"Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 10:09pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe tyson has one ko by right cross, as he stepped in he brought his shoulder right back before he threw it.. otherwise you end up with a **** cross like ricky hatton
    Considering Tyson was orthodox it is strange he didnt utilise his right cross effectively as his knockout tool he more developed a sort of unconventinonal overhand right...However in saying that he would shuffle forward when he would load up his left cross...One of his natural gifts I believe that he could hurtle a knockout blow from some unnatural angles....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 11:30pm

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Emevas, I love that Dempsey vid! Dempsey looked really good in that fight (although part of it is that Willard, although much larger, looked terrible). Dempsey really works the crouch and loves that lunging drop-step. He is sort of reminiscent of Tyson (or rather, Tyson is reminiscent of him). He charges in their with those flurry combinations. He also kind of looks like Tyson I suppose because he is fighting a much taller opponent, and so he shoves up with his legs when striking at that close range. Beautiful.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 5:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    Considering Tyson was orthodox it is strange he didnt utilise his right cross effectively as his knockout tool he more developed a sort of unconventinonal overhand right...However in saying that he would shuffle forward when he would load up his left cross...One of his natural gifts I believe that he could hurtle a knockout blow from some unnatural angles....
    although they look unnatural, he must have been on balance or you simply couldn't throw a hard shot.. i put this more down to cus D'amato than Tyson

Posted On:
    10/03/2009 7:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish
    Considering Tyson was orthodox it is strange he didnt utilise his right cross effectively as his knockout tool he more developed a sort of unconventinonal overhand righ
    That is probably due to him usually fighting taller opponentes. In that scenario the overhand is sometimes a better option. He also was able to put more power in "bent" (hooks, uppers, etc.) punches than in "straight" ones.

Quote Originally Posted by johnevans View Post
    Emevas, I love that Dempsey vid! Dempsey looked really good in that fight (although part of it is that Willard, although much larger, looked terrible). Dempsey really works the crouch and loves that lunging drop-step. He is sort of reminiscent of Tyson (or rather, Tyson is reminiscent of him). He charges in their with those flurry combinations. He also kind of looks like Tyson I suppose because he is fighting a much taller opponent, and so he shoves up with his legs when striking at that close range. Beautiful.
    Ah, the famous Dempsey/Willard fight. To his credit, Willard didn't fall again in the next rounds (he quitted in the fourth, or better said, didn't answer to the bell ring in the fourth). For a while, Willard was regarded as a "quitter" and booed. People failed to understand that, when he quit, he had a shatterd jaw, was missing a few theeth and two of his ribs were fractured. Not to mention that he couldn't keep his eyes open due to swelling, and was cut badly.

Before the fight odds were that Willard would destroy Dempsey, after all, Willard had previously won the Heavyweight title KO'ing the great Jack Johnson... but that's another story (dive or not?).

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 3:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    If we're still posting one sided fights
    In fact, I was thinking about starting a thread titled "Top ten boxing heavyweight maulings of all time according to me" or something like that.

While I think about opening or not, here's another one:

Primo Carnera vs. Max Baer.

Note for our resident jewish bullies: Baer is considereded one of the biggest punchers of all time. He was descendat from an irish-german-jewish family, and usually fought with the star of David sewn in his shorts. It is clearly visible in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5-zl-wkoqE

Rumour has it that carnera was injuried in his right foot. Baer, eternal jokester, played with Carnera for ten rounds, until he managed to get his right cross in. The rest, see for yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 5:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Extract from "Learning from Mike Tyson' -

"In this instance however Tyson was simply stating a technique central to especially powerful hitting: Don’t just hit where the opponent is, but try to drive your fist at least 3-6 inches beyond the point of contact. What Mike has clearly never understood is how to turn off such primal ideas and impulses when they’re not desired."
    "Another central tenant of the early Tyson style: Don’t punch with just the arm, but with the entire body. The key to real punching power is incorporating the entire body into a single striking movement. The blow should always be both fast and fluid. The central player in a power punch is not actually the arm, but the trunk of the puncher’s body. The legs should spring the body mass, and the punch, forward--but not so far that it forces the fighter to lose his balance, something we often see in the degenerated technique of the later Tyson. "

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 5:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "He had an awesome physique, including a phenomenal neck of 19 inches, as thick and strong as some men's thighs. He entered the ring robeless, wearing simple black shorts and black boxing boots, and with an executioner's air of purposeful intent that carried an eerie menace, fueled in part by the myth of his early invincibility. "

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011