing "daito ryu" should be approached with caution. There may be genuine stuff somewhere, but so far I haven't seen any.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only genuine Daito Ryu I know of in the UK is run by Quentin Ball of 'Nine Circles' fame.