Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 3:47pm

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pro Boxing Champ to fight in MMA?

Ricardo Mayorga is apparently beginning an MMA career because he can't get a boxing match.

Personally, I am pretty stoked to see a high caliber boxer try to break into the MMA world, but it's hard to gauge how well Mayorga will perform.

One issue is, is Mayorga past his prime, and if so, is he too far past his prime?

A more interesting issue is what kind of cross training is he going to get into, and will it be enough to round out his game for an MMA fight.

What is Mayorga's best move here, training-wise? I assume he'll try to sprawl and brawl.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ray Mercer was way past his prime and still KO'd Tim Sylvia real quick. If this guy can learn to defend kick (leg kicks especially) and takedowns, sure, why not?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 4:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: praying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say, he already has great hands, compared to the rest of MMA - so that alone will make people think twice before trying to enter clinching and grappling range

if he can learn to defend the shoot, use footwork to get out of range of kicks, he is fine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 7:25pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh...Mayorga. I would sincerely doubt that he would take to MMA training seriously considering that he barely took boxing seriously. Yeah, yeah, he beat an (injured) Vernon Forrest twice in 2003. Since then he's 3/6 in boxing, he got broken down like an amateur at the hands of Oscar De La Hoya, he's 36 years old and he smokes. No way he makes any kind of impact other then embarrassing himself. Oh yeah, plus, while he did hold a version of the welter weight belt I don't think anyone ever used the word 'world class' to define El Matador.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 5:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma...boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ricardo is 1 mean dude ...im sure he will kick ass

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 4:47am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword View Post
    Ugh...Mayorga. I would sincerely doubt that he would take to MMA training seriously considering that he barely took boxing seriously. Yeah, yeah, he beat an (injured) Vernon Forrest twice in 2003. Since then he's 3/6 in boxing, he got broken down like an amateur at the hands of Oscar De La Hoya, he's 36 years old and he smokes. No way he makes any kind of impact other then embarrassing himself. Oh yeah, plus, while he did hold a version of the welter weight belt I don't think anyone ever used the word 'world class' to define El Matador.
    When I read the OP, I had an image of Ricardo strolling into the Octagon whilst chomping on a large, smorking cigar - so I'm glad you mentioned the smokin' bit.

Mind you, he'd certainly have a certain Attitude. The staredown would be interesting. :laughing6

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 10:20am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'll definitely be interesting to watch. Marcus did really well, but then again he has a serious work ethic and really went for 'mma' not just boxing in a different ring. Should be cool to see what happens.

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 6:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Past his prime, but he can still punch and is a brilliant trash talker (though he doesn't speak English). Whether he wins or loses, it'll most likely be entertaining.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 12:22pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CharlieZ?