Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 8:05pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Broktak, Norwegian Glima

http://www.broktak.com/broktak.html

The page is in Norwegian but it details the revival of the old Norwegian wrestling style of Broktak, "pantsgrip" literally, which is the cousin of its Icelandic version Glima and probably stemming from a common Norse ancestral sport.

The sport itself seems to have died out in the first part of the 20th century in Norway but now martial art and history enthusiasts who were inspired by Glima's survival has resurrected it.

Damn cool if you ask me. :)

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 9:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 265lbsfist View Post

The page is in Norwegian but it details the revival of the old Norwegian wrestling style of Broktak, "pantsgrip" literally, which is the cousin of its Icelandic version Glima and probably stemming from a common Norse ancestral sport.

The sport itself seems to have died out in the first part of the 20th century in Norway but now martial art and history enthusiasts who were inspired by Glima's survival has resurrected it.

Gawd what a post! Strutting jingoistic cockwaving baloney followed by a Tae Kwon Do type "revival" history.

Nominate this for something, for gawd's sake.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 9:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn! "Damn cool if you ask me. :)" ****, I think I've been trolled slam dunk wind knocked out purple little lights sensei's face hearing through the buzzing, "breathe, breathe..."
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 9:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean, it's just too perfect a parody, right? This has to be a joke, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 11:02pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh?

The head instructor has trained Glima for something like 20 years or something and since the two are so closely inter-related he had a good inkling of what the old sport was. They train Glima more or less under a different name.

I've seen the poster for one of their seminars and it looked a little bit LARPy but as the sport bit is exercised in the same manner as Glima itself with live sparring and competition it must have some actual legit merit, don't you think?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 11:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial arts were spread to Asia by Alexander the Great? Any evidence or is this intuitive?

"..only idiots would ignore the massive contribution the west has..." - straw tiger; no one has ignored the west's contributions.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 2:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: swordfighting (european)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 265lbsfist View Post

Actually, Glima, has three types of grip:
    -belt grip
    -back grip
    -loose/free grip

The one demonstrated in this filmclip is the beltgrip. The guy demonstrating is Lars Enoksen if I am correct.
    I understand people have difficulty not to laugh if they see the belt grip-Glima, but I have seen a demo in the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds, England, a few years ago, and I must say that their footsweeps and throwing techniques are actually very good. No doubt about that.

They, of course, could consider to use the loose/free grip as demonstration, for this belt grip looks quite odd.

BertB

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 6:46am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    Martial arts were spread to Asia by Alexander the Great? Any evidence or is this intuitive?

"..only idiots would ignore the massive contribution the west has..." - straw tiger; no one has ignored the west's contributions.
    That sub-heading for the WMA forum is one of Phrost's little jokes ...

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 8:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pankration was first recoded in the Greek Olympics in648 B.C. though they think the greeks had used it since around 2000 B.C.

This is kinda pointless as kung fu has been recorded since 3000, 4000 BC, but maybe the Chinese are a bunch of liars hey last time I was their all I saw were some 400 year old palaces and a whole lotta poverty...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 10:34pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard the theory seriously floated before.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast