Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 7:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

krav maga

is this style good for real self defense . i have seen a few video clips of it an it seems like just wild punches an kicks anyone has any feed back please let me know

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 9:22pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmikebrody View Post
    is this style good for real self defense . i have seen a few video clips of it an it seems like just wild punches an kicks anyone has any feed back please let me know
    It varies in Quality, some is good some is really really really epically bad...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I worked with a couple of professional KM instructors recently and would give them a big thumbs up, both as teachers and re. the "realism" of what they were doing. Some of it wasn't to my taste, but I'd recommend it to beginners who wanted solid, relatively short-term/high-percentage self defense training.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 12:18am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with everything Ddlr said.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 10:41am

Style: krav maga, bjj, mma,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a good system if trained properly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try this for an overview:
    http://www.bullshido.org/Krav_Maga

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 7:11pm

Style: Legalese

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Maga is a martial tactic, more than a martial art. It's a handy thing to know for escaping from attackers. You don't need to win in order to survive an attack, you just need to survive, and good Krav Maga instruction will equip you with the mindset, tactics, and a set of techniques to enable you to do so.

But like most "reality" self defence systems, it's best taken with a good base skill-set (like boxing).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 9:52pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good krav maga school will have a fight class/grappling program.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 5:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga/MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have come to the conclusion that with Krav, you need to be very careful with who you are learning it from.
    In my opinion, look for an instructor who has a solid background in other arts such as kickboxing/boxing/muay thai, judo, bjj etc.
    unfortunatly it would seem that all the bad blood for krav is coming from the fact that there are a lot of places you can tain for 3 weeks with no prior MA experience and become a fully qualified instructor.
    Before you start paying to train somewhere, find out where they got their instructor qualification from and do some research into what experience was needed for them to obtain it.
    There seem to be a lot of bad techniques being taught by krav instructors, but after a while of training with one, you will probably get a feel for whether or not what you are learning is worth learning, or just downright dangerous.
    Also look for a class that pressure tests techniques and does some sparring.

After taking up MMA, i would definitely suggest cross training with some form of kickboxing, as that will greatly improve your striking techniques.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 1:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do Shaolin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueHolocaust View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that with Krav, you need to be very careful with who you are learning it from.
    In my opinion, look for an instructor who has a solid background in other arts such as kickboxing/boxing/muay thai, judo, bjj etc.
    We have a Krav Maga by where I live, the instructor was a black belt in two other styles before incorporating Krav Maga.

He has "trimmed the fat" out of the other styles, eliminated ineffective strikes, and synthesized the Krav Maga he teaches to incorporate the best of 15 years of instruction.

Seems pretty legit, trains police, swat, etc.

That's always a good sign.... if the cops in your town train there, and they are kicking azz on the bad guys then the style must be good!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast