Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2009 8:47pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin497 View Post
    And what kind of competition would allow a competitor to continue with injuries that greivous? Is that even consistent with Muay Thai competition? I know injuries can and do occur, but he's describing the kind of injuries you'd see in a motorcycle accident. What kind of force would it take to break the humerus, scapula, collarbone, AND separate the shoulder?
    No sanctioned competition would allow that fight to continue. Granted, he could have done that at a smoker or meeting of the local fight club (which would also explain why Google found nothing of the event or organization), but then again, he could also be exaggerating the hell out of a more believable story. I'd put money on the latter.

Also, how the hell did his opponent not finish a guy with those types of injuries? Especially since he was given four rounds to do so. I know that poor cardio does affect your strength, but it doesn't exactly turn you from "Bone Crushing" to "Feather Tickeling".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 8:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher66071 View Post
    True, most KMAs follow this way of decidng who is a master or deemed being called master.

Very true. Boxers are the best punchers in the world.

I have boxed and I have fought many Shotokan guys in my day and not even one Shotokan guy has come close to hitting as hard as a boxer. Nowhere in the world of close. And all makiwara training is good for is to condition the hands for hitting hard objects, IMO.

Not a dense pillow on the wall. A real makiwara which is a flexible but fairly stiff board that pushes back with as much force as you hit it with will tell you every time your punch is good and every time it's weak. Or if your body isn't grounded well enough project the punch outward.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/20/2009 8:51pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The makiwara does not give feedback as good as that of a heavy bag: The heavy bag, like a human body, is “front-loaded” and provides most resistance on initial impact; the makiwara is “back-loaded” and provides more resistance at greater extension. This post should provide some food for thought.

More generally, it’s ridiculous to think that Shotokan karateka should be better punchers than boxers:

• Many Shotokan practitioners spend too little time hitting pads and bags. Most Shotokan practitioners practice little or no heavy contact sparring; when they do, it’s a mix of kicks, punches, grabbing/off-balancing, and foot sweeps: A good karateka could be a poor puncher and make up for it in other areas. As far as I know, no one in the world makes a living from hard Shotokan sparring, thus there is no tremendous incentive to optimise punching power; even those who do try, don’t spend lots of time actually testing it in live sparring or fights, thus they may be lulled into complacency, or come up with methods that work on dead targets but not on live opponents.

In contrast,

• Most boxers spend lots of time punching pads, bags, and other boxers. Most boxers spend plenty of time on contact sparring, and when they do, punching is their only weapon (not their only technique, but their only offensive one). A boxer who punches poorly is a bad boxer. Pro boxers make a living from punching other people; entire careers can be made by figuring out how to hit harder. They have every incentive to improve punching power, and their power is put to frequent, objective tests. Boxers don’t go around fooling themselves into thinking that they hit hard; they know it (or know they need to work on it).
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2009 12:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, this isn't a thread for makiwara vs. heavy bag or Shotokan vs. Western Boxing.

Please take that stuff to the appropriate areas.

What I'm looking for is more information on any possible karate style called "Sadoki" and the "UKF" he claims to be a multiple-time World Champion of.

I want to make sure that I have my ducks all in a row before I make an appearance and talk to the guy, and I want to make sure that my arguments in favor of him padding his resume are both falsifiable and factually correct.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12