Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 10:49pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First Day of Judo

So I'm finally in my Judo class and had my first day this week. Obviously the whole time was devoted to learning and practicing Ukemi.

It was actually a pretty good rush. Let's just say that I am terrified of falling. It's contributed alot to me not being able to be tripped or pushed over because my worst injuries occured after a big fall and I never wanted that to happen again so I practice balance ALOT.

Enter Ukemi. Now I won't lie, at first it hurt quite a bit. However as we kept practicing and with the instructor coming up and correcting my shitty technique a few times I actually really enjoyed it. After doing it correctly it just stopped hurting (obviously the mat had something to do with it too but just saying) and I was amazed at how my body could absorb impact like that when done correctly.

Learning to fall correctly was a big rush. I can see this being useful throughout my life and especially as I get older.

Now I can't wait until I get to learn how to throw people :)

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 12:22am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just had my 3rd Judo class today. Went over Seio Nage for the first time today, and a little bit on O Uchi Gari. Past throws I've gone over were Tai Otoshi, Osoto Gari, O Goshi, and Harai Goshi. We've also drilled some Ne Waza, mostly guard passing, shrimping, etc...

Its really a fun sport. I got my toe stubbed today by another newbie trying a Seio Nage and there's some blood under the nail, but that's no biggie. We've got some great coaches too, one of which was an Olympic Silver Medalist at the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000. Can't for the life of me remember his name, but I'll catch it again next class.

Stick with it, I know I will. Something about throwing and being thrown is just a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 12:31am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st time Judo nub on the Monday just passed as well!

Hi 5 fellow jNoobs

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 3:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ghehe i dont want to worry anyone but just some advice:when you get to o soto gari (it will be one of the first they'll teach you) make sure your dude isn't the spazzing noob.
    ive had it happen to me on more then one occasion that instead of scooping up the leg to control the fall in the desired direction by tori, tori was a spazzing noob and instead ram/kicks his heel right in the middle of my kalf (sp?) muscle.

an interesting type of pain, resulting in a good 20 mins cramp and large bruising.

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 5:41am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Say goodbye to your toes.
    It's a worthwhile price to pay.

WIthout being a judo nuthugger, I love it cos it ain't as repetitive as bjj. You get clinch, and when you get bored, you get ground.

You also have money left over to buy girls drinks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 7:10am

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    ghehe i dont want to worry anyone but just some advice:when you get to o soto gari (it will be one of the first they'll teach you) make sure your dude isn't the spazzing noob.
    ive had it happen to me on more then one occasion that instead of scooping up the leg to control the fall in the desired direction by tori, tori was a spazzing noob and instead ram/kicks his heel right in the middle of my kalf (sp?) muscle.

an interesting type of pain, resulting in a good 20 mins cramp and large bruising.
    I'd much rather had my spazzing noob heel kick me in the calf than do what they actually did, which was a fucking Burning Lariat, minus any pro-wrassler intent to not murder me. My neck still hurts from that ****.

Man I wish any of the Judo dojo here had classes on any day but Tuesday and Thursday, which are my karate days, because fucking Zaohu has learned more throws in three classes than I have in four months in fucking Matsuno-ryu Jujitsu. I like the instructor and the style well enough, but god damnit this is still bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 7:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve View Post
    Obviously the whole time was devoted to learning and practicing Ukemi.
    Good. I've pretty much had to practice it on my own since my first class (total b00b here as well, FWIW). But then, the only class I can make is slated to be "open mat" so I'm not blaming anyone but myself. It's freaking important, though, so even if you find yourself getting bored, remember that you may never have an opportunity to throw someone, but you will almost certainly have the opportunity to break a fall. Seems like some people either forget or don't get that and start rolling their eyes at the thought of practicing them.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 7:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    Say goodbye to your toes.
    It's a worthwhile price to pay.
    LOL! you should see my feet! each toe pretty much faces its own direction.
    ghehehe!

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 8:02am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to know who the silver medalist is at your gym. Is he Korean, French, Japanese or Canadian? The only American choices are Vince Precidio in 1988, Robert Berland in 1984 and Jason Morris in 1992. The other US medalist are Bregman, Liddie, Swain, and Pedro.

Its a pretty elite group of American judoka who have won medals in the Olympics. Having watched many of them play Judo you it is amazing that they only placed like they did. Just goes to show you how high the level of competition is in the Olympics.

Oh and welcome to the party.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 8:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    I just had my 3rd Judo class today. Went over Seio Nage for the first time today...
    You're lucky. I did ukemi for about a month before they ever taught me a throw. Later I found out that it was because of my instructor's head injury from Vietnam. It took him that whole month to start to recognize me and realize that I wasn't a first timer at class.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast