Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 10:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

post continued

Here is the way I evaluate how realistic an indonesian or Fma guy is.. how effective they actually are: if it is helpful use it, if not feel free to call me names and question my sexual orientation:eusa_danc.

Fact; on every video one looks at most FMA guys have fast hands.... great, a lot of people do and if you are depending upon that to win fights well if your name is miguel cotto and you are under 40 years old you might do quite well.

Fact; on every video presentation guys seem to get what Denny has called the Filipino triangle... people understand that the footwork is the equivalent of piercing the opponent with an arrowhead, i.e. the tip of the triangle opens up and the rest of the attack follows.... This "tip" could be a hand check, a step in, a strike, or parry, etc. Again, most guys seem to get this.

Ok so what seperates the men from the boys? When you look at the videos most guys wind up trading blows in front of the opponent and then going in for the finish.. I would say 90% or so do this... it is wrong. It is wrong because if he is faster, stronger, angrier, with weapon, etc he may well win a trade of blows and then you cannot facilitate the rest of your attack.

The real good guys? the minute they initiate contact, or start any sequence of footwork, or use a weapon they are at the opponent's flank or, if they are in front of the opponent the opponent's balance is taken. the spine is bent and the person is unable to strike back with any power. In other words as soon as we make any contact I am at your flank hitting, throwing, cutting, you and you cannot do the same to me.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 11:26am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Collective of Idiots who have spawned many FMA-related threads in YMAS over the past few days.

USE THE MOTHERFUCKING FMA FORUM!!!!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sapus work. Elbows and knees work. Punches work. Triangular shields work. Leg checks work. Roundhouse kicks with the shin work. Stomping and knee dropping a downed opponent works. Heavy open handed slaps work. Kick catches and sweeps work.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 12:16pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have found Panantukan to be one of the most useful things I ever learned, but then, we never concentrated on series like Gaja. Take a look at what Ron Balicki does. That's how it should be trained...and sparred with.

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 1:07pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the good FMA empty-hand stuff I've learned was dirty boxing. Jab, cross, hook, uppercut, and if you get a little too close, just use your elbows.

With regards to the freeze-in-place while the other guy flurries style of training... It has it's place. But it is only a training exercise, and is not how you would actually fight. I think of it kind of like focus mitts. The feeder/holder gives his partner a chance to react then flurry with strikes. Then he move again, forcing a reaction and another flurry.

In a real fight someone isn't just going to stand there. But if you never have a chance to start hooking up combos, you won't learn jack. Assuming you're a less experienced arnisador or boxer, how could you ever expect to land two or more shots against a more experienced fighter without practicing your combos on something? Whether it's a heavy bag, focus mitts, or emi-cooperative partner hesitating to let you flurry doesn't matter.

One thing that I do with my students is that at a certain point, they have to start dealing with follow-through when practicing their close-range flurries (serrada). Either they make a really clean check/stop of the weapon hand (very rare), or their check deflects the weapon hand away, and then they close as it retracts away from them, then they apply pressure and begin their flurry.

I don't try to mislead them into thinking that they'll just be able to wail away on someone with dozens of strikes while their opponent just stands there. I strive to get them to land one decisive shot, and if possible land a couple more. If you really crack someone with that first strike, you may get one or two more freebies. After this, the person will inevitably bail out or try to clinch.

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 5:30pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of the stuff in that series (from how you're describing it at least) I can actually pull off in isolation, not one big fucking megacombo.

Putar Kepala? Easy if I have the forearm- to throat with the whizzer, or fake going for a guillotine.

Uppercut from underneath his arm? This is how I hit southpaws that are taller than me.

Guntings? When I want to clown a dude who's much slower than me.

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 5:49pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    I have found Panantukan to be one of the most useful things I ever learned, but then, we never concentrated on series like Gaja. Take a look at what Ron Balicki does. That's how it should be trained...and sparred with.
    That's kinda funny because I was watching Ron Balicki's DVD set on Filipino Boxing which inspired me to make this thread. The dvd's include the full gaja series 1-6 I think along with other fancy stuff (chieftan sieries, what the hell was that)

Before you go all "you dont learn martial arts from dvd's" on me, I have attended Ron Balicki's seminars many times and he doesn't really explain what the hell is the point of all of this.

Maybe it's just that old adage "There wouldn't be prostitutes if there weren't customers willing to pay for it" Meaning that obviously the inosanto guys such as Mr Balicki are obviously extremely accomplished martial artists but keep teaching questionable fancy stuff to sell dreams for cash

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 5:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the only reason those damn FMA lovers carry thick sticks is because the art originally evolved from george-michael style cruising activities.. the machetes made them bleed too much

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 6:00pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm aware this is Silat Serak, but this is pretty much exactly the stuff I'm talking about. Any FMA empty hands systems teach this amazingly awesome looking stuff which I have absolutely no idea how you can apply it

Mr Balicki is in the video as well and he also teaches this stuff at seminars which I have attended numerous times.

YouTube - Inosanto - Silat

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 6:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why did he tap? that wasn't a kimura!!!
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast