Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:47pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find many of the movements I learned in aikido useful or even sneaky for use in bjj. What I did not find useful was the method of practice. I was unable to apply any of these movements until about a year of horrible failures in trying to apply them in bjj class. In contrast to my judo or bjj training in which I was able to apply the movements after a very short time or practice.

In short, neat to know if you have spare time, but I wouldn't personally bother if you are just bjj/mma focused.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't this be more effective with Tomiki Aikido?

I'm still a newbie, so take this with a grain of salt.

I mean, Tomiki Aikido is the only form of Aikido with competition. So wouldn't that be the best style to try to incorporate things into since the techniques are supposed to "work" in competitions?

I mean if you wanna help the Aikikai guys out, one big thing you need to do is get them to cut out all the circle **** they do. I mean that **** doesn't work for anything.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 11:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a BJJ black belt who uses Hapkido Pressure points while rolling, he is also apparently immune to duck punching and despite being a Judo black belt (before he learned of BJJ) he pretty much exclusively uses the body lock, takedowns in MMA.

Basically his a strange BB...

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 7:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    Or more making your Aikido less crap tastic by giving you effective moves
    My aikido has a lot of effective moves but my bjj instructor told me that hitting people with big wooden sticks is unsportsmanlike.

:XXjester:

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 9:26am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you do any standard aikido techniques in live BJJ rolling? Consistently? And I'm not talking about the occasional wristlock on the the ground. I mean something recognizably like standing/kneeling ikkyo, shiho nage, yonkyo (lol) etc.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 9:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have done full on sparring with my aikido instructor (he is also a nidan in karate and has trained in okinawa). I have successfully applied ikkyo, a nishio style nikkyo, kaitenage, and iriminage during those sparring sessions. Nothing looked like what it does during compliant practice and it definitely takes a couple of hits to the head of your opponent before you can apply a technique. He mostly utilized iriminage against me. When he tried to apply ikkyo or nikkyo I would roll out into a position to apply an armbar.

Aikido definitely needs to use more sparring to create more effective practitioners.

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 10:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Do you do any standard aikido techniques in live BJJ rolling? Consistently? And I'm not talking about the occasional wristlock on the the ground. I mean something recognizably like standing/kneeling ikkyo, shiho nage, yonkyo (lol) etc.
    I had managed more ikkyos than flying triangles. And enough hip throws and kokyu throws that only noobs try rolling with me starting on feet, vets don't like going airborne. Consistently enough?

It looks like kata? No, as judo throws in randori don't look like judo kata nor bjj guard passing while rolling looks like textbook "how do standing guard pass 101".

Posted On:
    9/02/2009 10:48am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm interested to see what that looks like. Those are the sort of techniques that look like they could work.

Most Judo throws and BJJ techniques look pretty close to how they're practiced, when applied, right down to the details.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123