221277 Bullies, 4459 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 13
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Mtripp is offline
    Mtripp's Avatar

    Choked out by Gene Lebell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Posted On:
    8/10/2009 10:26am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Foot Sweeps

    This months Black Belt has a story on Judo Foot sweeps. Its legit, don't get me wrong...

    ..but I disagree with some of the "angles" as shown.

    I will give you all a bit to check it out, then we will talk.
  2. Munacra is offline
    Munacra's Avatar

    I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,292

    Posted On:
    8/10/2009 10:46am


     Style: Gentleman Adventurer

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you post a link to the article? Right now this opening post is very vague, to be frank.

    As a sidenote,who designed this lame website design? It's hard to read, hurts my eyes, and the color scheme is all over the place.
  3. capt. moroni is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    245

    Posted On:
    8/10/2009 11:10am


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Master The Judo Footsweep" article in the latest "Black Belt Magazine" issue. Registration needed to read it online I think.

    Hence: "I will give you all a bit to check it out, then we will talk."
  4. Mtripp is offline
    Mtripp's Avatar

    Choked out by Gene Lebell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Posted On:
    8/10/2009 11:24am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by capt. moroni View Post
    "Master The Judo Footsweep" article in the latest "Black Belt Magazine" issue. Registration needed to read it online I think.

    Hence: "I will give you all a bit to check it out, then we will talk."
    Yep; with a screen name like that, I have to ask, are you LDS?
  5. sambosteve is offline
    sambosteve's Avatar

    Stillness is death

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,741

    Posted On:
    8/10/2009 11:04pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
  6. capt. moroni is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    245

    Posted On:
    8/10/2009 11:08pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Yep; with a screen name like that, I have to ask, are you LDS?
    Yes, though the term Jack applies as well.
  7. Mtripp is offline
    Mtripp's Avatar

    Choked out by Gene Lebell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Posted On:
    8/11/2009 5:02am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, The Stuff from Steve is outstanding, but I'd expect no less. I'd suggest the second one is to be mastered then used when a person blocks your osoto gari attempt with stiff arms.

    The problem now, with both Judo and Sambo, is how we classify stuff. I find the classic way, frankly confusing and almost useless.

    I think it is more correct to say we have lifters, rollers, blockers, and sweepers. The science guy in me wants to get all physics on you; but to keep it simple its about the mass. We can pick the mass up; we can roll the mass over something. We can block the base and pull or push the mass over the base, or we can sweep the base out from under the mass.

    Using that system, Steve showed you a classic blocker.

    O soto gari is a classic sweeper. So are foot sweeps. The problem is we really do not understand how to effectively attack that foot.

    The sweep against the knife in Black Belt is a great concept. The Japanese Subway police are huge on that. However, and I respect the author greatly, he is not in the right position. Notice he is sweeping the foot forward, into the toes. Sorry mate, but that just won't work. You stay upright by pushing with your toes. That drives them into their base and they won't move.

    However, if he turned a bit more, got a bit more to the sabaki spot, you are in position to hit the best way, to wit, "make them do the splits." I promise you, try it that way and you are in for a fun night, your partners not so much.

    Have fun.
  8. sambosteve is offline
    sambosteve's Avatar

    Stillness is death

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,741

    Posted On:
    8/11/2009 9:34am

    Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Ok, The Stuff from Steve is outstanding, but I'd expect no less. I'd suggest the second one is to be mastered then used when a person blocks your osoto gari attempt with stiff arms.

    The problem now, with both Judo and Sambo, is how we classify stuff. I find the classic way, frankly confusing and almost useless.

    I think it is more correct to say we have lifters, rollers, blockers, and sweepers. The science guy in me wants to get all physics on you; but to keep it simple its about the mass. We can pick the mass up; we can roll the mass over something. We can block the base and pull or push the mass over the base, or we can sweep the base out from under the mass.

    Using that system, Steve showed you a classic blocker.

    O soto gari is a classic sweeper. So are foot sweeps. The problem is we really do not understand how to effectively attack that foot.

    The sweep against the knife in Black Belt is a great concept. The Japanese Subway police are huge on that. However, and I respect the author greatly, he is not in the right position. Notice he is sweeping the foot forward, into the toes. Sorry mate, but that just won't work. You stay upright by pushing with your toes. That drives them into their base and they won't move.

    However, if he turned a bit more, got a bit more to the sabaki spot, you are in position to hit the best way, to wit, "make them do the splits." I promise you, try it that way and you are in for a fun night, your partners not so much.

    Have fun.
    Thanks Mark.

    I love over the back grip against stiff armers. Shoot that arm up and over and whamo! In a more practical usage, you can sneak a nice uppercut in there along the way ;)

    Regarding attacking the foot, I would agree. I see so many people that look like they are kicking a tree stump...LOL. Also, many folks who don't use the sole of their foot for the sweep and end up smashing their ankle (hurts like a bitch).

    I am going to pick up the black belt article today so I can check it out.
  9. BKR is offline
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    4,119

    Posted On:
    8/16/2009 12:33am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought the principle of reaping (kari/gari) and sweeping (harai/barai) were separate items. To classify both as "sweepers" (harai/barai) is a bit odd. In Judo, at least, the difference (in principle) is critical.

    I agree that what Steve is doing is not a sweep (as defined in Judo). The first one is an example of Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi (in Judo), a "blocker". The second one is a form of the same throw.
  10. judoka_uk is offline
    judoka_uk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,678

    Posted On:
    8/16/2009 10:54am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I always thought the principle of reaping (kari/gari) and sweeping (harai/barai) were separate items. To classify both as "sweepers" (harai/barai) is a bit odd. In Judo, at least, the difference (in principle) is critical.
    You're 100% correct.
    Gari/ kari refers to an attack when the weight is already placed on the foot that you intend to reap. I.e O uchi gari every one should know that to correctly perform O uchi gari you must place uke's weight on the rear right of their heel, if performing a right handed O uchi gari.
    Harai/ barai is used to refer to sweeps where the weight is being transfered either the weight is about to be transfered onto the foot or has just been transfered from it. I.e de ashi barai as uke steps forward he intends to place his weight upon his advancing foot, however, before he places his weight on that foot you sweep it out from underneath him. Everyone who's tried de ashi barai will know it is almost impossible to perform once uke's weight is fully transfered onto the advancing foot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.