Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 3:50pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushing Step View Post
    Well thanks for agreeing with me, though I didn't see how your school was in question? Is it another thread?
    I was discussing sanshou with keej a couple of months ago through PM's, and now decided to check out his school, thats how he knew what i was talking about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Honest Truth. And while we're speaking the truth here, I really hope the guy in the first 50 seconds of the Wu Tan video I posted is not who you're talking to, because that buffoon is NOT a good representation of what our style is all about.

Whereabouts in Canada are you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 6:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Honest Truth. And while we're speaking the truth here, I really hope the guy in the first 50 seconds of the Wu Tan video I posted is not who you're talking to, because that buffoon is NOT a good representation of what our style is all about.

Whereabouts in Canada are you?
    i rep 613 (ottawa)
    from watching that guys videos, his kickboxing was horrible as well, he arm punches and kicks with no hip rotation, that looked more like a street fighter slug fest.

this isnt sanshou as you guys teach it, right keej ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 4:27pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen any of those guys from the video . . . and that's definitely not our gym in the video, either. They must be from another school. I've been told there's one in Montreal. I train at the one in Ottawa.

I guess the best I can tell you is to simply come and check it out. As far as I know, our school doesn't have any videos online and those forms and that "style" of Sanshou aren't anything I've seen at any of our classes.

*shrugs*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    I've never seen any of those guys from the video . . . and that's definitely not our gym in the video, either. They must be from another school. I've been told there's one in Montreal. I train at the one in Ottawa.

I guess the best I can tell you is to simply come and check it out. As far as I know, our school doesn't have any videos online and those forms and that "style" of Sanshou aren't anything I've seen at any of our classes.

*shrugs*
    3 more days :icon_chee
    reply to my PM dammit, i have never been to algonquin, help a bullshidoka out.

Also, this video is awesome:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1181378971108#

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 7:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post

*shrugs*
    Mind if I pose two questions?

1 - Does your style as a whole teach bung bo with a side kick like in this video?

2 - Besides not seeing this guy before, does he represent your style well?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 8:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mind if I pose two questions?

1 - Does your style as a whole teach bung bo with a side kick like in this video?

2 - Besides not seeing this guy before, does he represent your style well?
    I've only recently starting doing mantis with this school (I was only signed up for Sanshou classes previously; my background is Muay Thai) so I don't think I'm qualified to determine whether or not this guy represents my school's style. I don't know if bung bo is taught in this way because we are separated by experience levels, and (for mantis classes) I'm obviously with the noobs. I can at least say that what is shown in that video is not something that I've seen at the noob level classes. I can't say that I've seen it from the more experienced students when they practice and demo, either.

My understanding is that Wu-Tan is an international family of schools that are respectively run by friends and family members that trained under Liu Yun Qiao. As such, styles, techniques (etc) may vary from teacher to teacher and school to school. That being said, I've never seen what the guy in video does at the school I'm currently attending. Wish I could say more but, in all honesty, when it comes to Kung Fu / Mantis, I'm still a super noob. I came for the Sanshou and started taking Kung Fu / Mantis on the side. Wish I could help more!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 9:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright man, fair enough. To fill you in a bit, every family of northern mantis does bung bo (crushing step). It may be the first form created by the founder, and definitely contains the entire 12 concepts (keywords) of the system. So while the different families (seven star, plum blossum, eight step, etc) all have their own list of forms, they all do bung bo. Their particular version of the form identifies where they come from.

I've been doing mantis for over 12 years. While I would say I definitely am not an expert and am definitely willing to learn, I can say two things:

1 - That side kick doesn't belong in the form at all

2 - That guy's skill is laughable

So I'm just saying you should keep an eye out. I am definitely open to seeing more of what the school has to offer, and I really hope you're right that the douche in the video I shared does not in fact represent what they are teaching in your school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2009 9:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with you, CS.

Like I said before, I come from a Muay Thai background and, partially because of Bullshido and partially because of having bad experiences in the past, I'm extremely cynical about the martial arts "scene" and extremely skeptical about most "big box" schools and most traditional schools.

That being said, having spent time with the owner / head instructor / sifu of this school, I can say that I don't get a shifty vibe from him at all. Quite the opposite. And, with all due respect to the guy in the video, my sifu's motions are strong, precise and flawless; they are what I'd expect to see from a gold-medal winning traditional martial artist or from a professional actor in a high-budget martial arts movie.

As for their sanshou, I guess the only way to put it is the following: I've been a Muay Thai student at 4 of the 7 schools that teach Muay Thai in Ottawa; OAMA, Ronin, Nomad and Neak Ta Pradal Serey. So I feel confident enough to say that I have a good sense of how a realistic and practical striking-based style should be taught. I have no complaints about this school's Sanshou curriculum and, in particular, commend the main Sanshou instructor Sanhek (who is also a fighter) on his teaching, coaching and fighting skills. Even after doing Muay Thai for a few years, this guy puts me to absolute shame. I hope to one day be half as good as he is. Oh! We're also going to Toronto for the international Sanshou tournament in October (to watch; not to compete). At the same time, our sifu is setting us up with an affiliate school that a friend of his runs for a seminar that's being held by guys that train and fight with members of the Beijing and Shanghai sanshou teams. :)

So don't let that video throw you off. If you're even in town, get in touch and you'll be welcomed with open arms at Wu-Tan Ottawa and you can check it out for yourself. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2009 6:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good bro, thanks for the info!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast