Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    835
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by littleoldme View Post
    I wouldn't want to train with people like that

    The whole idea of an insular and exclusive religious martial arts group feels like it has the potential to turn into something cult like. That whole thing of excluding, rather than valuing, diversity and intolerance of dissent / difference is unhealthy IMO

    I just wouldn't want to spend time around people who were so pleased with themselves and their religion. I know myself too well, just being around them would make me feel compelled to act in ways they would consider delinquent
    It's double-powerful: they train teh_d34dly, and worship teh_righ3ou5 so when they kill you with their skillz, you goto hell.

    But seriously. Black, is meditation actually against Christianity? I don't think it falls under false idols, as all you're doing is basically relaxing and thinking. Or not thinking...yannow what I mean.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    20
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef View Post
    It's double-powerful: they train teh_d34dly, and worship teh_righ3ou5 so when they kill you with their skillz, you goto hell.

    But seriously. Black, is meditation actually against Christianity? I don't think it falls under false idols, as all you're doing is basically relaxing and thinking. Or not thinking...yannow what I mean.
    I wouldn't say it's against Christianity but most fundies would.

    Edited to add: I said "Zen" meditation.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    82
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The funny thing is, Christianity has been filled with meditative practices for a very long time, and most of the ancient traditions (Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox) are perfectly fine with certain types of meditation. For instance, some Eastern Orthodox take 1 Cor. 5:17 ("pray without ceasing") literally, and so attempt to say the so-called Jesus Prayer over and over and over. The prayer is "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner," or some variation of that. You just say that same statement over and over again, hundreds or thousands of times. They claim that once you say it enough, that it becomes a part of you, even in your sleep (which they see as a fulfillment of the verse "I sleep, but my heart is awake" - Song 5:2).

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    835
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I'm used to people saying "Zen meditation" when they mean "meditation". Back in my Shito-Ryu days we did just meditation...nothing Zen about it. My assumption, my bad.

    I still don't understand how someone would think Zen meditation would be against Christianity, but I guess I should find a fundamentalist to explain it to me.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    20
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef View Post
    Sorry, I'm used to people saying "Zen meditation" when they mean "meditation". Back in my Shito-Ryu days we did just meditation...nothing Zen about it. My assumption, my bad.

    I still don't understand how someone would think Zen meditation would be against Christianity, but I guess I should find a fundamentalist to explain it to me.
    Because Zen is a form of Buddhism and everyone knows Buddhists are unsaved heathens. They're all going to hell. We're not supposed to be "unequally yoked to unbelievers" like their doctrinal statement says. ;-}

  6. #16
    DerAuslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,449
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef View Post
    Sorry, I'm used to people saying "Zen meditation" when they mean "meditation". Back in my Shito-Ryu days we did just meditation...nothing Zen about it. My assumption, my bad.

    I still don't understand how someone would think Zen meditation would be against Christianity, but I guess I should find a fundamentalist to explain it to me.
    Don't get me started.

  7. #17
    hapkido_keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,300
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Don't get me started.
    Please, by all means, enlighten us.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    284
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hapkido_keith View Post
    please, by all means, enlighten us.
    Don't poke the bear!!!!!

    :)

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    835
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxpress View Post
    Because Zen is a form of Buddhism and everyone knows Buddhists are unsaved heathens. They're all going to hell. We're not supposed to be "unequally yoked to unbelievers" like their doctrinal statement says. ;-}
    *shudders*
    Thanks! I understand the viewpoint now.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    359
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would think a Jew schlepping into a roomful of goyim would provide just about all the "aliveness" you could ask for, whether they train for it or not.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO