Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 5:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello,

I just started Mantis Boxing at Michael Desargo's school in San Diego. My fourth class is tonight. So far I have been very pleased with the instruction. Sifu Desargo seems to really know what he is talking about and is always happy to answer any questions that I have and demonstrate what he is explaining. I have quite a bruise on my forearm from last Wednesday's practice involving strikes and blocks. While obviously the strikes are not full force in the beginners level, the blocks certainly are. Both of my forearms are still sore after five days. The emphasis at my school is 7 Star Praying Mantis, though Sifu Desargo does incorporate some 8 step at the more advanced level.

Posted On:
    9/15/2009 10:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to the zoo

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/15/2009 11:25am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Step View Post
    Alright man, fair enough. To fill you in a bit, every family of northern mantis does bung bo (crushing step). It may be the first form created by the founder, and definitely contains the entire 12 concepts (keywords) of the system. So while the different families (seven star, plum blossum, eight step, etc) all have their own list of forms, they all do bung bo. Their particular version of the form identifies where they come from.

I've been doing mantis for over 12 years. While I would say I definitely am not an expert and am definitely willing to learn, I can say two things:

1 - That side kick doesn't belong in the form at all

2 - That guy's skill is laughable

So I'm just saying you should keep an eye out. I am definitely open to seeing more of what the school has to offer, and I really hope you're right that the douche in the video I shared does not in fact represent what they are teaching in your school.
    7 Star does not have that side kick in Bung Bo fWIW.

That guy is awful, I was cringing watching his beginner level skills.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 12:59am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood".............. Only an ignorant, oxygen deprived person would make such a statement. I originally came to Bullshido because I thought that I could benefit from the advice of experienced people here. With few exceptions, most of the people on this site have been worthless pieces of ****. Pardon my use of the vernacular, (though I doubt many on this site have a clue what I just said), Aside from trashing all traditional martial arts, all I have heard is the boring refrain of BJJ, MMA, BII, MMA. I am glad to hear that BJJ is the flavor of the moment, I never heard of it growing up in the 70's, doubt that it will be a big deal 20 years from now. By then they will have something new, perhaps Cambodian wrestling, or Slovakian Head Butting. Almost every thread, or post that I have gone to on this site consists of people bashing some other persons style. I understand the concept of exposing bad schools and bad instrutors, It just seems to me that that this site has more than it's share of assholes that are quick to say how tough and badass their system, ( usually BJJ or MMA or MT ) is. Change the nature of the forum to MMA badasses. Then you won't have to waste your time, ( I am sure that you enjoy it though ) putting other people's styles down. UFC is the rollar derby and wrestiling of the 2000's. Eventually people will get tired of watching some muscle-bound moron telling the world ( perhaps one percent of the world's population) what a badass he is.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 1:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One last post to the bone heads here. Muay Thai is a Traditional, Asian, martial art. MMA borrows most of it's moves from Traditional, Asian, Matial arts. BJJ, the Holy Grail for most of the Bullshido community, is based on a Traditionl, Asian, martial art. JUjitsu? is that an American term? God forbid that I, a tough MF should study a Japanese art!

Think about that next time you train. You are practicing a Traditionl, Asian, Martial Art.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 1:51am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only do we all know what the vernacular is: We have also mastered the use of sophisticated literary techniques like proper spelling and the use of paragraphs.

Additionally, if you think that the theme of the site is blind hatred of “traditional” martial arts, you are so hopelessly dense that we are far better off without you, comedy value notwithstanding.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: dont go to the ground? ]
    The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:33am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know why I'm bothering but here goes.

First off, in relation to my quote; it's supposed to be funny, a play on words. You don't actually think I want to die during some kind of mass slaughter do you? Do you even understand comedy?

Secondly, traditional Martial Arts are not scorned here. In fact, Judo is one of the most popular styles on the board. Hell, most of the moderators/admin have traditional Martial Arts backgrounds. Only a complete fuckwitt would misunderstand the general consensus of advocating alive training over non-resistant drilling and standing in lines hitting the air to be a hatred for all things traditional. Thanks for the information by the way but we do understand the roots of our coveted hobbies.

Lastly, I can only assume from your wall-of-text rant and air of hostility that you are either the person in the video, are of a similar skill level or are one of said person's students. Which is it?

Oh and before I go, I would like to add that I was a 7 Star student for 5 years so I do know what Bung Bo is supposed to look like and that was sloppy at best.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    9/24/2009 3:47am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by peteprint View Post
    One last post to the bone heads here. Muay Thai is a Traditional, Asian, martial art. MMA borrows most of it's moves from Traditional, Asian, Matial arts. BJJ, the Holy Grail for most of the Bullshido community, is based on a Traditionl, Asian, martial art. JUjitsu? is that an American term? God forbid that I, a tough MF should study a Japanese art!

Think about that next time you train. You are practicing a Traditionl, Asian, Martial Art.
    Your a complete retard.

Nobody on here is 'anti - traditional'.

You've totally missed the point. The arts that are generally popular on here are arts that train Alive. Testing your skills against a fully resisting opponent is the only way one can really learn to fight.

Seriously i think your better of posting somewhere else if your too insecure to take a little criticism.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2009 9:46pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So Rim Dang Rang Kwan

Hello, I have a question of my own in regard to mantis style kung fu. In my area, there is a primarily Tae Kwon Do/Tang Soo Do school that also teaches a style it calls So Rim Dang Rang Kwan. I don't know the korean translation aside from So Rim being Shaolin, but they claim to teach a style of mantis kung fu (with a Korean influence). In regard to the Tae Kwon Do/Tang Soo Do part of the school, after research, they seem legit in that regard. But I don't know about the mantis kung fu. The site of the main organization of this particular style of kung fu is

http://www.sorimkungfu.com/index.html
    The website of the specific school that I'm talking about is
    http://saengmyong.com/

Obviously, based on their own descriptions of the art, the style they teach isn't strictly traditional mantis kung fu. I'm mainly wondering about exactly how authentic the mantis kung fu that served as the original base for the style is (ie- did they take genuine mantis kung fu and add their own touch, or did they take some stuff they saw on a bad movie and add it to their style). Can anyone help shed some light on this?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123