Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/02/2004 6:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I thought you were just mocking us by posting the opposite. :)
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/02/2004 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    0wn3d!!

Oh crap on a crumpet, that's Phrost! Am I in trouble?
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    2/02/2004 6:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naa. I was just testing... yeah, to see if anyone was listening.. yeah.

My REAL response:

5x5's, 85% 1RM, 2 minute break between sets.

Posted On:
    2/02/2004 9:06pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost is TEH FUNNEY!

Originally posted by The Wastrel
    What do you do for 3-4 minutes?!
    First of all, I breathe and catch my breathe for a bit. :)
    Then I simulate the motion in the air I just did to stimulate more blood flow into the area. Then some isometric tensing of the muscles and massaging, both while tensed and not.

For squats I do Hindu squats in between sets.
    Air pushups for bench press, leaning backwards and forwards for deadlifts.

And also check out the pretty young things in the gym....
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    2/02/2004 9:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But then again it all depends on how much time you have to train. If you are doing martial arts 3 times a week then you should really be going to the gym to do weights once a week as Ronin has said so many times. Each workout takes something out of you and you have to give your body time to recover. Personally I prefer exercises that use your own bodyweight like chin ups,pushups,crunches etc. Also gaining muscle mass and size will have an impact on your cardiovascular fitness.

Some of the strongest people I've seen are martial artists who son't even do weights. One time at one martial arts class I saw,one guy got down on the groung and did 100 one armed pushups first on his left then on his right hand.Now I've yet to see any muscle bound meat heads at the gym do anything like that. Sure these guys maybe able to benchpress 120 kilograms. Yet they can barely to 40 pushups on both hands...I know which one I'd prefer.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    2/04/2004 9:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Hannibal

Some of the strongest people I've seen are martial artists who son't even do weights. One time at one martial arts class I saw,one guy got down on the groung and did 100 one armed pushups first on his left then on his right hand.Now I've yet to see any muscle bound meat heads at the gym do anything like that. Sure these guys maybe able to benchpress 120 kilograms. Yet they can barely to 40 pushups on both hands...I know which one I'd prefer.
    You are comparing two very different types of displays.
    Doing 40-60-100 push ups has to do with muscular endurance NOT strength or power.
    Benching 150 kilos or 330 lbs, has to do with muscular strength, of course if you bench 300lbs for 30 reps, that is endurance.
    You are making an incorrect comparison.
    As for preference, well...that is up to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 2:51pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think its possible,look at bruce lee he was 5'7" 130-140 lbs but strong as a bear.I am tying the same thing but it has a lot of cons and also some pros first of all you have to watch youre callory count ure boddy wxill gain weight if ure a few calorys over ure limit.Second gaining strength goes slow and u have to do many kind of movements to have effective strength something what is less importand when gaining some mass.Some basic mass is needed anyway.I gained 20 lbs and am now at 132 lbs i wanna stay still a whole while at this but become stronger still.
    Here are a few more suggestions i learned cause it aint easy to do this regime almost everyone is against it

*calculate ure metabolism and calrory needs keep to it also do cardio what alwos u to eat more
    what u eat is really important unless u wanna be tired and quit after a while.Eat like u lived in the nature verry low carbs a lot of fruit some meat and drink milk id say eat carbs1-2 times a day maximum further the 6 meals a day is good for me.

Second do static strength exercises it gives u a whole lot of power think of exercises from gymnastics or v-stands like bruce lee did this kind of strengthening is also done by monks as far as i cvan recall they seem to be strong strength per pound persons to me.So start doein handstand for 10 minutes and vstand for a time and tuck planche etc... if u can do that stuff ull get some great strnegth i cant do them yet but im sure from the moment i can do them im stronger then a whole lot of athletes my weight even if smaller

second basic in the strength triangle are some callisthenics:sit ups push ups squats press ups try to aim for a 100 3-5 times a week dont do 500 of them it will kill ure joints id say 2 days do 100 others 20-40 of all of them also try 2 days to do clap push ups with legs and arms from the ground and with extra weight and jump when doein squats those 100's are only for muscle endurance but fighters need it so id say do them but dont overdo them.

third is weights:
    try to do some of the movement s ud do with ure arms in fighting with some weights(light weights) and do some basic stuff bench press is good,biceps curls if ure a light weighted person are also important(those i do always with heavy weight),further i do machines once a month are so id try to aim for a maximum on al machines.My arms are 11 inches but my triceps push down is 230lbs@30 reps so my body is gettting stronger id do them just for a test.Also in the summer climb trees it helps really i do it its good for coordination and everything.

Further do some cardio and sprints fast exercises:i go to kickboks lessons 2 a week,do running once a week try to swim 2000 yards once a week and do some small sprints +bag work and my strengthening exercises.Further i have to cycle 40 miles aw eek to go to school the station and i have to walk a lot to ive calculated my toal callory usage of a week at nearly 5000 personally i think its to much not that i feel it yet but i hope driving a car soon so i can focus more on running bag work and keep callories around 4000 what i find a perfect deal in he week.The main thing here is do a lot of kinds of cardio its really better to run 3 times a week and swim 2 times a week and do martial arts then just running 5 times a week and do martial arts.

the biggest bad thing still is mass keps playing a role in strength what i mean with it is if a 190 lbs guy punches me i go backwards easy and if i kick him i might be able to move him a bit but he doenst need to train like me to generate the strength.One key is to hit fast but powerfull heres a formula to keep looking at strength=1/2 mass*speed*speed

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 2:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am speachless.
    I don't even know where to begin.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how about here.

"i think its possible,look at bruce lee he was 5'7" 130-140 lbs but strong as a bear"

Posted On:
    2/12/2004 3:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by virtual_mantis
    how about here.

"i think its possible,look at bruce lee he was 5'7" 130-140 lbs but strong as a bear"
    Ok, first, Bruce was heavier when NOT doing movies, up to 170 at one point.
    Second, strong compared to what?
    Remember, there is functional strength, absolute strength and then the famous " pound per pound" strength.
    Most of Bruce's feats of strength were NOT done at his lightest weight.
    SIze and strength may NOT be porportional, but NO ONE doubts that the strongest are usually pretty bulky.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast