Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:45am

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido + BJJ = ?

I recently got a newsletter from an aikido website which included an article about a new DVD "The San Franscisco aikido project" where, apparently some Aikido and BJJ practitioners got together to put techniques from the two arts together (see below).

I'm not necessarily interested in this DVD, but I am interested in what people think about combining techniques from aikido and BJJ. What can aikido add to BJJ? What does BJJ add to aikido (groundfighting and alive training are obvious possibilities).

Any posters who have or do practice both arts, do they work in a complementary fashion?

"We are pleased to announce an outstanding new DVD featuring Christian Tissier, James Friedman, Bruce Bookman, and Clovis Silva as they appeared at the recently-held San Francisco Aikido Project. These top Aikido and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructors participated in the event hosted by the Suginami Aiki in June 2009 in San Francisco, California.
    This information-packed DVD you wonít want to miss captures highlights of these mastersí seminars taught in an intimate setting that attracted many advanced martial artists. The programs runs a full 108 minutes filled with expert instruction and demonstrations.
    The San Francisco Aikido Project is the brainchild of James Friedman Sensei of the Suginami Aikikai. This annual event has been held three years running and emphasizes a variety of Aikido styles while offering the opportunity of crosstraining in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Tai in a safe, supporting atmosphere.
    The four featured instructors are world-class martial artists whose decades of experience will provide countless insights for the serious Aikido practitioner and jujutsu aficionado. We present bios of each instructor below:
    James Friedman Sensei, 5th dan Chief Instructor, Suginami Aikikai, San Francisco

Born in 1959, Friedman began Aikido training in 1980 at the age of twenty at the Oakland Aikido Institute in Oakland, California. In the late 1980ís he began traveling to Tokyo where he met Hiroshi Kato Sensei becoming his first American student. Friedmanís approach to Aikido is unique as he stresses hard training and conditioning with an emphasis on practical application, while retaining a very relaxed physical state. He has crosstrained extensively in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Thai Kick boxing. Friedman is the founder and chief instructor of the Suginami Aikikai.
    Christian Tissier Sensei, 7th dan Chief Instructor, Cercle Christian Tissier, Paris, France

Christian Tissier was born in Paris in 1951 and began Aikido in 1962. In 1969, he traveled to Japan where he studied for seven years under famous masters, notably Seigo Yamaguchi and Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba. Tissier returned to Paris to found the Cercle Tissier and became one of the leading figures of the French FFAAA organization. He travels all over the world conducting seminars and is one of Aikidoís most highly regarded instructors.
    Bruce Bookman Sensei Tenzan Aikido, Kai-cho

Bruce Bookmanís Aikido practice began as a child in New York City. As a young man he spent two years in Japan training at the Aikikai Hombu Dojo. Besides Yoshimitsu Yamada, Bookman counts Kisshomaru Ueshiba and other Hombu Dojo instructors as major influences. He also spent 16 years practicing under T.K. Chiba, a live-in disciple of Founder Morihei Ueshiba. Bookman has an extensive background in Brazilian Jiu jitsu, Iai-do, judo, boxing and tae kwon do. He currently operates the Tenzan Aikido Center in Seattle, Washington.
    Professor Clovis Silva, 5th dan Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Team Carlson Gracie

Born in 1965, Silva grew up in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. He began training 26 years ago and holds the rank of 4th degree black belt under the late Master Carlson Gracie. He is considered one of the top ten most technical fighters Carlson Gracie ever produced. Silva won many title fights and was four-time Brazilian Jiu-jitsu champion. His goal in teaching is to help build a solid foundation in self-defense through the teachings of BJJ as well as helping students build confidence and self-esteem. Silva is currently a professional bodyguard in San Francisco and teaches at the Suginami Aikikai."

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paging Roy Dean.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:48am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And Jason Delucia.

And Chris Hein, right?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about paging me, biatch?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 11:03am

Style: Bas Rutten tapes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DCS,

I think it was your blog that had an awesome video of performing ikkyo and rolling it into an armbar if the person tries to escape? Remember that? That was awesome.

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 11:05am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    What about paging me, biatch?
    I, er, uh...

that is, um...see, I....

Oh goodness.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 11:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido + BJJ = **** + Ice Cream****

***won't mess up the ****, but will certainly mess up the ice cream.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 11:23am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnevans View Post
    DCS,

I think it was your blog that had an awesome video of performing ikkyo and rolling it into an armbar if the person tries to escape? Remember that? That was awesome.
    It's not me in the clip. It's Roy Dean, the guy 1.2 mentioned before.

Btw, I've been in the receiving end of the same technique performed by my aikido instructor (regional Judo medalist back in the 70's) way before I knew about Dean.

On topic:

Yes, I practise both aikido and bjj. For me are complementary arts, and not only in the technical aspect. What you learn in one art is also useful in the other. For instance:

Aikido gave me a better understanding of kuzushi, and being anal about technique, not muscling, drill a lot, roll relaxed, go with the flow, your training partners are not your enemies.... things like that make better progression in jits.

Bjj gave me aliveness, resistence training, get used to be under pressure, better weight distribution, core strenght/stability... things that make my aikido a more functional art.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 11:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have experience in BJJ, but I do have experience in both aikido and judo. I find that the principals of the two arts are similar. Aikido is good for keeping at a distance and judo has more techniques for clinching and of course the ground. Judo, and I imagine bjj, will give you the knowledge and experience to be able to make the aikido techniques work. One thing aikido fails at is not utilizing kuzushi (off balancing) to create an opening so that the techniques can be applied.

That being said look for styles of aikido that concentrate more on the martial than the art: Iwama, Nishio, and Yoshinkan would all be good styles to study.

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 2:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lostitagain View Post
    One thing aikido fails at is not utilizing kuzushi (off balancing) to create an opening so that the techniques can be applied.
    Because aikido looks for create an opening to generate kuzushi, as in JKD's "attack by drawing" (watch this Dailymotion - Jeet Kune Do Groud Fighting Attack by Drawing - a Sports & Extreme video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x828hi_jeet@@AMEPARAM@@x828hi_jeet for some examples of said principle in bjj) or Kendo/Kenjutsu debana waza.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast