Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 2:50pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vitor Belfort: Karateka

Sherdog has an interview with Vitor Belfort in which he proclaims his love for Shotokan. Some choice quotes:

“People have a lot of respect for boxing and wrestling, but I’ve always had the vision of bringing things that are not being used in the sport, like I did with boxing. After that, I contacted Lyoto. We trained together a couple of times in Rio de Janeiro, and I felt his timing was from karate, so I started to get interested in karate again. Of course, I made some adaptations, as I combined karate with my boxing game. I’m adding a couple of nice things from Shotokan to my game.”

[...]

Asked about what aspects of karate impressed him the most, Belfort gave no pause. “It keeps you relaxed all the time,” he said. “You never show what you are going to do; you always do what the opponent doesn’t expect. I should say that karate is the art of hit and not getting hit. What impressed me the most was the reaction time.”

[...]

“Today, I’m pretty much focused on my karate training, but I’m also training my muay Thai and boxing with Shawn Tompkins, who is an amazing trainer,” he said. “Today, I should say that karate is the basis of my stand-up fighting, together with boxing.
    Belfort's a remarkable fighter on a solid comeback run after a few unfortunate years. It will be interesting to see how his game has evolved in this upcoming match with Franklin (who should remain conscious long enough for us to get a look, unlike Belfort's other recent opponents).
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 3:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does not compute.

In all seriousness, I didn't expect this. I'm impressed. I particularly liked his phrasing: "my karate, my boxing and my jiu-jitsu" (emphasis mine). There are some who believe this to be impossible--I just got told that it is impossible for me to have "my" judo, only to begin to know the greatness that is Kodokan judo, over on judoforum--but I believe synthesizing and internalizing an art is essential to truly knowing it. Belfort is obviously in tune with that.

I'd love to get more details on how he integrates boxing, MT, and karate for his standup. I doubt that'll be forthcoming outside of an instructional.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 4:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Afk, gotta go clean myself up now after reading that.

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 8:43pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Does not compute.
    There's truth in karate, though many on this forum would say there's no reason to bother looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I just got told that it is impossible for me to have "my" judo, only to begin to know the greatness that is Kodokan judo, over on judoforum
    Wow. I couldn't disagree with that JudoForum commenter more. There's a really good video interview with SamboSteve where he talks about what he did after his teacher moved back to Russia -- training with an Olympic boxer, a couple of pro MMA fighters, &c -- and how he had to figure out a way to make what they gave him part of his sambo. Likewise, I regard my training in BJJ and submission grappling as a way to improve my gongfu, which already contains quite a bit of Western boxing and wrestling in addition to various CMAs and kickboxing.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 8:43pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fascinating.

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 9:10pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he'll probably just bounce around a little more, try to be evasive, and THEN fist-spam.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2009 4:20pm

Style: Transitioning as usual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good read. Always nice to read the insight topics about what MA/fighting aspects drive somebody the most.

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 10:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And he gets ranked. I think the article is a little lame, but interesting.

English: http://www.tatame.com/2009/10/05/Vit...rate-blue-belt
    Português: http://tatame.com.br/2009/10/05/Vito...azul-de-Carate

Via http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=40830&hl=
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 11:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, it'd be kinda fun to hug some nuts, but I really didn't see any krotty in his fight with Rich Franklin; if the article didn't tell me otherwise I'd not believe it.

He DID look very Shotokan against Matt Lindland however.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 9:09am

Style: Genbukan Ninpo Bugei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It says in the article he got his belt from Mr Tanaka...are they referring to Tanaka of the JKA?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast