Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 3:24pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What kind of exercise is safe for me given my injuries ?

So i decided to take a 1 month break from my MT training since school is starting, just to get used to my new schedule and routine.

While i am off i wanted to stay in shape somehow and hopefully lose some more fat, currently i am at 220 at 6'1ish, some of it is muscle but i have some extra pounds. getting down to ~210 would be grand if possible.

my main problems are
    1st) my left elbow is ****ed up from various injuries, its makes clicking noises and i feel pressure at the joints when i do anything that makes it bend while it has weight on it (such as tricep curls)

2) 2 weeks ago i got injured while training and tore my muscle on my left arm, specifically the point where the deltoid meets with the bicep and tricep, i mean really tore it to the point i couldnt sleep or lift my arm above hip level from a sitting position, i checked with the docs and was given anti-inflammatory drugs and told to rest, later switched to southpaw to stop using it for jabs (what i mostly do) and since then it got much better but i still feel reasonable pain when pushing with it (dumb bell presses for example)

3) a bit of knee problems from being spiked with elbows & knees when trying to knee while clinching, specifically my right knee where i hope my ACL didnt get damaged.
    ===============================

so given those injuries is it safe for me to jog for an hour every other day or is there a better cardio alternative which is kinder on the knees ?

assuming i want to keep exercising main muscle groups, are there ways to minimize stress on my left arm through different kind of exercises ?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    presses are pretty much the best thing to be doing for pushing/tricep strength. I would suggest going down to a weight where the pain is manageable and go for reps just for maintennance (and without pushing too hard). I tore the muscles at the back of my shoulder via dislocation while boxing and a similar training method worked for me. after a while though (and I wouldn't necessarily advocate this) using heavier weights hurt considerably less than using light weights, **** knows why.

for stamina try swimming. it'll help you with stamina and to be honest will give your muscles a pasting too, plus its gentle and low resistance so its reasonably good for shoulder injuries.

oh and btw, changing southpaw doing MT because of your shoulder injury is probably less beneficial to your fighting than if you kept your power hand back and instead used your teep kick as a jab, only using your lead hand to guard until it is better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 4:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we do have a swimming pool on the upper floor of my apartment building, so this might be worth a shot for a bit, mix it up between jogging and swimming, there is also an empty room for squash which i can use for jumping rope, but i doubt it will be any easier on the knees.

as for being southpaw, i am a natural switch step and just got more incentive to polish my slightly weaker side. not a big loss to my game at all, and even got others out of their comfort zone by switching up more often.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 5:26pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try rowing. it's easier on your knees and you can adjust the tension so that it doesn't hurt your elbow. It's good cardio, and burns more calories than running.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 5:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    try rowing. it's easier on your knees and you can adjust the tension so that it doesn't hurt your elbow. It's good cardio, and burns more calories than running.
    unfortunately rowing is also very shoulder intensive

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 4:47am

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rowing is external rotation so it's pretty good for most guys with shoulder problems although the full range might not work with the knees.

I bet the OP ruptures his bicep at the shoulder within a year. The OP probably has bones spurs in his elbow too. Time to take it easy and find a new doctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 9:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JRT6 View Post
    Rowing is external rotation so it's pretty good for most guys with shoulder problems although the full range might not work with the knees.

I bet the OP ruptures his bicep at the shoulder within a year. The OP probably has bones spurs in his elbow too. Time to take it easy and find a new doctor.
    taking bets now.

i did go to the docs, but they wont help much, wont give me an x-ray, and instead just tell me to stop doing what i do and practice golf.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 11:44am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep the moves compound and the weight light. Focus more on range of motion and keeping the joint free. Do some light stretching and ice the crap out of your sore spots.

That is where I would start.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2009 5:45pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well than chalk another victory up to socialized medicine b/c if you're not exchagerating the extent of your injuries you should be in an othor's office getting an MRI

Posted On:
    9/15/2009 12:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What kind of exercise is safe for me given my injuries ?

I want to say you should not have over exercise. Just go slowly and take non-veg sufficient.