United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 11:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

squib rounds

My dad was at the range, shooting his 1911. There was some douche rapid firing, so he didn't hear whatever it is you normally here when that happens.

Now, it got lodged in the barrel, close enough so another round couldn't chamber and fire. What would have happened if he'd touched off another round? Is this a common occurrence? Is there anything you can do to prevent it?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 12:10pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    My dad was at the range, shooting his 1911. There was some douche rapid firing, so he didn't hear whatever it is you normally here when that happens.

Now, it got lodged in the barrel, close enough so another round couldn't chamber and fire. What would have happened if he'd touched off another round? Is this a common occurrence? Is there anything you can do to prevent it?
    Squibs are usually caused by mis-loads -- not enough powder when loading/reloading the cartridge. Can also be from bad/wet powder, or a deformed slug. Usually happens with reloads, but has been known to happen with factory loads.

Usually the action on an automatic will not cycle, letting you know something is wrong. People have been known to manually recycle the action and fire another round into the stuck slug.

If your dad is reloading his own cartridges, quality control will help eliminate the problem. If it is a factory load, not much you can do. When in the course of firing, NEVER HAND CYCLE AN AUTOMATIC FIREARM UNLESS YOU KNOW THE BARREL IS CLEAR, and you can avoid the danger from a squib. When firing a wheelgun it is easy to fire a round into the squib because there is nothing to stop the gun from rotating the next round to the firing position.

Mythbusters did a show on the danger of a blocked barrel, IIRC, they could not get a shotgun barrel to explode no matter how they blocked it, but squibs have been known to cause catastrophic failure in handguns.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 1:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad tried his hardest to get the damned thing to fire. Eventually just stripped it and thanked God he was that lucky.

He was shooting Michigan Reloads, apparently this is the first one he's gotten in the 20 yrs he's been shooting them. Is this at all bad for gun, for this to happen?

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad tried his hardest to get the damned thing to fire. Eventually just stripped it and thanked God he was that lucky.

He was shooting Michigan Reloads, apparently this is the first one he's gotten in the 20 yrs he's been shooting them. Is this at all bad for gun, for this to happen?
    As long as you clear the stuck slug without damaging the barrel, it won't hurt the gun. If he'd managed to fire another round without the gun destroying itself, I'd personally never fire that weapon again, because you'd never know where or how its structure might have been weakened.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 1:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? He said that is was at the very end of the barrel, just barely in. Should I suggest he have it looked at by a gunsmith?

He probably wouldn't take that advice, though

I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 1:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? He said that is was at the very end of the barrel, just barely in. Should I suggest he have it looked at by a gunsmith?

He probably wouldn't take that advice, though
    If it's just barely in, he can probably clear it with a cleaning rod. If it won't move easily with that, pounding on something to get it out (I've seen idiots use everything from screwdrivers to cleaning rods and hammers) could damage the barrel and cause problems. A gunsmith can mount the weapon safely and extract the slug without damaging anything.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/06/2009 2:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, no, got the round out. He went to go pound it out, but realized he didn't have a hammer, so he took it up to the range desk (he's very good friends with the owners) and they did it for him.

I agree with moosey

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I was recently chatting with someone at a gun store about reloading and squib rounds. He basically explained to me that squibs caused by under-loading can be very dangerous in certain types of action because it can damage the action, besides for the risk of getting a round lodged into the barrel and then discharging another round into the stuck round.

Potentially very dangerous...always listen closely to your firearm and also pay attention to the feel to feel if it recoiled normally or not.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 1:56am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the range, you can take the pistol to a gunsmith.

In a gunfight, (assuming you only have the one weapon,) you manually SLAM the slide into battery then squeeze the trigger.

If you're not a 'tard, you draw your backup pistol.

At my department, we're required to fire through the squibs, even in training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 3:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't that dangerous though?

I agree with moosey
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast