Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2009 4:01am

Style: Yiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yiquan

Old topic, but I'm just providing a bit additional information.

From "Yiquan - kung fu revolution" (e-book can be downloaded from here: http://www.yiquan-academy.eu/downloads.php?cat_id=1 )

Ichiro Hatta was a well known judo master. In 1929 he was member of the team which promoted judo in US. There he met wrestlers and started propagating western wrestling in Japan. In 1932 he represented Japan in wrestling at Olympic Games in Los Angeles. In 1935 he was coach of Japanese wrestling team for Olympic Games in Berlin. Later for long time he made important contribution to training exchange between Japan and US. He achieved high grades in Japanese arts: 8 dan in judo, 8 dan in aikido and 7 dan in kendo. Hatta heard a lot about Wang Xiangzhai, but didn't believe the relations. When he learned that in "Shibao" newspaper there was published a text in which Wang said that although western boxing and Japanese judo all had their good points, but lacked the unified force, Hatta decided to meet Wang and prove the value of judo. He wrote a letter to Wang in which he invited Wang to one of restaurants in western style. Wang accepted invitation, realizing that it was a challenge. When Wang came into the restaurant, he was met by a big man looking like a warrior. Wang has no doubt that it was Ichiro Hatta. Hatta, seeing small, slim Wang, thought that Wang's fame was not justified. He coldly greeted Wang, and they went into a small room reserved by Hatta. When horse-d'oeuvre was brought, Hatta said that he was very glad to meet Wang, and would like to have a drink with him and make friends, and also learn a lesson. Wang said that he was not used to alcohol, and if there is a talk about a lesson, they both can learn something from each other. And then Hatta just plainly asked when and where they could have a fight. Wang said that it can be done immediately, just where they were. Hatta tried to grip Wang in order to make a throw. But before he was able to do this, Wang was already behind him, pushing him from behind and making him fall over. Hatta got up and attacked once again. Wang dodged swiftly and attacked Hatta’s ribs. Hatta tried to block, but when his arm came in contact with Wang's hand, he was thrown away, as if by a spring, flying backward and upward. He landed on a small table, which felt to pieces. But he immediately jumped up and tried to catch Wang's leg. Wang not only didn't dodge, but as if purposely raised his leg, to make catching it easier for Hatta. But when Hatta tried to pull Wang's leg and throw him down, Wang's feet was already at Hatta’s belly, and Hatta was pushed away and thrown down. Then Hatta asked how Wang would do if he gripped Wang's both wrists. Wang let Hatta grip his both wrists, and then suddenly issued force of whole body, throwing Hatta away, so he hit wall, making it shake.
    Last edited by dacheng; 8/23/2009 4:08am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2009 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Chen style taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know whether yiquan is a good "fighting art" or not, but I can tell you this from having done a little bit of it. You will hold a standing meditation posture until you see Christ walking across the water toward you. The first time I tried it I thought I was going to die and my legs felt like lead for about a week.

And, having seen photos of Wang Xianzhai, at least he looks lean and mean. Yang Chengfu was a big fat ugly bastard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 4:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The so called "whole body power" is what I practice in Tai Chi and someone good at it gotta have some really hard and fast punches/palm strikes. Too bad I'm the only one I know trying to apply it and I'm only one and a half years at it. Maybe there will be someone in MMA someday, maybe...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 6:03pm

Style: Legalese

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotajudo View Post
    Judo wasn't contested in the 1936 Olympics. So how much of the story you gonna believe?
    Ichiro Hatta was Jigoro Kano's secretary, and he represented Japan in the 1936 Olympic Games in wrestling. He was rokudan at the time. However, I can't find any references to him being defeated by Wang, outside of Xingyi Quan sources.

As for Kenichi Sawai, it's pretty well known that he was taught Xingyi Quan by Wang, eventually forming Taikiken.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 6:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are some Yiquan bag work videos all of Yiquan masters Yao Chengguang and Cui Ruibin and the punches really look weak. Maybe it's some meditative form of practice but where are the powerful punches one would expect from "whole body movement" ?

Mr. Cui Ruibin practicing San Quan on the bag
    YouTube - Mr. Cui Ruibin practicing San Quan on the bag

Yiquan - pifa on bag
    YouTube - Yiquan - pifa on bag

Yiquan Master Yao Chengguang
    YouTube - Yiquan Master Yao Chengguang 姚承光先生击打沙袋发力

Yiquan hitting bag training
    YouTube - Yiquan hitting bag training

Maybe the bags are filled with Osmium, who knows...

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 6:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do we know anything of Wang's background in Shuai Jiao? Because what that article describes sure sounds like someone getting schooled with Shuai Jiao.