Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 1:58pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooded Justice View Post
    Shows need hosts (or hostess' as the case may be) don't they?

Edit: Don't know if anyone has watched the Aftermath episodes they have on the website but they are kind of interesting because they answer questions posted to their website about each episode. This one has some interesting info on how their simulator works and how they decide who fights who.

The Aftermath - Spartan vs. Ninja | SPIKE
    All that talk about "controversy" reminded of this:
    YouTube- DEADLIEST WARRIOR NINJA VS SPARTAN DISCUSSION PART 1

Note: it's just PART 1! He has a Part 2 with even more lecture and show-and-tell of his ninja toy collection.

It seems like every show has whiners afterwards. Here's one about Vikings vs. Samurai (which at least has the virtue of including some entertaining action):

YouTube- Viking vs. Samurai : Thrand's Aftermath Part 1

Why do people get this worked up over a show this stupid?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 1:58pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Apple View Post
    I wouldn't hate on this show so much if at least their methods were sound. Hell, I'd settle for just consistent.

"Lets test the US Special Forces hand grenade ....in a pexiglass booth full of mannequins"...?...Well OK. It seems goofy but it's a start.

"Now lets test the Spetznaz RDG-5 grenade, but not in a plexiglass booth like the US grenade lets put this one in a washing machine"....? Huh ? What is proved by doing that ? They did that kind of inconsistent crap all over the place.

The worst was during Viking vs Samurai they tested the Samurai sword against chain mail and it didn't even scratch the dummy (or was it a pig carcass ?) and they went ahead with the rest of the show as if it didn't matter that one warriors weapons WERE USELESS against the other. To say nothing about the certain 50 pound weight disparity between those two. It was never factored in as even a possible advantage.

They have yet IMHO to run any weapons tests worth a damn and whats worse is that those wielding them are also untested. Any slob of an animie fanboy can chop up a stationary unarmored gel torso or a hanging pig carcass and on this show that's what we see 99% of the time.

The firearms demos are even worse. I fully understand that live fire demos are inherently dangerous and safety must come before scientific rigor but testing scoped sniper rifles from all of 80 yards away ?
    Honestly even if you hate the show the Aftermath episodes are worth watching if only for the expert opinions. You see a slightly more real side to the normal players and they answer some decent questions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    All that talk about "controversy" reminded of this:
    YouTube- DEADLIEST WARRIOR NINJA VS SPARTAN DISCUSSION PART 1

Note: it's just PART 1! He has a Part 2 with even more lecture and show-and-tell of his ninja toy collection.

It seems like every show has whiners afterwards. Here's one about Vikings vs. Samurai (which at least has the virtue of including some entertaining action):

YouTube- Viking vs. Samurai : Thrand's Aftermath Part 1

Why do people get this worked up over a show this stupid?
    For the same reason they get worked up over this site. It shows them some of their misconceptions about their favorite warriors from history or present. It shows that some weapons are silly and worthless and some are awesome and simply superior. It isn't perfect by any means but it is what it is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 5:37pm

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a few other things the show does not take into account, like the realism of their training and the psychological side of their training. For instance, Spartan training consisted of actually killing people (their slaves), while the Samurai training included a ton of useless kata-like stuff, and then they spent even more time on completely unrelated things like poetry and philosophy. Weapons and armor differences aside, pitting the two IMO would be kinda like your average karate point fighter vs. a Greco-Roman wrestler/boxer who regularly competes in vale tudo matches for a living.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 5:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the same reason they get worked up over this site. It shows them some of their misconceptions about their favorite warriors from history or present. It shows that some weapons are silly and worthless and some are awesome and simply superior. It isn't perfect by any means but it is what it is.

Really ? That's what you think this show does ? I can see this as an admirable concept but in execution this show is 10 pounds of fail in 5 pound bag. If anything it reinforces false notions of what is important in a battle ie sword AND shield vs just sword, no armor vs armor, training and conditioning and so on

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    Which is exactly why it should be called "Deadliest Weapons".
    ...Ok, I see your point.
    Though an even better title would be "**** yeah, Let's Cut Some Dead Pigs in Half."
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 7:13pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^This.

"Oh ****, my sword hit that metal rod, GET OUT THE FUCKING PIGS, DOC."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2010 11:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by excludedmiddle View Post
    There are a few other things the show does not take into account, like the realism of their training and the psychological side of their training. For instance, Spartan training consisted of actually killing people (their slaves), while the Samurai training included a ton of useless kata-like stuff, and then they spent even more time on completely unrelated things like poetry and philosophy. Weapons and armor differences aside, pitting the two IMO would be kinda like your average karate point fighter vs. a Greco-Roman wrestler/boxer who regularly competes in vale tudo matches for a living.
    They had a special episode that had the spartan vs the samurai and then the spetsnaz vs someone I can't remember. The spartan won mostly because he had a spear and shield combo. Especially a shield that had metal that didn't break when hit with the giant samurai club. Spartans actually focused on being sharp minded and multi talented much like the samurai. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta#Education .

Bad Apple: I am saying that one of the things the show does is demonstrate visibly the effect the weapons have upon the human body and some kinds of armor. I am not saying that their battle enactments and even their decisions of victory are correct. Just saying they show you what happens when a spear hits a chest or an axe hits a head. Seriously if you haven't checked the aftermath episodes out you should. They answer some of the points you are bringing up. Not necessarily to your or my satisfaction but like I said, you get a better idea of what they are trying to do without the strong "Spike tv" spin on presentation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2010 12:39am

Style: BJJ (blue), Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They had a special episode that had the spartan vs the samurai and then the spetsnaz vs someone I can't remember. The spartan won mostly because he had a spear and shield combo. Especially a shield that had metal that didn't break when hit with the giant samurai club. Spartans actually focused on being sharp minded and multi talented much like the samurai. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparta#Education .

Bad Apple: I am saying that one of the things the show does is demonstrate visibly the effect the weapons have upon the human body and some kinds of armor. I am not saying that their battle enactments and even their decisions of victory are correct. Just saying they show you what happens when a spear hits a chest or an axe hits a head. Seriously if you haven't checked the aftermath episodes out you should. They answer some of the points you are bringing up. Not necessarily to your or my satisfaction but like I said, you get a better idea of what they are trying to do without the strong "Spike tv" spin on presentation.
    Yeah, seeing that episode is the reason I posted on this. I was just saying that while the Spartan did still win, there were other factors which would have made the outcome much more obvious. Do you know if they put up an aftermath episode for that episode yet?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2010 1:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by excludedmiddle View Post
    Yeah, seeing that episode is the reason I posted on this. I was just saying that while the Spartan did still win, there were other factors which would have made the outcome much more obvious. Do you know if they put up an aftermath episode for that episode yet?
    I literally stumbled onto the aftermath videos last night while trying to find the episode video for the spartan vs samurai as I only got to read the results from wikipedia. I get what you are saying about other factors but those factors are present and usually the same for both sides. Spartans thought using arrows was cowardly and for pussies. Samurai seemed to never used shields, perhaps because it could be seen as hiding from your enemy and not very samurai like. Both are telling of the intangibles but also are reflected in what they fight with and how they fought.

But in the end all the show is, is the most elaborate D&D sessions ever played out for tv.
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast