Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 8:40am

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gray looks tough and just keeps getting better. What else would you expect from a Spartan. Huerta though is one tough dude as well. That really was a good fight.

Diaz just is slick. That is all you can say!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Cephalopod View Post
    And it's a good thing for Nate that Melvin is a moron, because he was getting worked over for most of that fight.
    He usually is getting worked over. It is truly bizarre that someone would, apparently, choose to remain ignorant about how to shore up their weak spot. Can you imagine if Melvin had the ground skills of even a brown belt?

Huerta's not a great fighter but he's a solid one. It is kind of a shame he's off chasing the acting bug but I'm glad he didn't beat Gray, because that would have derailed the momentum of a solid contender and Huerta wouldn't be sticking around to replace him.

I do have a fairly high opinion of Huerta and for that reason I was pretty impressed with Gray's performance. He came closer to finishing him than Florian ever did.
    I never really even thought of him as very solid, mainly just well hyped, although I think he usually fights smart. He got in trouble too often against too many guys who are no longer around for me to really think of him as solid. This fight changed that and I do wonder where he'd be now if he hadn't taken the last year off from fighting.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    He usually is getting worked over. It is truly bizarre that someone would, apparently, choose to remain ignorant about how to shore up their weak spot. Can you imagine if Melvin had the ground skills of even a brown belt?
    Matt Hughes has been training standup for at least as long as Melvin has been training ground. Sometimes people just lack natural talent in a certain area.

I never really even thought of him as very solid, mainly just well hyped, although I think he usually fights smart. He got in trouble too often against too many guys who are no longer around for me to really think of him as solid. This fight changed that and I do wonder where he'd be now if he hadn't taken the last year off from fighting.
    Huerta gets in trouble because he takes risks and fights in a very wide open style. He's got good defense and fights at a very fast pace which enables him to make things happen even against people who are technically superior.

I was impressed with his sub defense against Crane. Granted Crane has been a disappointment in mma but Huerta was using very technical escapes.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/22/2009 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt Hughes has been training standup for at least as long as Melvin has been training ground. Sometimes people just lack natural talent in a certain area.
    Who has Melvin been training under though? He left at least one gym that had guys with solid ground skills. Maybe he lacks the natural talent to be a greatly skilled grappler, hell I do too, but you can't tell me that his submission defense couldn't be improved.

I'd argue it isn't necessarily that he needs to improve though, he just fights stupid. He was able to avoid getting subbed by Tiabu but he losses when he's pressing.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234