9/10/2009 9:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shoto Jitsu Karate

http://www.ralphsmithkarate.com/home.html

Grandmaster Ralph Smith

Ralph Smith Karate -Shoto Jitsu is not just another Karate school. There are no quick ranks, guaranteed belts, or false claims. Each class is taught personally by Grandmaster Ralph Smith along with certified and qualified instructors under the Shoto Jitsu Karate system. Disciplined but exciting, each class will hold the student's attention therefore improving the ability to learn. Learning builds a sense of accomplishment. Each accomplishment will bring self confidence that will be helpful for a positive student growth for life. Help your child bring out their hidden greatness and the ability to believe in themselves by enrolling them in Ralph Smith Karate where we always offer NO contracts, NO enrollment fees, and family discounts. Ralph Smith Karate is located at 750 Washington Ave in Revere, MA 02151. We can be reached at 781-284-RSK1 (7751) or by email: rsk@ralphsmithkarate.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .
    Anyone in the area know about this guy?

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 10:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a very broad question.

The site looks like a straightforward highly-marketed McDojo with a few grandiose claims, e.g.:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ralphsmithkarate.com/student-info/rules/53-proper-etiquette-rules.html
    # Support Ralph Smith Karate by purchasing official clothing and equipment
    # Purchase your own equipment and put your name on it
    # Tell and invite your friends to join Ralph Smith Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ralphsmithkarate.com/adults.html
    A knowledge of self defense is the most valuable thing you can possess because once it is learned, nobody can take it away from you. In this class you will learn how to use every part of your body as a weapon and get fit in the process. You will learn basic effective movements to control your attacker in just 3 moves. You will feel more secure in knowing that you can protect yourself and your family.
    and they have a web designer with too much time on their hands. Seriously.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 11:25am

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grandmaster Ralph Smith has taken the best of Shotokan and Ju- Jitsu to form "Shoto Jitsu Karate"' Using Shotokan stances, blocks, strikes, kicks and punches mixed with the locks and holds and ground techniques of Ju- Jitsu, making Shoto Jitsu one of the best fighting methods in Karate. The Shoto Jitsu, Shoto Tiger, and Shoto Warrior Katas all demonstrate fighting techniques along with poison hand techniques. The katas were developed by Grandmaster Smith using only techniques that would work in real life situations, no fancy moves and not just a series of basic movements. In the katas there are no blocks alone, they are followed by strikes or kicks, poison hand techniques, take downs, and counters, methods one would use in real life situations. All Grandmaster Smith's self defense consists of "street wise" movements and techniques. Grandmaster Ralph Smith teaches his students always to be able to control their attackers in no more than three (3) moves.

Wow, just 3 moves? What am I doing wrong?

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 11:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw the 3 move hyperbolic claim/training practice. I missed the "poison hand" (read: Dim Mak) and Shotokan + Jujitsu stuff.

McDojo with a healthy splash of Bullshido.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 11:31am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkieusa View Post
    Wow, just 3 moves? What am I doing wrong?
    Obviously, you've been leaving out the "poison hand techniques."

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 11:38am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my - his biography is interesting (emphasis is mine):

GRANDMASTER RALPH SMITH, 10th Dan is a living example of what karate is at it's highest level. He is the President and Founder of RALPH SMITH KARATE SHOTO JITSU. GRANDMASTER SMITH combined the best of Shotokan and JuJitsu techniques to make what he considers the world's best system of self defense and karate, "SHOTO JITSU KARATE". As a young boy, he had read a book called "Poison Hand Techniques" by Count Dounte, and began to teach himself karate. He made his own weapons and mastered them. He then began to call for different instructors but soon found out they were no match for him. He knew early on that he was Karate. He owned and operated Seiyu-Kai Karate School and Thunderbird Karate School in Tobago, and was the founder of the Tobago Martial Arts Federation. He also appeared in the movie "Turn of the Tides". He was a very familiar face at tournaments through out the West Indies and the Caribbean as well as the United States. He is one of the most well known and respected martial artists in the West Indies and Caribbean. GRANDMASTER RALPH SMITH and his school were inducted in the World Martial Arts Federation in March 2008 and he was presented with the Most Outstanding Martial Arts Instructor Of The Year Award.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So he's in this one: http://www.wmaf.bizland.com/

but not in this one: http://www.wmatf.com/index.html

Both of them have what appears to be a who's-who of mcdojo listings.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 2:06pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    So he's in this one: http://www.wmaf.bizland.com/

but not in this one: http://www.wmatf.com/index.html

Both of them have what appears to be a who's-who of mcdojo listings.
    Gee, I wonder how much he paid for the "honor"?

These "Hall of Fame" things are just a tournament that everyone "wins". Just gotta pay the right "fee" for the title. And if the "title" that you want is already taken, the board will just make one up for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 2:41pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Oh my - his biography is interesting (emphasis is mine):

Quote:
    GRANDMASTER RALPH SMITH, 10th Dan is a living example of what karate is at it's highest level. He is the President and Founder of RALPH SMITH KARATE SHOTO JITSU. GRANDMASTER SMITH combined the best of Shotokan and JuJitsu techniques to make what he considers the world's best system of self defense and karate, "SHOTO JITSU KARATE". As a young boy, he had read a book called "Poison Hand Techniques" by Count Dounte, and began to teach himself karate. He made his own weapons and mastered them. He then began to call for different instructors but soon found out they were no match for him. He knew early on that he was Karate. He owned and operated Seiyu-Kai Karate School and Thunderbird Karate School in Tobago, and was the founder of the Tobago Martial Arts Federation. He also appeared in the movie "Turn of the Tides". He was a very familiar face at tournaments through out the West Indies and the Caribbean as well as the United States. He is one of the most well known and respected martial artists in the West Indies and Caribbean. GRANDMASTER RALPH SMITH and his school were inducted in the World Martial Arts Federation in March 2008 and he was presented with the Most Outstanding Martial Arts Instructor Of The Year Award.

Hmmm...so he essentially admits to having learned entirely out of books, throws some lovely unfalsifiable claims regarding his prowess, and admits that he paid to be in one of those "hall of fame" shams.

Yeeaaahhhh........

And, just for laughs, everyone should read the "Tips" section of the WMAF's site. My personal favorite:

Something I tell all my new students " It's better to know how, and not have to; than to have to, and not know how,but the true art lies in not having to use it at all. " Sensei

BUT HOW CAN YOU NEVER USE IT AT ALL WHEN YOU STEP FOOT ON TEH D3@D1Y STR33TZ????!?!?!????!!!!??!?!?!?????!!!!? [/sarcasm]
    Last edited by Lysol; 9/11/2009 2:49pm at . Reason: HOF Quote

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    9/12/2009 12:16am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF, Shoto Jitsu Karate?!!! I sense a McDojo, and I don't like it.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast