Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2009 11:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Reclaiming the Blade" documentary

Saw this today. It's been controversial in the HEMA community for various reasons, but on the whole I'd say it's a good introduction to the whole range of European sword-related history and activities from fight choreography and modern fencing to SCA and HEMA.

The digital graphics are interesting if probably a bit over-done and cutesy in a few places, and the same could be said for the script, although the narration itself is done by John Rhy-Davies, a Welsh veteran actor who was probably the perfect choice for this project.

Numerous interviews with Bob Anderson (fight director for Lord of the Rings and other movies), ARMA director John Clements, swordsmith Paul Champagne and many others. The points that historical European swordsmanship was every bit as complete a martial art as anything to come out of Japan and that the stereotype of Medieval warriors as clumsy hack-and-bash brutes is a misconception are both very clearly made.

"Reclaiming the Blade" is worth a free download via NetFlix or rental, if you're into this stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 6:54pm

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is it controversal?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 10:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't really follow the controversy; from the bits and pieces I picked up, it seems that several groups felt that they could have been better represented, or didn't like the amount of time given to other groups, blah blah blah. Personally, I thought that the producers did a decent job in that area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 3:21am

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I didn't really follow the controversy; from the bits and pieces I picked up, it seems that several groups felt that they could have been better represented, or didn't like the amount of time given to other groups, blah blah blah. Personally, I thought that the producers did a decent job in that area.
    I though they were very decent for a TV/film crew.
    I think lots of the disappointment probably came from the fact that lots of group really gave their best and it always disappointing not to make it in the editorial process. As well people are not usually familiar with filming, unless you are the main feature, you send then 45 minutes, it will end up 1 to 2.
    at the end of the day, it need to match what they want. They asked us to do fencing wrestling on foot, armoured foot and lance, sword and wrestling on horse.
    I have not seen the final product,and may be I did not even make the final cut. At the end of the day JC and arma are in name in and out the HEMA world, Philippe Willaume and STMF/BHFS/Hemac is not.
    personally i am grateful they asked

They did pay for the rental of the equipment, and the film
    The aim of the movies was really in line to what Ddlr says and they did not portray HEMA as bunch of armchair fencer or tight hoose, period accuracy anally retentive re-enacting larpers.
    They gave credits on their website. So all the groups involved benefited of the marketing hype of the film pre-launch.
    phil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 1:21pm

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait a sec, "wrestling on horse."!? I maybe misunderstanding you but that sounds incredibly awesome / insanely dangerous. Got any videos?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 1:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was an impressive and very interesting display of "wrestling on horseback" at the recent WMAW conference. Basically, it's unarmed combat techniques suitable for one mounted knight to disarm/takedown another mounted knight, as detailed and illustrated in a number of the old German and Italian combat treatises.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 2:23pm

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    very cool, I'd love to see a demonstration of that sometime.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 2:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a small documentary crew filming at WMAW and I'm sure they would have shot the mounted combat display. I'll post here when the doc. is released.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 2:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a note that the demonstration was performed by a rider on a real horse and an assistant mounted on a wooden "equisim" training dummy horse, and was performed very slowly for reasons of safety; it was a play-by-play of the historical techniques, rather than a full-on "show".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 3:59am

Style: aikido, medieval fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Just a note that the demonstration was performed by a rider on a real horse and an assistant mounted on a wooden "equisim" training dummy horse, and was performed very slowly for reasons of safety; it was a play-by-play of the historical techniques, rather than a full-on "show".

We did it kind of the same way, but with 2 real horses. However mine was static and the other guy was cantering for the lance and sword and trotting for wresting.
    We sent the original to the production company; we were short on time so it was a film on Sunday at a jousting event, Ups on Monday.

Basically it lots of aikido/jutjitsu that you would do on the ground done on horse.
    My favourite are kote geishi or sankio from a bind,
    That and hooking the foot off your opponent’s stirrup as your drag him push him over.
    The real problem is that you do really need to know how to ride and so does your training partner. A horse can accelerate really quickly and we are talking 450-800 kgm so there is a lot of weight behind what ever you do.
    It really does happen in front of you when you are in a very stable position.
    On top of that the techniques are usually a double whammy you put is as much on yourself than the other guy is putting it on you.

That being said, you can train sitting on a table and having someone walks past you
    Personally it does help to understand the Zu fechten and the Zu laufen ringen.
    But that is me.

phil