Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

how to avoid overtraining for beginners (lifting + training)

Hi,

This is my first post so I apologize if this issue is covered elsewhere on the forums but I wasn't able to find specifically how to properly balance a strength routine and independent martial arts training. I have just begun the lifting 2 weeks ago and the kickboxing 1 week ago. Currently i'm doing a 5x5 routine going Sun/Tues/Thurs around 11am and also training mon-thurs around 7pm for between 1-2 hours of kickboxing technique and conditioning. I know there are alot more variables to consider but like I said, I just started and want to avoid overtraining.

My question is, should I hold back on the lifting initially and just focus on the training? Other way around? Or should I split up my lifting into two days? I want to avoid being too worn on from lifting during my training classes because they are hard to keep up with as it is. I feel as though I can handle doing both programs but I also know that how I feel may not be indicative of the best way to manage this sort of thing.

If this helps, I am 5'10'' 180lbs, currently eating

breakfast: milk, 2 eggs, 1 vege 1 fruit, yogurt/cottage cheese

lunch: milk, chicken breast, 1 vege, 1 fruit , yogurt/cottage cheese

dinner: milk, pasta/chicken, 1 veggie, 1 fruit, yogurt/cottage cheese

nothing fancy, just unprocessed foods and im not really counting calories just eating until im not hungry. occasionally I might eat a protein bar or fruit / veggies after workouts because of convenience factor but otherwise I don't really deviate from these foods. I try and eat every 3 hrs but it can be hard with my schedule.

any help is much appreciated

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 11:19am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Until more qualified people give their input here's my 2 cents: You've got protein covered but it doesn't look like you're getting many complex carbs in that diet. I'd recommend adding some bread and cereals to lunch and breakfast respectively.

I don't think you need to worry about overtraining so long as you don't overdo it at the gym (don't work to failure).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 11:41am

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sleeping poorly is often the first sign of overtraining.

eat a lot and sleep a lot and you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 8:16pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should be fine, but the best sign of overtraining is if an area of your body won't recover fully.

I also don't think you are eating enough. My Wife is a nutritionist, but she is napping right now. When she gets up I will try to have her take a look.

What is your intended outcome from the training?

Do you take Creatine and a Nitric Oxide? They will help with recovery and help prevent overtraining.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 8:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really wouldn't try supplementing with nitric until you've got everything else dialed in.

Although really, I just wouldn't supplement with it in the first place, but that's just me.

TC: What 5x5 routine are you doing?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 11:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the help so far!

First, I am not too worried about my weight; my goal is to get stronger and lose fat. Im not looking for 6 packs asap but I do want to be in shape. I am not currently taking any supplements - I looked into creatine but I am planning on waiting a month and talking to one of my instructors first -is there something else I should look into? I just read up on Nitric Oxide and its interesting.. basically used to increase blood flow to muscles in order to stimulate growth. I'd have to talk to someone who has used it I guess.

I am using StrongLifts 5x5: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

Lets see, I am sleeping okay although i've always had issues sleeping and do use 3mg melatonin every night; lets just say after working out so much it feels good to lie down.. I haven't had any issues of specific muscles not recovering either. I do sweat buckets during training but im keeping up for the most part. I will see how the 2nd week of lifting + training goes.

Today I bought food for the whole week, it included gallon of whole milk, eggs, chicken breasts, bananas, whole wheat bread, soy & flaxseed chips, peeled carrots, oranges, apples, bananas, broccoli, peppers, and some pasta. I'm pretty much living off that regardless, anything im sorely missing?

thank you

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    9/05/2009 1:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recovery, here goes what I do:

Eat as much as possible all the time, clean diet of course.
    Contrast showers every day.
    Stretch (OK I hate it and don't do it but I should!)
    Massage, deep tissue, (it costs $$$ though, luckily I just bartered a massage therapist into our kids MMA program, sweet!)
    Sleep a lot.
    Supplements I use: Creatine, multi, beta alanine, MSM/Glucosamine/Chondroitin, Zinc, Glutamine, Leucine.

On the supplement part, I stopped all supplements for 2 months and can feel a huge difference in recovery.
    Same happened with the contrast showers.

Doing the above allows me to train 2x a day hard (with rest days every so often of course) without over-training.

Without, as the past month has shown, 1x a day and sometime I can squeeze in 2x a day. I feel like crap.

I'm ending my experiment.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 12:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see a point in ending either training. With weight lifting, you need to try to do a more wide variety of muscle groups in a single workout if you are just getting back into it. I have found that this works better for me, for some reason. Basically workout arms, chest, shoulders and even calfs in the same day. IMPORTANT note: If you put too much into this in the first several workouts then you will probably vomit. Stop the workout and take a 15-30 minute break if you start to feel queasy. After you have done this fuller body workout for a week or so then you should start isolating muscle groups. Arms in one workout with perhaps shoulders added. Legs in another with calfs added. Chest in another with abdomen and even back added. Etc.

There is no point in eating and eating even if you are not hungry. Your body will tell you how many calories you need. When building muscle, you will always add a bit of bodyfat along the way. However, don't stuff yourself to oblivion. Eat until you are no longer hungry and then only a bit more. NEVER waste calories by eating empty calorie food, also called foods with calories but no nutritional value. Each calorie counts, spend it wisely.

If you're trying to cut fat, don't eat until you are no longer hungry. Stop BEFORE you are full. Let yourself stay a little hungry. Deplete calories. Stay like this until you've cut the fat.

Take multi vitamins WITH food. Right before food. No other time.

Eat lean foods. Nothing fried. Choose whole wheat/whole grain breads over any other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 7:36pm

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin P View Post
    There is no point in eating and eating even if you are not hungry. Your body will tell you how many calories you need.
    I'm pretty sure this is not true.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 9:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by galois View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is not true.
    If you stuff yourself frequently, beyond your hunger point, then you get fat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast