...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help with 1911 reassembly

Whenever I field strip and clean my 1911 (Kimber TLE 2) it takes like 3 hours. In the first place it's because it's used and the previous owner evidently never cleaned the barrel so I tend to spend a lot of time scrubbing the barrel with a copper brush.

But besides for that I have a lot of trouble compressing the spring and getting the barrel bushing back into position. (EDIT: I've been putting the bushing and the thing that sits on the spring together and trying to force them back down into position together, twisting the bushing to the left at the last minute while trying to push the spring tube thing down a little farther to accomidate that.) Today I'm glad I was wearing safety glasses because the metal tube that sits on top of the spring went flying like five times. I think I used up all my grip and arm strength re-compressing the spring for at least an hour and trying to force everything into position.

I'm also kind of concerned because this time the side doesn't rack smoothly after I've put the pistol back together. I am worried that maybe somehow there's something grating on the recoil guide. As soon as I've rested up a bit I'm going to try to field strip it again (ARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!) and check it.

But then I'm not looking forward to fighting with the barrel bushing again.

Does anyone have any suggestions or methods for getting the barrel bushing and the spring back into position after cleaning a 1911?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 4:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I took apart the 1911 again and found out what the problem was. I'd but the spring on backwards, which you wouldn't think would make much of a difference, (it doesn't make a difference on my Ruger P97DC) but it did. The tighter end of the spring was moving back and forth on the recoil guide and actually apparently gouged out some scratches on the recoil guide! I put the spring back on properly and the slide moved smoothly again...and I don't suppose that a few scratches on the recoil guide will affect the operation of the gun.

I also found a how-to video on YouTube that helped me re-assemble the pistol in a more efficient manner. Basically, it turns out that I can put the barrel bushing on, rotate it to the left, and *then* put the tube on the spring, and force it down. It's much, much, MUCH easier this way. I am so relieved that I learned that.

This is the video that showed me how to do that: YouTube - Kimber Custom TLE II Field Strip Part V
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 5:33pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I also found a how-to video on YouTube that helped me re-assemble the pistol in a more efficient manner. Basically, it turns out that I can put the barrel bushing on, rotate it to the left, and *then* put the tube on the spring, and force it down. It's much, much, MUCH easier this way. I am so relieved that I learned that.
    That is exactly what I thought about instructing you to do, based on: A Video I Watched

High Resolution Version

I can't find the similar written instructions I read, and I decided to keep my mouth shut since I've only reassembled my 1911 once. Actually, my father did most of the work because he was still teaching me how to maintain my 1911.

It might only be due to my history with video games, but I find that video very solidly reinforces what I've learned about 1911 assembly.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 5:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just an update. This morning I took the Kimber to steel shooting and fired under 200 rounds with it. The only malfunction was a single stovepipe which happily occurred just after I'd hit the last target so it didn't affect my score. The scratches on the recoil guide don't seem to make a difference.