Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 3:09am

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to get back into shape in order to return to martial arts?

Any ideas on the best approach to getting back into the MA's after having multiple injuries and being more sedentary for years now? I've been bicycling (stationary) one hour each day and doing basic exercises ie: crunches, leg lifts, etc for awhile and wonder should I start doing kicks and forms yet? Or should I concentrate first on losing more weight and getting my knees back into working order before starting MA practice?

Also working on diet of course. Not sure if its much of an accomplishment but I've lost 9 lbs in the last month.

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 3:55am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9lbs in a month is a good start, think keep on your fitness for now but I am sure someone else will be along with more input soon.

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 4:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen many large men and women do forms and kicks, etc with no problems but what kind of issues/ injuries are you talking about? Most would say ask your doctor but that can be a dead end unless he/she trains in the MA. If you can do crunches, led lifts and stationary bike sessions there is no reason you can not do forms, kicking/ punching techniques slowly at first. Listen to your body. Remember, Bruce Lee had his back broken and still went on to train and refine JKD. I am not a doctor but have a medical background if that helps. Make sure you warm up, not static stretching but slow body type rotations and movements and gradually faster in motion. The idea is to bring your muscles up to a working temperature so to speak so that you do no harm to your body in your MA session. It seems that the recovery from most injuries and regaining the usefulness of that affected area is building up the muscle around that area and keeping it limber in the process. Broken bones for MA need low impact/vibration resistance to rebuild strength and density over time depending on the injury. I hope that helps and points you in the right direction.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 4:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kyokushin & teh judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should first lose the weight by going on a diet,or at least not eating sweet stuff,fried stuff etc. ,and doing a good amount of cardio (joging,bicycling,swimming), and THEN you should start building muscle, because otherwise you might lose some of the muscle you build during cardio,

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 5:23am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by takedowned View Post
    You should first lose the weight by going on a diet,or at least not eating sweet stuff,fried stuff etc. ,and doing a good amount of cardio (joging,bicycling,swimming), and THEN you should start building muscle, because otherwise you might lose some of the muscle you build during cardio,
    errr..... no.

Getting in shape consists of 3 basic tenants. Get your exercise right, get your rest right, and get your diet right. Doing one without the other 2 is pretty much pointless.

Your already looking at diet, which is good. make sure you get enough sleep. Its one area that really gets overlooked. Otherwise look at a good exercise routine. Set a goal for what your exercise is for. This is really important. Make sure that is the real goal you're doing exercise for as well. I'm bad at this, my goal is to get my stamina up so I don't gas in our class 4 minute sambo sparring sessions. Sounds good? Evaluating my goal means I have come to the conclusion that this is a secondary goal, my goal is actually to not look like a fat bastard. If your goal is to get fit for martial arts doing those martial arts will be very good for this, otherwise look at something like Crossfit, or circuit training.
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 5:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kyokushin & teh judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, i forgot to mention rest. Anyway you should get some professional to make you a training program, instead of asking on the interweb ;]

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 5:41am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always say the best way to get fit for martial arts is to train in martial arts.

Just take it easy at the beginning.

Let the instructor know about your injuries and dont overdo it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 6:08am

Style: TKD Hapkido Judo Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well my goal is to lose enough weight to be in the size uniform I should be in based on height since I am a short woman. If I do MA right now I want to do it at home because I feel to embarrassed to walk into a dojang this out of shape especially if they should ask have I studied before and what was my belt rank.

As for injury I've had multiple injuries to knee including torn meniscus & tendon rupture, plus I have weak other leg and ankle from broken bones and I have a head injury which has caused balance issues. I'm doing a lot better now with the balance. Honestly if I told an instructor I had the head injury I'm not so sure they would allow me back in TKD or HKD. I want to do it anyway because I miss TKD; it was my life before and my life has been empty without it.

As for a trainer I was put into a rehab clinic and all those guys did was hurt my knee more and irritate an old back injury till I hurt more after I started going there than I did before I went! I've learned what I can and can't do and I have been just doing exercising at home instead of going to rehab and being reinjured because they always put you with student physical therapists that honestly don't know what the hell they are doing.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you had a pretty bad physical therapist experience! That's too bad, if you find a good one who is intuitive and knowledgeable it can be a life saver. Considering the amount of previous injuries and the nature of TKD there is a good chance you can re-injure yourself, so I would consider seeing a doctor or looking for a highly recommended physical therapist. Losing weight and getting in better shape will help, but your really going to need to strengthen your weak links.

One piece of advice I offer anyone who is coming back from an injury: Listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard too soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 10:38am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get back into martial arts shape by doing martial arts.

Work with in your limits and you'll be good to go
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast