Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    Okay, that takes up the first 5-10 seconds for me.
    Originally posted by FingerorMoon?
    Some think faster than others.
    Some say wittier things than others.

Sorry, I felt like playing too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 4:21pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have read a lot of stuff about bruce lee and heres what ive read "at one point brucce lee bulked up to 170 lbs but bruce looked really bulky with this weight when i saw him a few mohnths later it was all off(back to 140 so) he told me it was all in the way" (sayd by a mate of bruce lee)so i dont think ure right about him beeing 170 lbs out the movie set the whole time and on some videos he was doein some great stuff weighting 135 lbs any bruce fan remember bruce hitting a taller and heavier man from one inch he was really skinny then couldnt weigh more then 135 lbs.+There are reports of him weighting 140 lbs doein 80 pound single arm biceps curls well....(i remember sylvester stallone wrote on his site he did 70 lbs bi curls 6 times weigthing 180 lbs or so)

Im not gonna say he was doein it all healthy the only point i wanna say is he was strong for his frame and he is an example for fighters that are in low weight classes.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how about this:

"Second do static strength exercises it gives u a whole lot of power"

Wouldn't static exercises give you static strength?

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 5:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dochter:
    Some say wittier things than others.

Sorry, I felt like playing too.
    ]

Go stand in the corner.

Ok, first, Bruce was heavier when NOT doing movies, up to 170 at one point.
    Lee never got anywhere near 170.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2004 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Static strength in my eyes is the base to build as long as u combine it with speed training ull get some great results.There are a couple of reasons i chose this kind of strengthening to be primair
    1)Ure muscle will be used completely(something u cant say from most static strength exercises)
    2)Its heavy stuff
    3)The strongest pound per pound persons did it:shaolin monks,bruce lee,gymnasts,circus artists
    And shaolin monks are explosive have u ever seen them fight.And static strength is what they mostly do,try one hour handstand without wall then ure doein what theyre doein,Bruce lee did v-stands for long times as well as other exercises.

I find it strange almost no one does it is it just cause matt furry or so dont mention it?What would one handed push ups be the limit uve got to ask.Is it them the commercials that sayd thats the ultimate exercise.....
    U can go a lot deeper a lot faster with static strength combined with dynaic strength i bed u can do stuff they never did cause they simply couldnt do it if u stay dedicated long enough.Ever though about hand stand push ups with claps.Or even more extreme think of one doein a salto between them comming back in good position....Its not them who make the limits.....
    (now that was a personal opinion i find the guys good enough though cause they put a lot of men and women on the exercise)
    I know i am talking controversional again but its what i think what ive seen on television what i think can happen and what i think is good for martial artists especially those who wanna fight in weight classes....

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2004 6:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't know, I can only do a handstand for.....oh.......about 3 seconds.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/13/2004 7:22pm

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it is important that all aspects of weight training - Strength, Power, Hypertrophy etc play part in your training. You need to plan periodisation according to your needs. As an very simplified example, let's say you have an important competition in July and there are 4 month to go. I would suggest to do 4 weeks of hypertrophy (reps of 8-12), 4 weeks of strengh ( 5-7) 4 weeks of power ( 1-3) and 2 weeks of speed ( as many reps as you can in 25 secs, short brek only in between sets). Now that doesn't add to 4 months but you can adjust it to your needs. You won't gain too much muscle mass. You always have to look out for technique first. train with somebody who can lok out for mistakes.
    I am a great believer in the olympic weight lifting moves as power training for MA. - they train your core muscles , your power, your explosivity. They are technically difficult and you do need an experienced coach. But it's worth it.
    great examples are on http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/...ideo_index.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2004 8:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do weights once a week as Ronin has said so many times.
    All weight training routines I've seen refer to a bunch of exercises spread out over 3 days or something. It's worth it to weight train only once a week? In terms of strength training?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2004 9:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    anyone else doein static strength exercises? or only dynamic(lifting weights,callisthenics)?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2004 10:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do stance training from time to time. Not to strengthen, only to practice good form and to stretch.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast