Sponsored Links Spacer Image

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 12:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then why are people bitching about my use of the word fight, eh?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 1:19am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    English, the great language that it is, has multiple meanings for single words, depending on context. You, of course, already know this. Still, you seem to really want me to spell it out for you.

Even if it's a "fight," it's not a real "fight," which would imply a life-or-death, win-by-any-means-necessary conflict. It is an athletic contest emulating a fight without the consequences of one. One of those consequences is "sucker punching," where one combatant will win the "fight" without use of much skill or energy. While this is appropriate for a real "fight" (a life-or-death, win-by-any-means-necessary conflict), it has no place in a sporting event, where athletes are expected to win using superior skill and ability, not taking advantage of social graces.

Did I miss anything?

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 1:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was using the definition the weepy vaginas are whiny about me pointing at. Can somebody point out what made everyone think I meant any different?

If you grant someone an opportunity as a social grace in a sporting event with money on the line, you get what comes to you in my book. Period.

People don't do it in sports with the consequence of immediate and total loss, so as much of a part of striking combat sport culture the fist bump, it's still idiotic to an incomparable degree.

Seriously, incomparable. All the similes people have been throwing out in this thread are flawed to the level of happening before the event started. My football analogy was not a strawman in the slightest. We all realize how fucking stupid it is to confer an advantage in a sport in the name of politeness, you're all just making a special exception for this.

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 4:57am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    I was using the definition the weepy vaginas are whiny about me pointing at. Can somebody point out what made everyone think I meant any different?

If you grant someone an opportunity as a social grace in a sporting event with money on the line, you get what comes to you in my book. Period.

People don't do it in sports with the consequence of immediate and total loss, so as much of a part of striking combat sport culture the fist bump, it's still idiotic to an incomparable degree.

Seriously, incomparable. All the similes people have been throwing out in this thread are flawed to the level of happening before the event started. My football analogy was not a strawman in the slightest. We all realize how fucking stupid it is to confer an advantage in a sport in the name of politeness, you're all just making a special exception for this.
    It was absolutely a straw man. You just don't want to admit it. In all the MMA fights I have watched, I have never seen something to pussifyingly pussyish, and to hear someone stand up for it and think it's appropriate in any way, shape, or manner is simply fucking stupid.:bsflag:
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 5:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two words: Kalib Starnes.

And I've never seen anything as stupifyingly stupid as a fighter who, seconds after the fight starts, forgets what he's doing.

Oh, wait, it happens all the fucking time, and that still doesn't make it any smarter.

And if I'm so stupid and it's so obvious, fucking explain how that's a strawman. It's a participant in another sporting event giving leeway for "social graces" and getting smashed as a result of it. You would laugh until you shat if that happened, and you know it. I don't care how many kicking teams stand in a line and yell compliments back, it's still fucking retarded, and that returner deserves to be smeared across the astroturf like so much meaty jello.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 6:44am

Style: diet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can someone show a different link to this video all i get is some site that wants me to download some software

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 1:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you go into any kind of full contact martial arts contest without fighting intent, then you're gonna have problems, and that the majority of people here cant seem to see that or can and still cant grasp what happened have a problem.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We all (more or less) have seen and understand exactly what happened.

As has been stated before, yes, the loser should have protected himself better, but that does not make him at fault in this scenario. Like I said, he had the intent on competing, whereas his opponent was focused on winning by any means that occurred to him. Did the puncher have intent to fight? Maybe. Did the punchee? Maybe. At this point, the intent that matters is that the puncher's intent is socially. This is the point that we have been arguing, what is yours?

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 4:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    As has been stated before, yes, the loser should have protected himself better, but that does not make him at fault in this scenario.
    False. If you get punched in the face in a fight, it's your fault.

For the illiterate fuckbots: No, I don't mean real fight fight, I mean sporting event fight. You fucking idiots.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2009 5:54pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How the hell did this make it to 4 pages? I didn't get to see the video but I can gather what went down and frankly I don't get what people are arguing about? Nobody seems to be advocating what the "winner" did. Everyone seems to be of the opinion that what he did was a chickenshit move. Everyone agrees that the fighter did himself no favors by winning this way. So what are people going on about? If you enter into something called a combat sport you should at all times be prepared for combat once the match begins. If you enter into something called a combat sport you should be respectful of the sportsmanship related rituals or customs of the sport.