Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 4:02pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK - What he did was legitimately done within the rules. He's a hero and a great fighter for that performance. I changed my mind. Thank god he didn't spit on the guy afterwards, because THAT would have been illegal.

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 4:36pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    The problem with this is that it isn't legal.

Also, for ****'s sake everybody, he did touch the other guys glove. Punched him afterwards, but still touched his glove first.
    He launched the punch while gloves where still touched.

It's been the done thing to touch gloves if you're sparring or fighting for decades. If that guy wanted to be the hardcase and fight dirty he should not have touched.

It's like shaking someones hand and head-butting them. It has a time and a place but in a combat sport, that is also a spectator sport, it cheapens the game and makes the puncher look like a fucking newb. I'm not surprised he got booed, the chump deserved it.

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 6:18pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I'm in a judo tourney, and I'm bowing after the match has started, I'll get a stalling penalty at best, uchi mata'd into another dimension at the worst. And I'd deserve the latter.
    Yeah, but how often do you see that done in judo tournaments compared to how often people touch gloves after the round starts?

Also, ditto to the guy who said that he just torpedoed his career. That was my first thought after watching it. But it's okay to alienate everyone who has a direct impact on your career as long as you got the win, right...?

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 6:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, can anyone on this site differentiate between supporting actions/ideas and rejecting the reflex hate of said actions/ideas?

For Kano's sake, I don't give a sixth of a **** how common it is to open yourself up for immediate loss in a sporting event, anyone who loses that way deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKovacs View Post
    It's like shaking someones hand and head-butting them during a head-butting contest
    FTFY.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 7:22pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cant believe anybody would defend his actions. He clearly went for the "touching of gloves" and punched him instead.

To me he cheated. He may have found a new "legal" douchebag way..but he cheated nontheless

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 7:35pm

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy who got nailed could have been more careful for sure, no doubt he will be in future, but the guy throwing the sucker punch is still being a dick. It doesn't matter whether it's legal or not, he's defying a social convention which holds in the ring, whatever the rhetoric about it being a fight and "defending yourself at all times".

In everyday life you get a ton of legal opportunuites to **** people over for personal gain. If exploit them you're being a dick. Simple.

I wonder if those that condone the guy's actions whould do or have done the same thing, and if not, why not?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 7:37pm

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    For Kano's sake, I don't give a sixth of a **** how common it is to open yourself up for immediate loss in a sporting event, anyone who loses that way deserves it.
    This in particular looks like it generalises into a neat excuse for being a colossal prick in almost any circumstance.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 9:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** social conventions when we've agreed to punch/kick/throw/choke/lock each other for those fifteen minutes. I'm not giving you an inch in between those bells, and would be insulted if I didn't receive the same in return.

Competitive events aren't, and have never been, about playing nice.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could indeed extrapolate that philosophy into the rest of society. Isn't the corporate world one big competitive event? What about countries and nations? They're all playing the game, whether they like it or not, and they're being stupid for not going all out, right?

The two may have agreed to "punch/kick/throw/choke/lock" each other for fifteen minutes, but they've also agreed to other social conventions, some explicit, some implicit.

Explicit: no biting, gouging, groin shots, finger breaking, etc.
    Implicit: go no further than the KO/TKO/Submission, respect each other, don't take things personal, etc.

The reason for sportsmanship is to separate us from the other animals, to remind us that, while winning is great, things like class, honor, and empathy are still worth more.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 4:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    You could indeed extrapolate that philosophy into the rest of society.
    But I don't.

Isn't the corporate world one big competitive event?
    Yes. And I'm pretty sure nobody plays nice.

What about countries and nations?
    Unfortunately, many people enjoy treating it this way.

They're all playing the game, whether they like it or not, and they're being stupid for not going all out, right?
    You've strawmanned so big I'm-a call you Nicolas Cage.

no biting, gouging, groin shots, finger breaking, etc.
    Hey, look, the rules of a competitive sporting event.

go no further than the KO/TKO/Submission
    Hey, another rule.

The reason for sportsmanship is to separate us from the other animals
    I could've sworn it was language and tool use and ****. Aren't we the only animals that go to war other than chimps and ants?

winning is great, things like class, honor, and empathy are still worth more.
    If you expect this to be true of anyone with money at stake, you must be living in Candyland.

People are assholes, this isn't news, so get in the fight when the bell rings or don't at all.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast