Page 3 of 11 First 1234567 ... Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ray Mercer: 36 wins, 26 by KO. MMA and kickboxing: not so much.

Depends on how well he would have developed his clinch game. In boxing, he or his opponent could clinch and buy a few seconds rest or reprieve. There would be some dirty boxing and holding an hitting, but he didn't have to worry about as much clinch striking or take-downs like he would in an MMA fight.

His G&P would probably be first-rate, though.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More importantly, he should be worried about leg kicks and outside shoots by the more experienced wrestlers (wasn't there already a thread like this?). Boxers are notorious for not defending their legs.

Also, Ray scored a sweet KO of Tim Sylvia in an MMA match recently, no clinch, TD defense, or kick defense necessary.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a vid somewhere on YouTube of an interview with Tyson after he retired. He explains & " demos" that his combination of choice was to get his oppo on the ropes, and then open them up with a hook to the ribs. That should open guard for an upper cut, followed by a hook to the head. You can see it in Gif2 on page1 I think.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember seeing an interview where he was asked about his favorite combo. He said "right hook to the body, left hook to the head." Then he took a half step backward, put up his peekaboo guard, kind of snaked in behind it and demonstrated the combo, to the interviewer's consternation.

Thing of beauty.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember and interview where he said he tried to punch the "nosebone into the brain"

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember an interview of him saying (to a female interviewer) "I generally don't talk to women unless I fornicate with them, so if you wanna, you know..."

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember him shouting "I'm-a **** you 'til you love me, ******" at someone in the crowd of a press conference.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember him being an incredible fighter but never getting the credit he deserved because he was a social cripple, and because people like Conde Koma think that being a strong and aggressive infighter disqualifies him from being a skilled boxer.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember him being a quiet kid and incredible fighter until Cus D'amato died. Then he became a social disaster/incredible fighter, then just a social disaster. Fucking Don King.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hang on, I never said that being a good in-fighter made him unskilled. Manny Pacquiao and Marvin Hagler are two excellent examples of people who can in-fight skillfully. I just don't think of Tyson's wins being because he was more technically skilled than his opponents.

Possible parallel: Fedor (while being very skilled in judo and sambo) is not a very skilled striker, yet knocks people out because of his aggression and pressure. I know it's not a perfect example, but I think it fits, more or less.

Also, agreed, he was fine socially up until Don King got his claws into him.

Page 3 of 11 First 1234567 ... Last