Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 7:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu san soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Any Former Students of Master Jimmy Woo?

My neighbor was studying kung fu san soo with Grand Master Jimmy Woo when he was teaching in El Monte, CA I think, around 1982-83. I knew nothing about kung fu san soo at the time, but I remember my friend talking about working with Master Woo and the San Soo style that he was teaching. I watched my friend go through moves with his sparring partner. Some sparring was to the point of full, but controlled contact. Both students had suffered some accidental full strikes and blood was flowing. I know, because I went in the freezer to get some ice to stop the bleeding.

My friend was moving at an impressive rate of skill working with Master Woo. He was very lucky to work with Jimmy Woo at the time and had the utmost respect for the Master.

Has anyone here that had personal San Soo instruction from Master Woo care to discuss their experience working and studying the art with him?

Thanks for your response

katt

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 8:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll bug a friend of mine to post about training with some of Jimmy Woo's students. He may or may not, not much of an online chit-chat he is.

As you can expect, there's good and bad. Like rich-kid inheritors of a great wealth, they often take it for granted.

On the whole, I'd say that KFSS sucks these days, thanks to the idiotic efforts of such individuals...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 9:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe Tim Cartmell studied with Jimmy Woo. He doesn't post here, however.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Master Woo

Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    I'll bug a friend of mine to post about training with some of Jimmy Woo's students. He may or may not, not much of an online chit-chat he is.

As you can expect, there's good and bad. Like rich-kid inheritors of a great wealth, they often take it for granted.

On the whole, I'd say that KFSS sucks these days, thanks to the idiotic efforts of such individuals...

Serge, what has happened to KFSS that has lowered the style? Are you a student of the style yourself? If so, what is your take or opinion pro or con on the style? What other styles do you recommend? Thanks
    katt

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 11:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm passing on second hand information, but from a very reliable source. I'm not going to name names as I don't have 1st hand experience so that would be irresponsible; but I do understand the complaint that its basically drifted from its roots.

Jimmy was an enforcer, the type of cat you didn't mess with and a select few of his students took his teachings to heart. As well as the spirit of the art he studied and how hard and dedicated he was about it.

Basically, you're looking to avoid people who have turned KFSS into a display of skill that includes lots of sound and fury but not much substance.

With my comrade, I've showed him stuff from Combat Sambo and he's showed me stuff from KFSS "it's not San Soo if you don't kick him in the nuts...twice" and I see some strong parallels.

I really can't speak to any "purity of lineage" as I don't have first-hand study, but I totally understand the "Americanized-dojo" pollution that has happened over time. Happens frequently when you can make $$ from teaching rather than from being a strongarm. Not that you want to be beating up the mom&pop laundromat to prove you are a badass, but you don't get that kind of veritas doing demos in front of white suburbanites either
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 11:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Master Woo

Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    I'm passing on second hand information, but from a very reliable source. I'm not going to name names as I don't have 1st hand experience so that would be irresponsible; but I do understand the complaint that its basically drifted from its roots.

Jimmy was an enforcer, the type of cat you didn't mess with and a select few of his students took his teachings to heart. As well as the spirit of the art he studied and how hard and dedicated he was about it.

Basically, you're looking to avoid people who have turned KFSS into a display of skill that includes lots of sound and fury but not much substance.

With my comrade, I've showed him stuff from Combat Sambo and he's showed me stuff from KFSS "it's not San Soo if you don't kick him in the nuts...twice" and I see some strong parallels.

I really can't speak to any "purity of lineage" as I don't have first-hand study, but I totally understand the "Americanized-dojo" pollution that has happened over time. Happens frequently when you can make $$ from teaching rather than from being a strongarm. Not that you want to be beating up the mom&pop laundromat to prove you are a badass, but you don't get that kind of veritas doing demos in front of white suburbanites either
    Thanks serge. I understand. I'm new, so bear with me. What is Combat Sambo? Never heard of it. Is it a newer MA style for self defense/sport?

I realize some MA dojos have become "belt farms", in it only for the money rather than respect the tradition of the art.

I signed up for KFSS classes years back when a good friend introduced me to it. I really liked the master instructor and what he was teaching. However, I got injured and had to drop out, wish I could continue, but...too old hehe.

katt