Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2004 2:39am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Philip Gelinas?

Hey all,

I am a long time lurker. Let the newbie reaming begin.

That aside, I was wondering if/what anyone has heard about 'Philip Gelinas'? He is an instructor in downtown Montreal, Canada. Apparently he's proficient in several different arts; including JDK, Muay Thai, BJJ, Kali, and Kajukenbo. According to his website ( Link ) he became an instructor in Muay Thai under Ajarn Chai, which is what I am most interested in.

I went to one of his classes, and it seemed to me like he knew what he was doing. Granted, my experience is limited (LoL Tae Kwon Do! ). The classes are 90 minutes long, 3 times a week. They start with skipping rope, stretching, etc. Then move onto partner work with focus pads, then thai pad work. Then a cool down. The time seemed to go by pretty quickly. Sparring is not mandatory and done after class time. His philosophy is that not everyone involved in the classes necessarily wants to spar, and it is a waste of class time for those so disinclined.

So, if anyone can offer any insight on wether this sounds like a worthwhile MT school ( I know, it's a bit difficult when you have not been involved in the classes yourselves ) or information on the instructor I'd appreciate that. Thanks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/31/2004 2:47am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all
    ***newbie nooggie newbie noogie****

Third of all I'm tired of everybody saying that they've learn from this guy Chai. Not that the guy isn't good just that everybody wants to claim being trained by some joe shmoe that everybody knows. That being said the same advice goes to you about anybody, you like him go if you don't then don't.

peace.

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 9:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kuntaoSilat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I hope you're still there

Philip Gélinas is probably one of the finest fighting men in Canada. He runs a great school and he's legit and really competent in each arts he teaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot
    Hey all,

I am a long time lurker. Let the newbie reaming begin.

That aside, I was wondering if/what anyone has heard about 'Philip Gelinas'? He is an instructor in downtown Montreal, Canada. Apparently he's proficient in several different arts; including JDK, Muay Thai, BJJ, Kali, and Kajukenbo. According to his website ( Link ) he became an instructor in Muay Thai under Ajarn Chai, which is what I am most interested in.

I went to one of his classes, and it seemed to me like he knew what he was doing. Granted, my experience is limited (LoL Tae Kwon Do! ). The classes are 90 minutes long, 3 times a week. They start with skipping rope, stretching, etc. Then move onto partner work with focus pads, then thai pad work. Then a cool down. The time seemed to go by pretty quickly. Sparring is not mandatory and done after class time. His philosophy is that not everyone involved in the classes necessarily wants to spar, and it is a waste of class time for those so disinclined.

So, if anyone can offer any insight on wether this sounds like a worthwhile MT school ( I know, it's a bit difficult when you have not been involved in the classes yourselves ) or information on the instructor I'd appreciate that. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 9:34pm

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Philip Gelinas is a very competent Pekiti Tirsia kali instructor. I've heard a lot about him in FMA circles and he's highly regarded as a teacher and fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 9:35pm

Style: BJJ Gi and noGi,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard nothing but good things about Gelinas. I met him once and hes a nice guy. I believe he is also competent in what he is doing, which is what is important here. In the end its your choice, but I recommend him.

You are from montreal right?

Posted On:
    6/27/2006 9:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kuntaoSilat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never studied with him, but I'm use to go to his school 2 or 3 times a month. I'm practicing KuntaoSilat deThouars with Randall Goodwin. I'm living in the "Laurentides".

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 12:02am

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    First of all
    ***newbie nooggie newbie noogie****

Third of all I'm tired of everybody saying that they've learn from this guy Chai. Not that the guy isn't good just that everybody wants to claim being trained by some joe shmoe that everybody knows. That being said the same advice goes to you about anybody, you like him go if you don't then don't.

peace.
    One thing I noticed about Ajarn Chai is that those claiming to be instructed by him actually mean that they go to his seminars. Now at the seminars you can get tested and it is not an easy test. I was present at a test and he really put the guys through a good beating.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 6:47am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phil is a martial arts god.

He is an original dog brother, and continues to learn new things - most recently he is a brown belt in BJJ. Phil is also a very common sight at MMA events serving as the coach and corner man for many fighters.

Two things, if you are trolling to popularize Phil, you do not need to the guy is very well known in the community. If you just havent heard about him before, well you may have been living under a rock - perhaps hang out with some real fighters for awhile.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 6:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you realize how difficult it is to go wrong with MT?
    Last edited by mrblackmagic; 6/28/2006 7:03am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2006 7:40am

Style: Muay Thai, Kali, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Phil is a martial arts god.

He is an original dog brother, and continues to learn new things - most recently he is a brown belt in BJJ. Phil is also a very common sight at MMA events serving as the coach and corner man for many fighters.

Two things, if you are trolling to popularize Phil, you do not need to the guy is very well known in the community. If you just havent heard about him before, well you may have been living under a rock - perhaps hang out with some real fighters for awhile.
    Amen to that. It honestly doesn't get any better than Philip Gelinas. He is one of tree people that my PT Kali Guro has unhesitatingly said is a great teacher and fighter- the other two were GT Leo Gaje and Tuhon Bill McGrath. That is elite company.

If you can train with him you should at all costs. And you're crazy if you don't do kali with him. Seriously.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast