Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 4:56pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    I want to know who the silver medalist is at your gym. Is he Korean, French, Japanese or Canadian? The only American choices are Vince Precidio in 1988, Robert Berland in 1984 and Jason Morris in 1992. The other US medalist are Bregman, Liddie, Swain, and Pedro.
    The name Bregman could be it, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to memorize a lot of names at once over there, and I'm really not a name person. He's a white guy, though, and with the way he speaks is either American or Canadian. He's about 6 feet and has short dark hair, but I doubt that really helps at all. But he has a somewhat long last name and I THINK it starts with a B.

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 4:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lostitagain View Post
    You're lucky. I did ukemi for about a month before they ever taught me a throw. Later I found out that it was because of my instructor's head injury from Vietnam. It took him that whole month to start to recognize me and realize that I wasn't a first timer at class.
    That may be because I already know how to do Ukemi pretty darn well since I spent months doing it back in my Aikido days. In fact, that was about 75% of what we did. Those bastards...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 8:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As it so happens, tonight was my first night of Judo. We started with warmups, and then a brown belt took us aside and taught the new students some things. We learnt to break our fall in various ways first. Then we were taught 2 throws, O-goshi and another one (I'm not positive about the name, but when I Googled basic Judo thows, Seoi-nage looks like what we were taught). It felt kind of strange tonight, because of the 5 new students, 4 were kids (not even teenagers), so I was the only new adult. I guess it was good in that I got to practice with the person instructing us. Of the 25 or so total students in the class, it looked like about 6 were adults.

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, Judo is VERY cheap, just like everybody says here, but NOT widely available. There's a small handful of places to train in the entirety of Phoenix, most of which are FAR out of the way. To find more, you'd have to go to Gilbert, Mesa, etc... And I live in Anthem, which is the Northernmost part of Phoenix.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 8:54pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    The name Bregman could be it, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to memorize a lot of names at once over there, and I'm really not a name person. He's a white guy, though, and with the way he speaks is either American or Canadian. He's about 6 feet and has short dark hair, but I doubt that really helps at all. But he has a somewhat long last name and I THINK it starts with a B.
    Or maybe Martin Boonzayer, not a medallist but an olympian. Are you training at Global Judo (at Gracie Barra) in Phoenix?

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 10:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrt View Post
    Or maybe Martin Boonzayer, not a medallist but an olympian. Are you training at Global Judo (at Gracie Barra) in Phoenix?
    Actually, I think it is Boonzayer. I'm not at Global Judo, no. I don't even know where that is. I couldn't find anything by that name when I did my Judo search. Where is it?

Anyway, I'm starting to wonder if the silver medal is just a rumor that's been spread, because I haven't found his name anywhere online in a search. Plus he isn't the one who told me he had a medal, it was another student.

I'm at Desert Judo, its nice only paying 18 dollars a month, and the classes are actually quite good, especially when (who I believe is) Boonzayer shows up for them (once every 3 classes or so).

Would you mind PMing me with some info on Global Judo?
    Last edited by IMightBeWrong; 9/03/2009 10:52pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 11:18pm

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel your pain, Phoenixbuddy. There are only two fucking places which teach what I presume is Kodokan Judo, neither of which hold classes when I could actually go, and the rest are Kodenkan schools so their "judo" is suspect. Fucking Kodenkan*.

*Sadly, the only gi-wearng throwan combatgripple experience I have is which the Kodenkan, so my anger, eventually, comes full circle back down on my head.

Of course, I could venture into the wild regions of my boxing gym and learn wrestling from fucking Drew "The Beermaster" Fickett, but I'm a ***** and thusly find myself hesitant to enter into their domain unless I really, really need to take a piss. I blame karate.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Boonzayer teaches at Gracie Barra Phoenix (they're over by the Metrocenter, nice looking facility but out of the way for me) - cool that he comes up to your club on a regular basis. I can see why you had trouble finding a place near Anthem, you really have to be down in the central/southeast valley to have many options. Good luck with it!

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 11:28pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learning ukemi is the simplest thing in the world. You either do it right, or it keeps hurting.

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 12:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropic777 View Post
    Yeah, Boonzayer teaches at Gracie Barra Phoenix (they're over by the Metrocenter, nice looking facility but out of the way for me) - cool that he comes up to your club on a regular basis. I can see why you had trouble finding a place near Anthem, you really have to be down in the central/southeast valley to have many options. Good luck with it!
    Thanks. Hey, since you're in Phoenix and an obvious gun guy, we should go shooting sometime. I'll need to get some cash since I'm currently job-searching and flat broke, but once I can get some together I'd be glad to head down to Shooters World or something for some target practice if you're up for it.

EDIT: Checked out the Gracie Barra BJJ website. Looks like a good place to cross train at some point. Living in Anthem gets you used to having to drive to get ANYWHERE, so the drive wouldn't really bother me. I'll have to check them out.
    Last edited by IMightBeWrong; 9/04/2009 12:30am at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast