--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    25th then. Works for me.

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 8:54am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    25th is fine by me, I promise this time!

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 8:55am

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You sure? No Ratt/Slayer/Slaughter/Poison shows that weekend???

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 8:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey all locals...Royce is in Raleigh today and doing a seminar at Crossfit at 7pm.

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 11:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The earliar the better, because then it's sooner to the next one. Before I reverted to poor student status for the 2nd time in life, I made 2 purchases, a cheapo video camera and (even) thicker shin pads.

I want to do some friendly-not-trying to knock-each-other-out-but-let's-hit-each-other-really-hard-in-the-face standup with headgear + decently padded pads. That means people (if they're interested!) just need to make sure they have 1) mma training gloves (at least 1.5 inches of padding) not cage gloves 2) thick shin/instep pads; no little cloth shins unless you're doubling them up under a medium thick shin to make it into a ghetto thick pad. 3) Knee pads would also be good; I use 1" thick foam asics ones I got for $10 on amazon.

I'll bring a mixed bag of headgear for people (and I know SJ has some too). I have a few with clear face masks, regular boxing style, and a lei tei bar style. It'll be fun, we can take some good swings at each other but no one will have a fucked up face on Monday.

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 11:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    You sure? No Ratt/Slayer/Slaughter/Poison shows that weekend???
    You whore. Don't list Slayer in the same sentence as Ratt, etc.

Queensryche is coming to town.

On one hand I think I've outgrown going to concerts (is that sad?), but on the other hand, they were awesome each of the 4x I've seen them.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 1:05pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    The earliar the better, because then it's sooner to the next one. Before I reverted to poor student status for the 2nd time in life, I made 2 purchases, a cheapo video camera and (even) thicker shin pads.

I want to do some friendly-not-trying to knock-each-other-out-but-let's-hit-each-other-really-hard-in-the-face standup with headgear + decently padded pads. That means people (if they're interested!) just need to make sure they have 1) mma training gloves (at least 1.5 inches of padding) not cage gloves 2) thick shin/instep pads; no little cloth shins unless you're doubling them up under a medium thick shin to make it into a ghetto thick pad. 3) Knee pads would also be good; I use 1" thick foam asics ones I got for $10 on amazon.

I'll bring a mixed bag of headgear for people (and I know SJ has some too). I have a few with clear face masks, regular boxing style, and a lei tei bar style. It'll be fun, we can take some good swings at each other but no one will have a fucked up face on Monday.
    Thanks for the checklist - I think I have all the gear I need excepting knee pads... I'll also be bringing a gi in case anyone wants to kick my ass via heavy cloth.

If you just want to do standup why MMA gloves instead of boxing gloves, though?

Being a TD virgin, what IS the intensity level? Is this a ... how to phrase... contest? I'm not especially interested in "winning" just meeting and training hard with some folks outside my gym. My everything sucks, and I have kids and a job, so I can't get too fucked up here.:lookround

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 1:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey...I've got a 6 year old that I might have to bring so if you've got a kid of simiar age...bring 'em along and they can keep each other busy! ;)

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 1:16pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Hey...I've got a 6 year old that I might have to bring so if you've got a kid of simiar age...bring 'em along and they can keep each other busy! ;)
    5 yr old girl and 7 yr old boy...The problem is that I'll have to tell Mommy about this whole thing if I bring them. Which involves my having to admit that I would "schedule fights on the internet like some kind of stupid teenager". That, as opposed to coming home with an un-scheduled fat lip.

I'll see what shakes out on the home front and let you know. Actually the kids hang out with me a lot at my gym, so it's feasible.

Posted On:
    9/04/2009 1:48pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Thanks for the checklist - I think I have all the gear I need excepting knee pads... I'll also be bringing a gi in case anyone wants to kick my ass via heavy cloth.

If you just want to do standup why MMA gloves instead of boxing gloves, though?

Being a TD virgin, what IS the intensity level? Is this a ... how to phrase... contest? I'm not especially interested in "winning" just meeting and training hard with some folks outside my gym. My everything sucks, and I have kids and a job, so I can't get too fucked up here.:lookround
    It's pretty much as hard or as soft as you and your buddy want it to be. I (personally) keep a firm eye on everyone (when not sparring) to make sure no shenanigans ensure. I don't care if two people want to punch each other in the face; I just want it consensual.
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast