Sponsored Links Spacer Image

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 3:12pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knife Question: Re. Rust

Years ago (11+/-) my grandfather bought me a Case XX knife. It was a simply beautiful knife. Two blades, folding into a darkened wood handle. Now I appreciate it, back then at the age of 13 more concerned with video games then knives I had little care for it.

I let it sit, and eventually lost it only to re-find it years later, dusty, both blades discolored and rusting. I cleaned the blade to the best of my ability but a great deal of the staining remains. Both blades are now a dark gray/black with small rust flecks.

I spoke to Case and they will oil and sharpen the blades but will do nothing for the rust and discoloration.

Any of my knife toting Bullies have any suggestions?
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 4:53pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it doesn't hinder the function, I wouldn't do too much to it. Sounds like it might have carbon steel blades, which will rust/discolor.

If you absolutely want them shiny, try buffing it off with a Scotch-Brite pad, and progressively finer grits of wet/dry automotive sandpaper. This has worked for me in the past.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 7:54pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What CD said. But if your jonesing for shiny condition try a knife show. one of the vendors may polish it for you. They have the polishing agents in many different and pretty colors and cool machines. If they can't do it there, then maybe at the shop.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 1:24am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel that having the knife your grandpa gave you years ago, is way more important than the discoloring of the blade. Heck, I bet it looks cooler that way. As for having it sharp, well, it sounds like your on the right path.

My grandpa just passed away a couple of months ago, and I know that I love the guns he left me, even if they aren't in the best shape.

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 1:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try Simichrome as directed, i live a stones throw from the ocean and it works wonders.

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 6:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carbon steel is regarded by many as the best material for knife blades as it keeps an edge longer than stainless.

I agree with the others. If it doesn't effect the function why bother? An old knife for actual use and not display should have a few stains/patina. Gives it character.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 11:05am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to get the rust off, try using a fine steel wool, and some light mineral oil.

Gently buff out the rust.

If that doesn't get all of it out, you can use a metal polish. Many people like Flitz's polish, I prefer Maas brand (available at Wal Mart, near the cleaning supplies). Take some polish, put it on a soft cloth, and gently buff.

Once you're done getting the rust off, give the knife blade a wiping down, using some 91% isopropyl alcohol a few times, and then coat the blade with a protectant. I recommend something that won't evaporate easily.

My preference? Superlube's Drifilm. It's Teflon solubilized in hexanes. Spray down the blade. The hexanes quickly evaporate, leaving you with a dry lubricant coating that doesn't attract dirt.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 12:00pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chemistry View Post
    If you want to get the rust off, try using a fine steel wool, and some light mineral oil.

Gently buff out the rust.
    I did this months ago, before putting the knife away somewhere safe as I lived on campus and can not carry a weapon, even a pocket knife.

The rust came of but left the discoloration behind. I'm going to give the knife another cleaning. I used Tetra-Gun the first time, and that helped get the rust off but I should have bought a oil to protect it.

Oh well, live and learn. I'll do another round of cleanup and post the results.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 1:48pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    The rust came of but left the discoloration behind. I'm going to give the knife another cleaning. I used Tetra-Gun the first time, and that helped get the rust off but I should have bought a oil to protect it.
    Yeah, that was about the same result I had when I was trying to clean the rust off a Kris Cutlery katana that had been abused (long story, but one of these days, I'll treat y'all to a goodie).

I was able to get the discoloration off with the Maas polish, using a hand cloth. I could probably have used my Dremel and its polishing head, but I just wasn't feeling that daring.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive always had great success with Flitz.

and some elbow grease.

I also use break free to lube and protect as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast