230507 Bullies, 4700 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 101 to 110 of 199
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. maofas is offline
    maofas's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,975

    Posted On:
    9/13/2009 1:07pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by galois View Post
    I showed my mum the car defence video. Even a 54 year old martial arts illiterate can tell he's full of ****.
    Sometimes my psuedo-wife needs to get past me in the narrow kitchen and she'll be like, "EXCUSE ME SIR FOOM FOOM FOOM" and start chain punching at me.
  2. permahudef is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    835

    Posted On:
    9/13/2009 1:23pm


     Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Sometimes my psuedo-wife needs to get past me in the narrow kitchen and she'll be like, "EXCUSE ME SIR FOOM FOOM FOOM" and start chain punching at me.
    :laughing4:laughing4:laughing4:laughing4
    That is so full of WIN!
  3. DKJr is offline
    DKJr's Avatar

    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,214

    Posted On:
    9/13/2009 1:52pm

    supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Careful fellas this guy is ready for your Sambo.

  4. Conde Koma is offline
    Conde Koma's Avatar

    Thumbs up!

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA (East Bay Area)
    Posts
    2,247

    Posted On:
    9/13/2009 2:16pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can we just, I dunno, fight the guy? Any wing chun guy, really, but preferably Och or any of his "amazing" students.

    Of course, the where and how are going to be issues, but I'd really like to put his "self-defense" situations to the test.
  5. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,061

    Posted On:
    9/13/2009 2:22pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can we just, I dunno, fight the guy? Any wing chun guy, really, but preferably Och or any of his "amazing" students.
    Wingy has gone to a throw down although he was slightly injured. He has also put up some videos.


    Of course, the where and how are going to be issues, but I'd really like to put his "self-defense" situations to the test.
    Then figure it out. You want to test them get on with it.
  6. sambosteve is offline
    sambosteve's Avatar

    Stillness is death

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,892

    Posted On:
    9/13/2009 3:13pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    You're not going to like my answer. Theres no way this can come off as not disrespectfull to a sensitive person but It's not my intention..

    In an art like BJJ and SAMBO there is an argument for what you're saying to a degee. those arts get pretty complicated but even there. a white belt in the first month learns HOW to do the very same arm bar that a black belt wins the ADCC championchips or NAGA. The fundamentals of BJJ and other competition based arts are thier drivign force. as Matt Thornton says: in "functional martial arts" there are no advanced moves.

    From my experience. A guy studyign muay thai for a year will learn or have been exposed to a good portion of the things that a 5 year veteran ammy fighter knows and does. The 5 year fighter is jsut much better at applying them and has better timing, attributes control, better conditioning and smoother technique.

    Same goes with boxing and wrestling. Once You learn the penetration step, sprawling motion and hip control and the motion of sitting out, you've won abt 40 percent of the batttle right there.

    So because combat sports are more "simplified" ie: (competition has filtered all the innefective bullshit) you are able to learn the HOW of what they do relatively quickly.

    In wing chun however, the art although only having 3 empty hands forms is still hundreds of individual movements that chained together becaome thousands of combos. Even if you studied wing chun adn knew what chain punching was and devised a way to counter it wing chun is a flowing adaptive art and would simply collapse to elbow, to block or slip that the chopping hand under the elbow shoots out and it continues.

    Wing chun posesses beginner, intermediate and advanced techniques based on level of timing and reaction to effectively perform them. If you studied wing chunfor a year you probably wouldnt have a firm enough grasp on the art to create an anti system for it. even with this said a year in anythign will give you a basic understanding of some things the guy in that style MIGHT do.

    This is my logic at least and as I understood it is Justin's as well.
    Actually, I love your answer because it shows how much you contradict yourself and don't undertand what you are talking about.

    So, through trial and error, competition based arts have weeded out the bullshit to a series of core moves and principles that work against resistance and are functionally effective. Ok, I get you...no argument there, except that while after a year you may have seen the fundamentals, it does not mean you understand or can apply the fundamentals. Your comments clearly point out that you don't undertand Throton's comments.

    Then you say that WC has multitudes of moves that need to be learned in order to master the style? So, my assumption is that by your logic, WC has not gone through the process of weeding out the ineffective bullshit. If it had, it would have weeded things down to several core moves that are proven functional and effective that you should learn in a year and spend the rest of your time mastering the details of. Even non-sport combat sambo consists of only a few principles from which to act. I could show them to you in 6 months. But, you would not understand how to use them well enough to move on from there effectively.

    My guess is that a college wrestler who has spent 4 years practicing his core takedowns and pins, would destroy a 4 year WC guy who has focused on learning his multitude of moves. Why? because the wrestler trains functional principles that work and have been tested over and over again. he has trained under severe stress and resistance and has confidence that his stuff works.

    I know you will bring up the multiple attacker and weapon scenario but, let's just talk one-on-one...like the FOOM video where it was mano-y-mano, no weapons or friends jumping in.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

    "disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao
  7. maofas is offline
    maofas's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,975

    Posted On:
    9/13/2009 5:11pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    can we just, I dunno, fight the guy? Any wing chun guy, really, but preferably Och or any of his "amazing" students.

    Of course, the where and how are going to be issues, but I'd really like to put his "self-defense" situations to the test.
    There's actually a significant number of chunners in my area that show up to TDs and spar. From what I've seen they're relatively normal logical people however, unlike wingchunx2!
  8. Kovacs is online now
    Kovacs's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    1,560

    Posted On:
    9/13/2009 5:28pm


     Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the musical references to FOOM have been done but I heard this on the radio today...

    YouTube - Will Smith - Boom Shake The Room

    ... and it all came flooding back to me in all it's glory.
  9. theotherserge is offline
    theotherserge's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North of San Francisco
    Posts
    4,458

    Posted On:
    9/13/2009 6:03pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    can we just, I dunno, fight the guy? Any wing chun guy, really, but preferably Och or any of his "amazing" students.

    Of course, the where and how are going to be issues, but I'd really like to put his "self-defense" situations to the test.
    I could use a new car, hmmm....FOOMFOOM/OPPA-OPPA-OPPA/FOOMFOOMFOOM/OPPA!OPPA!! etc

    ^Wing chun vs Sambo battle-kiaiz
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
  10. sambosteve is offline
    sambosteve's Avatar

    Stillness is death

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,892

    Posted On:
    9/13/2009 7:20pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the **** of it, I searched sambo vs wing chun and found this video from Germany

    http://www.myvideo.de/watch/1506677/Fight_Attack_Cup
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

    "disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.