Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/15/2009 3:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ @ The Ohio State University

Hey, I just moved to Columbus and want to get rolling. I know there is are Gracie and Gurgel affiliate schools in town but was wondering if there was anyone on the forums that knew if there was a BJJ club or organization at The Ohio State University.

I could have sworn I saw evidence of one on the internets earlier, but now all I can find now are clubs for bullshido like "Dragon Phoenix Wushu", "Tang Su Do", and something called Seiei Kan Jujutsu.

Any Buckeyes out there to help a young buck out?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2009 8:14pm

Style: PTK, MT, & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check with the university Rec center and with the department that runs the university activity courses. Typically that will be the exercise science, physical education, or recreation department. They will be able to get you headed in the right direction. Heck, most of the time those groups have facebook pages so you might search there as well.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    9/15/2009 9:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohio state is for Wrestlers. I don't think they even allow BJJ inside the state lines. The only BJJ schools you will find are hidden underground schools meeting in secret. Your best bet is to go workout with the Ohio State wrestling team and pretend you've never heard of JiuJitsu until you manage to escape from that vile country.

Posted On:
    9/16/2009 9:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So no Buckeyes on Bullshido?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 1:53am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whisperingdeath View Post
    Hey, I just moved to Columbus and want to get rolling. I know there is are Gracie and Gurgel affiliate schools in town but was wondering if there was anyone on the forums that knew if there was a BJJ club or organization at The Ohio State University.

I could have sworn I saw evidence of one on the internets earlier, but now all I can find now are clubs for bullshido like "Dragon Phoenix Wushu", "Tang Su Do", and something called Seiei Kan Jujutsu.

Any Buckeyes out there to help a young buck out?
    No BJJ specifically at OSU, but there is a good judo club that is at the rec center and is only 50 bucks a quarter. Beyond that there is an FMA club that is actually an MMA club, but is really only the very basics. The wrestling club is also taught by a russian freestyle guy and is excellent. As for clubs to not go to, the japanese jujutsu club is bullshit. I was the president of the club for a while... stay away. If u can't tell I was a student at OSU until very recently when finances made me drop out. I am very close with almost everyone in the martial arts clubs there. If you need anything at all feel free to PM me or just post on this thread. Hope I was helpful.

Edit: Kintanon, you are confusing the poor lad. We here in the buckeye state just appreciate good top control and the ability to trake the fight to the mat at will. We actually have an ADCC world champ running a club in grandview, and a Jorge Gurgel affiliate close by run by a great brown belt. Don't judge us just on hammerhouse.
    Last edited by Beorn; 10/18/2009 1:58am at .

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 4:09am

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a very late reply, but as a BJJ and Judo practitioner at OSU (I train BJJ elsewhere) I recommend to join the OSU Judo club if you haven't already. You can always train BJJ after graduation. It will be hard to find such excellent, *competitive* Judo in comparison to the ever-popular BJJ. On top of that, there is an abundance of great ground work at the club, so you won't be missing out on that. The Judo club's members regularly do well at grappling competitions like NAGA and the Arnolds, even in the no-gi division.

While the ground work is not nearly as complex as it is at my BJJ club, the fundamentals are taught very well. Proper pinning pressure, escapes and reversals from pins, basic guard work, turnovers, reversals from under turtle, a lot of armlocks and chokes all taught well. Mondays and Wednesdays are usually instruction focused, and often have a bit more standing sparring. Fridays usually have specific instruction on whatever questions are brought up from experiences during the week and usually have a bit more ground sparring than standing. Sundays vary from entirely ground work to just half ground and half standing but usually are a "ground" day.

Of course, the standing instruction is excellent. It's hard, I won't lie. But it's worth it. Hitting your first real, technical throw is something you won't ever forget. Plus, if you ever switch over to BJJ later, everyone will be terrified of standing with you.

You basically can't go wrong with Judo.

Who knows? Maybe I've already done some Judo training with you. If not, I hope to soon.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 4:48am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Ohio state is for Wrestlers. I don't think they even allow BJJ inside the state lines. The only BJJ schools you will find are hidden underground schools meeting in secret. Your best bet is to go workout with the Ohio State wrestling team and pretend you've never heard of JiuJitsu until you manage to escape from that vile country.
    http://www.ohiomma.com/Fighters.htm

Just saying ... Lots of BJJ in there ... and that is just local to me .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 11:41am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the late replies, if you're looking for just BJJ there is also Ruff House run by Arthur Ruff who is a BB originally from Brazil. They offer top notch BJJ and are more affordable than the Gracie affiliate. They are located in Grandview which is not far from Campus.

If you are looking for more than just BJJ, I run a Muay Thai program nearby campus that also has a submission grappling class on Wednesday evenings. Just let me know.
    安氏八极拳学生

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2009 2:02pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also another late reply(From a lurker), but I've heard some good things about Buckeye MMA, and I was actually gonna try to check out a few classes from there, It's right by Morse Rd and Indianola Ave. I was also interested in taking Judo classes from the RPAC, however it's not much of an option for a non-OSU-student because of how they run their guest pass, unless you end up using a guest pass from another Judo student.

Tell me where you ended up going to, I'm still trying to find a good place as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 11:33pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    http://www.ohiomma.com/Fighters.htm

Just saying ... Lots of BJJ in there ... and that is just local to me .
    You are from cincy? Who knew?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast