Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 8:26pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by physics_is_fun View Post
    Assuming everyone might have a knife is paranoid to the point of being ridiculous (unless you have reason to believe you are being targeted for assassination...)
    For lack of a better way to put it, the street is not the ring. Any police officer, bouncer, or anyone else who has been involved in violence will tell you that assuming that you are involved in an unarmed situation that is only going to stay unarmed is foolishly ignorant.

and you risk being knocked the **** out if you are not competent (i.e. spent all your time training FMA) at Western boxing (and elbows).
    This is a strawman fallacy, because no one in this thread has said that you should only train FMA and ignore boxing or other crosstraining.

Spend all your time training boxing and you risk being taken down and GnPed if you are not competent at grappling.

If all you can do is post strawmen, don't post at all.

What has been said is that you cannot assume that violence is going to accept your paradigm of ring-based behavior.

People usually carry knifes to intimate others -- they want you to see it and decide against "boxing" them!
    A simple survey of police reports regarding stabbings will show you just how wrong you are, child.:jerkit2yf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 8:34pm

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

People usually carry knifes to intimate others -- they want you to see it and decide against "boxing" them!
    That...is a bit of a ridiculous generalisation.

come on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 5:57am

Style: mostly FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just read this thread and feel compelled to express my support for Ammar's point of view. Assuming everyone might have a knife is paranoid to the point of being ridiculous (unless you have reason to believe you are being targeted for assassination...) and you risk being knocked the **** out if you are not competent (i.e. spent all your time training FMA) at Western boxing (and elbows).
    Human Weapon is probably not the best place to look for references on a regular basis but I thought this was pretty interesting. (4:30 and onward)

At what point do they notice the knives? While being stabbed.

'Some' people use the knife for intimidation only. They will probably still stab you if you put up too much of a fuss and make them feel uneasy. I believe that would usually fall under robbery, rape or strong arming.

'Some' people bring it with you in particular in mind. THAT is assassination.

'Some' people bring it just in case. They haven't seen or heard of you until that day, but it doesn't change their stance of shanking people as part of handling business. Many streetfighters are like that.

'Some' people might improvise a weapon from what they find lying around. Glassing?

'Some' people inflict violence on others while in the comfort of their or someone else's home. A place where knives are readily available 1 or 2 rooms away in the kitchen.

I see that you listed Edinburgh as your home city. Out of curiosity I tried googling "stabbings edinburgh statistics" since I know that Scotland has a bit of a reputation.

I didn't find anything specific for Edinburgh but quite a few for Glasgow and London, England.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...ls-737329.html
    http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n35161991/
    http://clippednews.wordpress.com/200...tal-of-europe/
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...tatistics.html

Admitted, I've only been to Glasgow once and Edinburgh once and they both seemed very nice to me. I was a bit shocked to hear the statistics later on. Since you live in the area, would you mind adding anything further?

Lots of people will read this thread and roll their eyes at the contortions you subjected Ammar to. Its biomechanical bullshido to think that FMA weapons techniques use efficient movements for unarmed strikes.
    Some of the weapons techniques translate well to unarmed fighting but it's not 100%. Which means that FMA empty hands as I have experienced it isn't copy/paste. It does however share a common theme with armed fighting. That common theme as I see it is mainly weapon's awareness. Something you sadly don't see in too many other MA systems.

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 9:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ryu Kyu Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Empty Hands

every thing you can do with a stick you can do with your hands thats how Remy presas and the other grand masters set it up cuase your not always going to have a baston or barong in your hands so they came up with emtpy hand way of doing everything.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 6:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you post again using bold and large fonts, poor grammar, and without adding a single thing to the discussion, you may find yourself banned. Understood?

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 5:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    @ Ammar, you seem to still cling to the ridiculous assertion that you can predict the existence of a weapon.
    My personal experience assuming such was nearly fatal.
    I punched the guy hard enough to fold his eyebrow down over his eye. (So much for boxing)
    He then shot in and i pulled guard, getting a guillotine.
    I was stabbed six times before i could put him out, i was simply lucky he didn't hit anything important.(so much for bjj)
    I never saw the weapon until it was coming towards my ribs and he was in my guard.
    Had i done the "proper" move and gone for the kimura at that point, i dunno, i might not even be here today.
    I'm just glad the choke finally worked.
    I urge you to reconsider your position, it is quite ignorant.
    Jesus.

This is a picture that is worth more than even a thousand words
    Sorry for your pain but you learned from it and you say words that reflect clear comprehension.

Yes.

This experience says things that we can try to tell people like the OP with his Kantian Misunderstandings, but people have to listen, the OP is not which is why I stopped posting in this thread. I usually like threads that involve Kant and the martial. haha.

On a related story.... Fairbanes once wrote about challenge matches in a village in Vietnam... without fail as he said it the match would proceed thusly: person A would start to hammer person B relentlessly.. eventually person B falls down and person A mounts to continue hammering person B who while on the ground sticks hand in pocket pulls out blade and sticks it into kidneys of person A as he is continually pounded... person B is left a bloody pulp as person A triumphantly climbs up and off B turns to look around for a moment before dropping dead with multiple stab wounds to the kidney.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 6:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    For lack of a better way to put it, the street is not the ring. Any police officer, bouncer, or anyone else who has been involved in violence will tell you that assuming that you are involved in an unarmed situation that is only going to stay unarmed is foolishly ignorant.

This is a strawman fallacy, because no one in this thread has said that you should only train FMA and ignore boxing or other crosstraining.

Spend all your time training boxing and you risk being taken down and GnPed if you are not competent at grappling.

What has been said is that you cannot assume that violence is going to accept your paradigm of ring-based behavior.

A simple survey of police reports regarding stabbings will show you just how wrong you are, child.:jerkit2yf

I can almosat guarantee that the companion volume to this argument will make an appearance on this thread, either from the Op or this guy you are responding too>

Ok so we have seen Tweedle d here is tweedle dumb...."If they do pull or have a knife what does it matter? they will stab you anyway, might as well just lay down and die. Lord knows one cannot defend against a knife!"

This is my other favorite generalisation.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 7:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post

I can almosat guarantee that the companion volume to this argument will make an appearance on this thread, either from the Op or this guy you are responding too>

Ok so we have seen Tweedle d here is tweedle dumb...."If they do pull or have a knife what does it matter? they will stab you anyway, might as well just lay down and die. Lord knows one cannot defend against a knife!"

This is my other favorite generalisation.

Posted On:
    8/02/2010 7:32pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that selling someone a line that they can learn to consistently defend against the knife while not being cut or stabbed is a line of ****...which is not to be confused with "don't even bother to learn knife defenses". Which some instructors like to turn the former point into.

Posted On:
    8/03/2010 12:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I think that selling someone a line that they can learn to consistently defend against the knife while not being cut or stabbed is a line of ****...which is not to be confused with "don't even bother to learn knife defenses". Which some instructors like to turn the former point into.
    TADA!!!!! Mention the devil and he will appear.... sometimes disguised as a more moderate viewpoint even!

Boy it did not take you long to come over here and make sure that this information "tgraced" the present thread.

COme on man... break with the petty descriptives man.... consistently?

Knife defense is a skill like any other. You can learn a great deal about it and in so doing learn about the knife as a weapon. It is a very dangerous weapon for sure... untrained, trained, double edged single edged, sword, etc. defending against a knife is part of learning about a knife.

Yes it is dangerous so are all weapons. It may be the most dangerous close range weapon of all, so be it, there are ways to deal with it.