225228 Bullies, 4452 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 21
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Man_Among_Men is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    51

    Posted On:
    9/03/2009 9:47am


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    If the closest BJJ school is too far, should I take "Shooto" instead?

    There's a school that teaches "Shooto" around where I live. Is it pretty much like BJJ? I never heard of this art before finding this school.
    YouTube - Yori Nakamura Shooto 中村頼永 修斗
  2. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,337

    Posted On:
    9/03/2009 9:59am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Among_Men View Post
    There's a school that teaches "Shooto" around where I live. Is it pretty much like BJJ? I never heard of this art before finding this school.
    are you in japan? if you are in japan and can train at a shooto gym, then yes, by all means you should train there.

    if you are outside of japan, then i would post as much info as you can about the school and try to see how often they compete at regional shooto events and how well they do.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  3. Man_Among_Men is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    51

    Posted On:
    9/03/2009 10:03am


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    are you in japan? if you are in japan and can train at a shooto gym, then yes, by all means you should train there.

    if you are outside of japan, then i would post as much info as you can about the school and try to see how often they compete at regional shooto events and how well they do.
    I don't think they even compete in Shooto events, they do enter mma competitions sometimes, but the students are pretty much amateurs. (I am a complete beginner in grappling, so might not be so bad)
  4. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,337

    Posted On:
    9/03/2009 10:21am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Among_Men View Post
    I don't think they even compete in Shooto events, they do enter mma competitions sometimes, but the students are pretty much amateurs. (I am a complete beginner in grappling, so might not be so bad)
    ok, again... are you in japan??? if not, where do you live?

    in japan, there are certified shooto gyms. they have a complex system of amateur events and pro events, with an A,B,C ranking system and a requirement to have fought a certain number of events at each class before moving on to the next. these gyms are focused on shooto (the sport) much like boxing gyms are focused on boxing.

    and again, what is the name of the gym you are considering. do they have a website? are they just throwing the term "shooto" around, or are they actually affiliated with the shooto organization?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  5. Man_Among_Men is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    51

    Posted On:
    9/03/2009 10:28am


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    ok, again... are you in japan??? if not, where do you live?

    in japan, there are certified shooto gyms. they have a complex system of amateur events and pro events, with an A,B,C ranking system and a requirement to have fought a certain number of events at each class before moving on to the next. these gyms are focused on shooto (the sport) much like boxing gyms are focused on boxing.

    and again, what is the name of the gym you are considering. do they have a website? are they just throwing the term "shooto" around, or are they actually affiliated with the shooto organization?
    i sent a pm about it
  6. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,337

    Posted On:
    9/03/2009 10:44am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    got your PM. from what you sent me it looks like a school with a solid program, and good "lineage" to legit shooto in japan.

    i would train there if i was local, looks like a good place, but if you want the opinion of someone who might have 1st hand experience with the instructor, i would PM lebell, as he is quite well networked in your part of the world.

    personally i just started judo, as i feel there is a lot to be gained by doing jacket wrestling, so if i were you, i would keep an eye out for some BJJ or Judo in the future to round out your game.

    good luck with the training.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
  7. Man_Among_Men is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    51

    Posted On:
    9/03/2009 10:47am


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    got your PM. from what you sent me it looks like a school with a solid program, and good "lineage" to legit shooto in japan.

    i would train there if i was local, looks like a good place, but if you want the opinion of someone who might have 1st hand experience with the instructor, i would PM lebell, as he is quite well networked in your part of the world.

    personally i just started judo, as i feel there is a lot to be gained by doing jacket wrestling, so if i were you, i would keep an eye out for some BJJ or Judo in the future to round out your game.

    good luck with the training.
    Thanks a lot for the advise
  8. M0ney is offline

    I AM A MISERABLE ATTEMPT AT A TROLL

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    32

    Posted On:
    9/03/2009 5:41pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Trollshido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I've seen "Shooto" is an organization that has its own kind of MMA with rule varying depending on the level or "class" A and B = Pro C and D = Amatuer (Amashooto).

    So saying that you train "Shooto" is like saying "I Train UFC". There are however many "Shooting Gym....." but no actual style named Shooto.
  9. Man_Among_Men is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    51

    Posted On:
    9/03/2009 5:44pm


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M0ney View Post
    As far as I've seen "Shooto" is an organization that has its own kind of MMA with rule varying depending on the level or "class" A and B = Pro C and D = Amatuer (Amashooto).

    So saying that you train "Shooto" is like saying "I Train UFC". There are however many "Shooting Gym....." but no actual style named Shooto.
    interesting, then for example what are these kids learning here? i always thought they were learning "shooto" lol
    YouTube - Kung Fu Teacher

    that's one hell of a teep at 28 seconds btw
  10. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,977

    Posted On:
    9/03/2009 5:52pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M0ney View Post
    As far as I've seen "Shooto" is an organization that has its own kind of MMA with rule varying depending on the level or "class" A and B = Pro C and D = Amatuer (Amashooto).

    So saying that you train "Shooto" is like saying "I Train UFC". There are however many "Shooting Gym....." but no actual style named Shooto.
    So basically, you took this part of ming's post:
    in japan, there are certified shooto gyms. they have a complex system of amateur events and pro events, with an A,B,C ranking system and a requirement to have fought a certain number of events at each class before moving on to the next. these gyms are focused on shooto (the sport) much like boxing gyms are focused on boxing.
    Then added a stupid trolling response?

    Yep, the flashing pink letters are correct.

    Go read up on a poster named Hannibal and get your trolling correct.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.