Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:56pm

Style: Kung Fu combat wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How much will a good diet help my BJJ and mma performance?

I'm trying to get off the Del Taco, Taco Bell, soda and fast food. It's really fucking hard. I'm wondering how much my BJJ will improve if I go on a good diet. What aspects will improve? Will it be a significant difference?

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 11:09pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an idea: Why don't you tell us in your next martial arts FAQ?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 11:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm wondering how much my BJJ will improve if I go on a good diet. What aspects will improve? Will it be a significant difference?
    I think it'll depend on how your own body reacts. For example, I remember Michael Phelps being interviewed and he talked about how he actually has a very poor diet (how he eats junk food and such). He has also apparently indulged in recreational drug use from time to time as well. And yet he dominated/dominates his sport of choice. On the other hand, some people report that they couldn't make much progress in things like body building and various sports until they cut all the junk food and such out of their lives. It's hard to say what changes you might see. Regarding benefits, the first thing that comes to mind is that most people who cut out junk food and replace it with healthier food probably have a lower percentage of bodyfat. You might still be the same weight, let's say 180 lbs., but you'll be a more muscular 180 lbs, which has obvious advantages in sports and the martial arts.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 2:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much will a good diet help my BJJ and mma performance?
    A lot.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 2:44am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It won't help you as much as when you stop asking a bunch of random MA questions with no intention of contributing anything back, Mr. sandleech2.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 9:08pm

Style: xBJJ xTKD ninpo nusubito

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was gonna post a sensible answer, then I saw the OP, so I told myself "fuckit"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 9:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erdrickgr View Post
    For example, I remember Michael Phelps being interviewed and he talked about how he actually has a very poor diet (how he eats junk food and such). He has also apparently indulged in recreational drug use from time to time as well. And yet he dominated/dominates his sport of choice.
    This sounds like BS to me. He was probably trying to make friends with the interviewer and the viewing public by sounding like a typical slob. He wants to be liked to maximize the endorsement money.

He might splurge on junk food here and there, but only after he eats enough healthy stuff. Neither he nor his coaches would allow him to train without proper fuel.

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 10:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Lamb View Post
    This sounds like BS to me. He was probably trying to make friends with the interviewer and the viewing public by sounding like a typical slob. He wants to be liked to maximize the endorsement money.

He might splurge on junk food here and there, but only after he eats enough healthy stuff. Neither he nor his coaches would allow him to train without proper fuel.
    the whole Michael Phelps thing shows how out of wack nutritional health is in America, well that and the 42% +/- obesity rate.

If you're swimming 6-10 hrs a day, you need about 6,000 calories or more depending on intensity of your exercise. You are burning up calories at such a tremendous rate that you can basically eat crap because it never stays in your system that long. Junk food works very well for ultra-endurance athletes because they need the calories to burn up so it doesn't exactly matter if its from a cous-cous salad with lean turkey, sprouts, sliced almonds and etc or its an extra-large hawiian style pizza and a strawberry shortcake dessert.

The average dickhead, or below-average: like Sandbag2, needs about 2,000 calories per day. And that's calories from good stuff like quality meats, veggies, fruit. The same as Phelps would eat if he wasn't in full training mode.

How fucking hard is this for people to get? If you eat **** and way too much of it, and you don't exercise it off, it will effect your performance. RRAAARRRHHHH!!!!:angry4:
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 11:23am

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    the whole Michael Phelps thing shows how out of wack nutritional health is in America, well that and the 42% +/- obesity rate.

If you're swimming 6-10 hrs a day, you need about 6,000 calories or more depending on intensity of your exercise. You are burning up calories at such a tremendous rate that you can basically eat crap because it never stays in your system that long. Junk food works very well for ultra-endurance athletes because they need the calories to burn up so it doesn't exactly matter if its from a cous-cous salad with lean turkey, sprouts, sliced almonds and etc or its an extra-large hawiian style pizza and a strawberry shortcake dessert.

The average dickhead, or below-average: like Sandbag2, needs about 2,000 calories per day. And that's calories from good stuff like quality meats, veggies, fruit. The same as Phelps would eat if he wasn't in full training mode.

How fucking hard is this for people to get? If you eat **** and way too much of it, and you don't exercise it off, it will effect your performance. RRAAARRRHHHH!!!!:angry4:
    A couple of biologist friends of mine told me that some people (elite athlete types) burn fat for energy more efficiently than carbohydrate. I may be misquoting/misunderstanding a little but I think that was the gist.

Posted On:
    9/03/2009 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what it's not that a better diet will "help" your BJJ. It will help your athletic performance and there is little if any correlation between the two.
    Well what I said is not entirely true. It will help your half-guard game specifically and align your chakras allowing you to make stronger chi-balls.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast