Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 10:23am

Style: TKD/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where a lot of the spotty quality comes from is the decision the KMWW folks in LA made to enter a "partnership" with the ATA TKD folks. They would let people come and take a course in LA and qualify them to tech the Level 1 curriculum. In my opinion, they should have been more careful with their material and not allowed many of these people to teach KM as an advertising gimick. There is just no way they could possibly hope to monitor the quality of instruction while spreading the system around so quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 1:10pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _V_ View Post
    Where a lot of the spotty quality comes from is the decision the KMWW folks in LA made to enter a "partnership" with the ATA TKD folks. They would let people come and take a course in LA and qualify them to tech the Level 1 curriculum. In my opinion, they should have been more careful with their material and not allowed many of these people to teach KM as an advertising gimick. There is just no way they could possibly hope to monitor the quality of instruction while spreading the system around so quickly.
    Quoted for Truth

Krav Maga, when it comes from a competent, qualified instructor, is very good. (Cross-training is never a bad idea, though.)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brianhuard View Post
    We have a Krav Maga by where I live, the instructor was a black belt in two other styles before incorporating Krav Maga.

He has "trimmed the fat" out of the other styles, eliminated ineffective strikes, and synthesized the Krav Maga he teaches to incorporate the best of 15 years of instruction.

Seems pretty legit, trains police, swat, etc.

That's always a good sign.... if the cops in your town train there, and they are kicking azz on the bad guys then the style must be good!
    Please do not use law enforcement as proof of martial effectiveness. They have guns, pepper spray, cars, batons and more importantly a radio.

That said, I like the time I put into Krav. We had full contact sparring and did some simple groundwork (escapes, arm bars).
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 2:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do Shaolin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl View Post
    Please do not use law enforcement as proof of martial effectiveness. They have guns, pepper spray, cars, batons and more importantly a radio.
    Maybe you misunderstood. I was not trying to say "Krav Maga is kickass because law enforcement uses it" but rather "My local Krav Maga studio must have some credibility, local law enforcement trains there."

I think that endorsement of a particular local studio (not a system) is a vital piece of evidence.

These men need real world martial arts, the same as soldiers.

I mean, isn't the whole idea of Krav Maga military and law enforcement training, anti-terrorism?

PS the kicking azz part was semi humorous... However, here in Los Angeles and Riverside CA the bad guys do have semi automatic weapons, fully automatic weapons, rocket launchers, meth and pcp to deaden the pain, Humvees, Escalades, and more importantly Iphones with the latest 3G networks.

So if I was a cop I would look for real world martial arts, and there's obviously a group here where I live that believe Krav Maga is it. Not all train there, some at MMA Gyms, some at Ju Jitsu, etc...
    Last edited by brianhuard; 9/23/2009 2:19pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 2:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You realize, you just backed up what he typed right?

No, it is not a valuable piece of evidence.

Maybe you misunderstood. I was not trying to say "Krav Maga is kickass because law enforcement uses it" but rather "My local Krav Maga studio must have some credibility, local law enforcement trains there."

I think that endorsement of a particular local studio (not a system) is a vital piece of evidence.

These men need real world martial arts, the same as soldiers.

I mean, isn't the whole idea of Krav Maga military and law enforcement training, anti-terrorism?

PS the kicking azz part was semi humorous... I am so tired of putting a lol ofter every post so as not to confuse.
    OMG please stop.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 2:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do Shaolin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, it is not a valuable piece of evidence.

Please enlighten me as to why.

"No, it is not" is not a weak argument, it's actually no argument at all.
    Last edited by brianhuard; 9/23/2009 2:39pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 - The army has employees psychic hand to hand instructors.
    2 - The police regularly train in aikido
    3 - The police usually call in backup and work in pairs

Cops are just a guillable as anyone. I have respect for them and what they do, but they are not above being idiots as well.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 3:40pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to throw in that Krav is broken into separate training vectors (civilian, law enforcement, military and third-party protection) and that depending on who is being trained and why their focus will be different; i.e. - the instruction of military personnel will focus inherently higher-percentage techniques because they don't need to be as concerned with 'reasonable-force' laws, whereas LE personnel will not only be focused on not killing their opponents but also being humane enough in their treatment that lawsuits won't be an issue.

Because of this you can't really cite it working for/being used by LEO's or the Military and say that it must work for any of the other three vectors (which it can and does, but it's better at some things than others.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 3:48pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems pretty legit, trains police, swat, etc.

That's always a good sign.... if the cops in your town train there, and they are kicking azz on the bad guys then the style must be good!

LOL. All the cops running in without guns or any other weapon on them looking to fist-fight evil-doers aren't really going to kick much azz. Not in NYC, anyway.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12