just putting that out there...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't tell what is shittier...the thread or the video.

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 9:19am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, what a horrible, horrible clip. "Hey, we've got 20 minutes to kill, why don't we shoot the teaser for that pressure point video?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:09am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never thought I would see the day that Sayoc Kali would go this direction.

Are they trying to jump on the Dillweed, I meant Dillman, bandwagon? What's Bo and Chris thinking?

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 10:50am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not new I think. They've been mentioning it on the forums for years, although i'd never actually seen anybody working the material.

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 2:38pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh damn. Why? WHY?!!!

I swear, I love good FMA. And the Sayocs have some good stuff. But this mystical deathtouch **** that just totally turns me off. Quit with the fucking hocus pocus, and keep to the stick and blade work that you're actually good at.

So many FMA stylists want to convince themselves that their systems have fucking everything in it. Just stop it. There's no reason to include an answer to every dumb ass concoction that other systems include.

Swing sticks. Use blades. Throw in a few empty hand strikes. Maybe a takedown or two and a bit of rudimentary grappling. Call it a fucking day.

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 2:54pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least he admits it's impossible to do.

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 3:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree with the sentiments expressed on this thread so far. With the caveat I would like to respectfully hear what some other FMA and some Sayoc guys have to say here is where I am coming from:

a) When Chris made the are template as opposed to movement based, in a sense you trade peter for paul. there is **** you can now do and **** you lose out on in some fundamental respects. The movement of good FMA is glorious when done right but with template based training you can teach more people, codify stuff that was originally folk art material passed in people's back yards,e tc.

Another thing you can do with vital areas templates is stress points and how to attack them on the human anatomy.. chris emphasizes this and... it has always been part of the art but this understanding lets the art evolve in a direction where one can thoroughly deal with attacking different points (angle of attack, attaking internally, externally, type of weapon used to attack).

It is natural to evolve to a point where you isolate points to attack that are more vulnerable. It is a natural progression of an art based on vital point templates to do this. The Sayac guys have the understanding of precision and angle of attack why should they not be able to attack those points properly with the hand as a weapon? Its a natural evolution of the art.

I have always liked the Sayoc guys I played with. They understand precision, how to do things based on proper movement and angle, etc... I do not agree with all their stuff but I respect it and I believe that they could make these manuveors work if done right. Lets see what big boy and his brigade can do with this evolution of the art... I have confidance that we will see some good material.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 3:53pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is nothing new on the part of the Sayoc's. There is a pressure point demo in the 2003 Sama Sama DVD. As for the rest, I have some of the same concerns about the Sayoc material though I also think quite a bit of their stuff is quite good. It really depends on what you are looking for. The Sayoc system in general is taking a turn in a somewhat different direction which has caused some long time Sayoc people to back a way a bit. Their focus on everything being a killing move, their move towards having their own radio network in case of time of emergency, and other things have caused some who are just looking for solid martial arts training to back away a bit.

I have had the fortune to train a bit in the Sayoc system and we incorporate what we have been taught into our Modern Arnis training. I have been to Seminar with Tom Kier and he was a phenomenal practitioner and I learned a good deal during the day of training.

I don't know how much focus the group is placing on the touch point as the only person I have ever seen even talk about it is Bo.

Posted On:
    9/01/2009 4:44pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So far the most sensible and useful approach to fma empty hands I have seen with an Inosanto inlaw called "Ron Balicki"

It amazes me that a lot of martial artists dont know him
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast